18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Co-op game that tells a story rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Curtis Baumann
msg tools
Hey everybody!

So I really love co-op games! My friends and I are currently playing through pandemic legacy and are really enjoying it. For my next co-op game however, I am looking for a game that tells a great story!

Some games that I'm thinking about are:
Eldritch Horror
Mice and Mystics
T.I.M.E Stories

I am just wondering if anybody has any opinions on these games and if they tell a good story. As well if you have an opinion on a different co-op game that tells a story, then I would love to hear it

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Ghost
badge
Can't You See That You're Lost Without Me?
mbmbmbmbmb
All are good choices for a strong story. Eldritch probably has the weakest elements of this, only because the encounters you have are pretty random and usually aren't related to each other. Apart from that, I'd say go with Mice and Mystics over Time Stories since there's more content to experience at this point.

If I had to throw another option your way, I'd suggest Agents of SMERSH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maui Chris
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
Valentino Rossi Fan
badge
get this ball
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinson Crusoe!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tajemnicze Domostwo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mansions of Madness: Second Edition looks pretty great if you don't mind having an app as a Keeper player...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abel Kim
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game I'd pretty good if you can survive the sorting and set up times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flashpoint Fire Rescue tells a nice story as you rescue people from burning houses. Ghost Stories is thematic enough to do the same. Or maybe something like Shadows Over Camalot or Battlestar Galactica would fit the bill thanks to the hidden traitor mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island and its first expansion Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island – Voyage of the Beagle (Vol. 1)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aric Ashgrove
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
My favorite boardgames are tactical level wargames, action/dexterity, adventure/story telling, and civilization/4x style!
mbmbmbmbmb
Though I have not played it, Castaways should be in line with what you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
If I had to throw another option your way, I'd suggest Agents of SMERSH.

+1 to this. SMERSH is a great game and vastly underrated in my opinion. One of the best encounter books in gaming, right up there with Above and Below and Tales of the Arabian Nights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d say T.I.M.E Stories tells a verry good story.
I have played the Asylum and the Dragon Prophecy and I´m looking forward to playing the others.

Futher, the KRIMI total games come to my mind. But I´m not sure if they are available in Engish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legends of Andor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Statalyzer wrote:

+1

And, what the hex, another +1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Legends of Andor

I wonder what kind of story telling the OP has in mind. There are different approaches in the games mentioned here.

For example, in Robinson Crusoe you get very diverse scenarios with certain goals that the players must achieve to win the game. Each scenario has destinct premises and the description of the scenario sets the frame for the current game, while the players create a considerable part of the story by the way they are playing, solving the tasks, and dealing with the Situation.

Eldritch Horror or Arkham Horror have a boss monster that the players have to prevent from awakening or otherwise have to defeat in the endgame. There are very little story elements in the game frame (most of them are set by the environment and the whole of the Lovecraftian universe). Some of the Old Ones change various conditions during the game and especially in Eldritch Horror they get their own mysteries and special decks.
The task is always the same, but the story unfolds during the game while the players have different encounters each time and can choose from an abundance of investigators.

Legends of Andor is again different because in this case the game itself tells the story through the progressing chapters while the chapters themselves mainly stage a play with a task - in fact more of a puzzle - for the players to solve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondkalb123 wrote:
+1 for Legends of Andor

I wonder what kind of story telling the OP has in mind. There are different approaches in the games mentioned here.

For example, in Robinson Crusoe you get very diverse scenarios with certain goals that the players must achieve to win the game. Each scenario has destinct premises and the description of the scenario sets the frame for the current game, while the players create a considerable part of the story by the way they are playing, solving the tasks, and dealing with the situation,

Eldritch Horror or Arkham Horror have a boss monster that the players have to prevent from awakening or otherwise have to defeat in the endgame. There are very little story elements in the game frame (most of them are set by the environment and the whole of the Lovecraftian universe). Some of the Old Ones change various conditions during the game and especially in Eldritch Horror they get their own mysteries and special decks.
The task is always the same, but the story unfolds during the game while the players have different encounters each time and can choose from an abundance of investigators.

Legends of Andor is again different because in this case the game itself tells the story through the progressing chapters while the chapters themselves mainly stage a play with a task - in fact more of a puzzle - for the players to solve.

Great summary / overview.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've had some very fun story telling experiences with both Galaxy Defenders and Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients. However, the game itself doesn't really tell the story. But as you think about the events that occurred, you can easily construct a story around those events. Don't know if that's what you're looking for.

Another option or two if you can wait for their release:

Gloomhaven
Perdition's Mouth: Abyssal Rift
The 7th Continent

All these votes for Legends of Andor may have me looking at that one again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Forhan
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) - Using POD co-op expansions or new Road to Legend app. Very good story.
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game - Both co-op and competitive for scoring. Not as strong on story, but it can be there with the right combination of Mastermind, Scheme, and Villain groups.
Lord of the Rings - One of my favorite co-ops, with great theme/story and tense gameplay.
Forbidden Desert - A lighter game than the others, but still has a neat but simple storyline where you are recovering artifacts for your steampunk flying ship to escape the treacherous desert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.