Subject: Unique Games from China rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivan Espineda
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Everyone!

I have a friend coming here from China so I thought I'll ask if she can buy me games from there.

Are there anything particularly unique from the Country? Something that can only be bought there?

Something with no in-game text would be great.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caesar Julius
msg tools
Majone...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The most popular traditional board games in China are Mahjong and, to a lesser extent Xiangqi (the Chinese version of traditional Chess, quite different fromt he Western version). Mahjong is of course widely played and available throughout the world, Xiangqi is probably a bit harder to find. The only popular modern board games I have encountered belong to the San Guo Sha line, but they have massive in-game text and I don't know if an English version is available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Yan
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
... The only popular modern board games I have encountered belong to the San Guo Sha line, but they have massive in-game text and I don't know if an English version is available.

An official English version of it (Legends of the Three Kingdoms) is available, but...
1. Apparently it was translated by Chinese, so the English writing might not seem graceful;
2. It might be easier/cheaper to get it overseas than in China.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned, the only ones that don't really rely on heavy amounts of text are MahJong and XiangQi. Of course, Go/WeiQi is another option, but what you're left with are three distinctly traditional games (All decent in their way though).

The only other game with any traction that you *may* find text-light are the crazy number of mafia/werewolf/spy games that exist.

You'll also find numerous variations of "Army Chess" (similar to XiangQi, but distinctly different enough to be a game all on its own) and Flight Chess (Which is basically Ludo. Beyond this, you are pretty much taking a ride to knock-off city. The gaming scene *is* improving slowly, but the home grown games are pretty text heavy and that makes them daunting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Medvinskiy
United States
Folcroft
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There is a chinese verion of Ticket to Ride. Besides that, nothing "unique". You better find a friend in Japan - tons of games here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.