BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Taking the time to reflect... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
Browsing some of the many forums I frequent something has come to my attention that I find to be rather special;

I have been on the internet since I was about 14 years old (it really wasn't common to even have a home internet connection in Belgium during the late 80's early 90's) and have seen almost every kind of forum and group conversation there is out there.

The thing that struck me just hours ago is that of all the forums and communities I have encountered since, this one right here, on BGG, is of another level.

- People are courteous to one another
- People make an effort to make their arguments hold up
- People criticize each other but more often than not in a very adult manner
- People are open to discuss new ideas and suggestions
- People are open to helping out new members in any way, shape or form

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I get the distinct feeling that the way this forum and its community handles itself is a hallmark for what behavior on the internet should be like (some exceptions are of course out there but they are in an obvious minority).

The fact that it also is a thriving international community makes it even more spectacular. I have encountered little to no bigotry or racism and when I did the community had already stepped in and set the matter straight.

Kudos to you, BGG community, this is not an easy thing to achieve or even maintain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dank u for coming here and saying this maat.

It is obviously an achievement of this community and the result of the hard work of moderators and BGG staff.

I am proud of being part of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It might be something to do with the hobby. We sit around a table with other people and play a game by the rules. It doesn't really work if we are rude or cheat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett B
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed.

I'm always impressed by how civil this place is compared to the rest of the Internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The obvious conclusion: Gaming makes people better people!

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giovanni Wassen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never visited RSP I see
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
extatix wrote:
Never visited RSP I see

That's possibly one of the main reasons why BGG is successful. I reckon most visitors to BGG are completely unaware of RSP and long may that continue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
I have wondered into RSP territory but even there it pales in comparison to the filth people will sometimes produce when talking about those subjects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Pincumbe
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
It certainly beats the sports and political forums I've seen. I've seen other gaming sites with less overall snark, though, such as my all-time favorite (heroscapers.com). I also partake in some private forums that are pretty civil.

But, yeah, it's solid overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is controversial, but I give props to the moderation here. They stay on top of things. RSP also gives them a place to send threads that might get volatile too, which keeps the gaming forums pretty peaceful.

It's true though. I've joined many forums, just to lurk. This is the first one I've ever actively contributed to. That's due to the relatively reasonable nature of most users here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
The board game community's pretty good as a whole. A bit too politically correct, but it's better than the opposite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
C3Gaming wrote:
The board game community's pretty good as a whole. A bit too politically correct, but it's better than the opposite.

I would tend to agree there, but I love how even when there are disagreements on sometimes touchy subjects it never escalates into a shouting match .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found some great pockets of welcoming gamers on BGG. I also almost left in week 1 because I had the opposite experience of OP. However, having been here for, what, a couple years now (on and off, but still), I agree with his assessment wholeheartedly.

Active administration and moderation helps, as someone earlier said. I modded a forum for years, and the site's admin/owner basically abandoned it after a while. The community was strong enough that it kept going, but it became a shell of its original self in terms of both traffic and the courteousness of the dialogue as a result. Even disagreeing with individual decisions - which is inevitable in larger communities - isn't the issue; having those who are active and care about the community is by far the strongest indicator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus-Gunther Herzog
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nofunatalll wrote:
I have wondered into RSP territory but even there it pales in comparison to the filth people will sometimes produce when talking about those subjects.

Heck, REAL politicians (especially current candidates in the USA) could learn something about proper behavior by visiting RSP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.