The Others» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Sins player advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
adam petra
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
So now that some of us have the game and have managed to squish a few plays in, has anyone got any advice for the Sins player?

I've played two games so far, and I guess both were very close losses I managed to kill 3 characters each time, and in my second game I got really close to killing the 4th but due to how movement works, and that players can just perform an action (cleanse) in a monster space without killing monsters, I didn't have the last opportunity to kill that player.

I'm wondering if it would be best to stack monsters in a space meaning they need to effectively suicide in to complete a mission, or if it's better spreading them out to try and delay movement or do passive wounding when they need to move out.

In my second game, the players managed to kill 8-10 monsters in the first round, that made things really tough, I could barely keep enough in the game to have a detrimental effect I've since learned to keep as many monsters as possibly inside districts/buildings so they can't simply be shot away.

One thing I found really confusing is with the dark past cards. They're revealed when a players corruption hits max at the end of their turn, and one of the cards is "player takes 3 wounds or 3 corruption". If they take corruption at that point, they're just going to take wounds. I can't think of any reason why at the end of their turn they would just drop in corruption, so it seems really weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Knees
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Haven't played the game yet, so cannot comment. I was thinking the same thing as you regarding the dark past card And looked into it. I think there is a way to force a player to reveal their dark past card prematurely, which would explain the two options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JJJBonez wrote:
Haven't played the game yet, so cannot comment. I was thinking the same thing as you regarding the dark past card And looked into it. I think there is a way to force a player to reveal their dark past card prematurely, which would explain the two options.

Bingo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott LeBlanc
United States
Lyman
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your whole purpose as the sins player is to put the faith players in a position where taking corruption looks like a good choice or putting them in a position where they don't have a choice but to take it. I ran demos for two days for CMON. The game is balanced pretty well so your wins or losses will likely be close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samurai Munky

Westford
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
with regard to the dark past, it was my understanding that they would be revealed if that player hit max corruption during their turn.

the card would not be revealed until the end of turn, which meant a hero would have time (maybe using their city token to cure corruption or maybe through items) to heal some of their corruption, but still reveal the dark past card.

I have only played the terror scenario, so haven't actually had games in with them yet. just my understanding from my read through of the rules.

One advice I would suggest is keeping your altars open so that you keep drawing sin cards. Our sin player dumped all their cards round 1 our hero team was able to move to the altars and keep the sin player hindered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.