Subject: Groups in the Triad? (NC) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wesley T
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm relatively new to the board gaming scene and very few of my friends are unwilling to step away from risk and monopoly.
So I'd love to find to laid-back, welcoming group in the area!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yavorski
United States
Kannapolis
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a game night at Gamer's Armory on Wednesday nights (in Chapel Hill). I'm from out of town but that's my go to place when I'm in town at SAS training. I'll actually be there next wednesday (8/10) if you want to play some stuff. They have a great library and no shortage of games brought by people who attend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ciffy wrote:
There's a game night at Gamer's Armory on Wednesday nights (in Chapel Hill). I'm from out of town but that's my go to place when I'm in town at SAS training. I'll actually be there next wednesday (8/10) if you want to play some stuff. They have a great library and no shortage of games brought by people who attend.

Just to make sure everyone is on the same page, Chapel Hill is part of the Triangle area. The Triad is Greensboro, High Point, and Winston Salem. The OP doesn't (yet) have his location set, but if he is in Winston, it would be about a 2-hour drive to Chapel Hill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paperclippenguin wrote:
I'm relatively new to the board gaming scene and very few of my friends are unwilling to step away from risk and monopoly.

Welcome to board gaming and the best site on the interwebs!

There are a few gamers here, though we seem to be scattered a bit. You may like to look into game night(s) at the coffeehouse/theater "Geeksboro", though I don't think that "laid-back" might apply so well. Some folks love the place and absolutely thrive on it, others find it to be too loud, too crowded, and too clique-ish, so your mileage definitely may vary!

I myself am interested to find a laid-back and calm gaming crowd, but have had no luck so far.

PS edit: Geeksboro is in Greensboro, right where Lawndale splits from Battleground, just north of Wendover Avenue. I *think* their main game night is Friday night, but I'm sure someone else will know for sure.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yavorski
United States
Kannapolis
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:
Ciffy wrote:

Just to make sure everyone is on the same page, Chapel Hill is part of the Triangle area. The Triad is Greensboro, High Point, and Winston Salem. The OP doesn't (yet) have his location set, but if he is in Winston, it would be about a 2-hour drive to Chapel Hill.

Thanks. I got them confused obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ciffy wrote:
Gambiteer wrote:
Ciffy wrote:

Thanks. I got them confused obviously.

Not to worry, it's very easy to do!

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley T
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Sorry about that! I just added my location to my profile.

I'm actually pretty equidistant from Cary and Winston. It takes about 40-50 minutes to either depending on traffic.

Thanks for the replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paperclippenguin wrote:
Sorry about that! I just added my location to my profile.

I'm actually pretty equidistant from Cary and Winston. It takes about 40-50 minutes to either depending on traffic.

Thanks for the replies.

You must be to the east side of Greensboro if you can get to Cary in ~45 minutes. That might put you closer to Geeksboro than I am, depending on where you are, but their location has pretty good access from all directions as far as the main in-town routes go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paperclippenguin wrote:

Btw, this is kinda parallel to what you're asking, but could be something of interest to you. There are websites that host online play of "hobby"/"designer" style board games, and you may enjoy having a look at those to see if any games are available that you would like to play or learn.

The online sites lack the warmth and camaraderie of playing around the kitchen table with friends and family, but they do fill a void and can be an awful lot of fun if you find games with the right game pals.

My personal favorite is Yucata, but other folks prefer different sites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angela Mcgavisk
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few meetup groups in the area. I have been to 2 of the 3 that I know of and find the people there to be very welcoming and laid back.

https://www.meetup.com/triadgaming/
The Greenspielers meet most Friday nights in the organizers basement. They are very welcoming of new folks. I try to make it most Friday nights, but will not be able to attend for a few weeks.

https://www.meetup.com/Camel-City-Gamers/
The Camel City Gamers meet in Winston Salem on alternating Tuesday/Thursday and Saturdays and vary meeting at local restaurants and the organizers house. Again, very welcoming group. If you sign up on the site, he will try to wait for everyone to arrive to divide into play groups. I used to go frequently, but don't make it to WS very often now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/WinstonSalemGamersGuild/
I met the organizer of this other group at International Table Top Day and he was very nice, but have never made it out there to one of his events

As the person above stated there is also Geeksboro Coffee House - they have a lot of games for their patrons to use on Friday night game nights, but don't have an organizer in charge, so it can be very hard to find a group to play a game with if you come alone, and a lot of casual gamers playing loud games like cards against humanity. It is possible to find someone to game with here, but you have to be very extroverted about it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amcgavisk wrote:
The Greenspielers meet most Friday nights in the organizers basement. They are very welcoming of new folks.

Sadly, I must disagree with this, but other folks may have better luck than I did. Maybe I just caught them when they were not accepting new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley T
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Amcgavisk wrote:
There are a few meetup groups in the area. I have been to 2 of the 3 that I know of and find the people there to be very welcoming and laid back.

Thanks for the recommendations.
I'll be sure to check them out when I have the time!

I saw another group on meet up called clever head games I might check out as well. Hypermind and kit kringle aren't terribly far from me either, so they'll be looked into as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessi Swanson
msg tools
Hi Wesley,
We are also new to the High Point area and looking for fellow board gamers. My husband and I would be interested in playing some time and we have one other gaming friend. Let me know if you are still interested, it would be nice to have 4 people for some games.
Jessi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Greenspielers group seems fine to me. I'd go there more but Fridays aren't a good time for me. I went with my gf earlier in the summer and played a couple of games with someone up thread, actually.

My regular group is small and people keep moving away. Due to scheduling constraints, my gaming this year has suffered.

We play on Wednesdays, starting in the early afternoon (3-ish) and going until 9 or 10. (We could start sooner, but one of our members works third shift and isn't up.) We've almost always had a core of four people, which I like personally since most of my favorite games don't support more than four players. Our house isn't very large, but we may be able to swing a larger group with two games going. Really what we'd like is a 4th player who can make our time slot, and who has a taste for heavier games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.