Subject: Autobahn Card- Can you relocate air forces? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve S
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
On the autobahn card, you are allowed to move (relocate) armies to other in-supply locations. The card specifically says 'armies.'

However, the card was written before the Air Marshall Expansion, so we didn't know whether it is now intended to exclude air forces, or it was just an oversight. And we thought it could be interpreted either way.

On the one hand, the card, if taken literally, says 'armies,' which would then exclude air forces from being relocated.

On the other hand, it seems logically that air forces should be 'relocatable.' The whole point of the card is to shift one's focus of (ground) attack, and air forces, when located with armies, are essentially part of (supporting) a ground force. And conceptually, relocating a ground army by driving it should be similar to relocating an air force (by driving the fuel trucks, and supporting equipment), in a way that relocating a navy (which the original card was specifically written to exclude) would not. And furthermore, it would be an odd weakness to the card to not be able to relocate air forces: assuming one wants to shift the focus of an attack, the presence of an air force would actually make one's efforts weaker-one would have to abandon any involved deployed air forces when using the Autobahn card (the Autobahn card would then be more useful early, before air units are deployed, than later, when they are-and yet I'm guessing the card is intended to simulate something like the shift of forces that occurred in 1944 that allowed the Battle of the Bulge to happen).

But because both arguments are reasonable, we just didn't know how to interpret the card.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Armies always specifically refers to the land unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmb
The card does not allow you to Marshal Air Forces directly.

However, when you pick up an Army that has an Air Force over it, you immediately get a free reposition to a supplied adjacent unit.

By carefully planning the way you move your Armies, sometimes you can chain multiple repositionings and get our Air Force(s) to move quite a long way actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
I understand both of your arguments. But I'll repeat: the card was written before air forces existed. Is it still intended to only move armies, or is the missing 'air force' simply an oversight that wasn't noticed when the expansion was printed?

I'd like to hear from the designer, or from someone who has contacted the designer.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Anastasia
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ian is active on these forums so he may turn up, but in the absence of new word from him, we can look at the published materials. In Alternate Histories, there are replacement cards to update some existing cards to work with the new mechanisms. No such card was made to update Autobahn or the similar cards (Trans-Siberian railroad, Theater Shift) to refer to Air Forces as well. Nothing in the FAQ either. I think Luc and Witch Lord are pretty clearly correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAQ, last updated July 2016, is quite clear:

Quote:
The Autobahn
1/ Note, the Armies must be built, so at each instance of (re)building an Army, you
must be able to trace supply. 2/Only Armies on the board at the time this card is
played may be (re)built. If, by using Bias for Action and Blitzkrieg, you should end
up building an additional Army, you may NOT (re)build this Army elsewhere.

http://www.grigglinggames.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/QG_...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Yes, that FAQ answer seems definitive.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
SDawg wrote:
I understand both of your arguments. But I'll repeat: the card was written before air forces existed. Is it still intended to only move armies, or is the missing 'air force' simply an oversight that wasn't noticed when the expansion was printed?

Quartermaster General tends to be very literal in the way the cards are written and work as a rule. Yes, Autobahn was written before Air Forces existed, but Autobahn also existed when Air Marshal was designed, and it wasn't like the designer forgot to take that into account. If the existence of Air Forces tacitly allowed Autobahn to move Air Forces, it would have done the same thing with, say, Theatre Shift (which allows you to move all your Armies and Navies; it also doesn't mention Air Forces) or Trans Siberian Railroad (moves armies). Or, really, if one is going to look at a card that says "Do X to an Army" (eliminate, move, recruit) and think "Huh. This card was written before Air Forces existed. Perhaps that mention of "army" should now be "army or air force" instead...", a *lot* of cards would suddenly do things different than they were designed to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I'm at Gen Con still but since you insist to hear from me....

Armies are Armies. The card is Autobahn. Not a lot of planes use the Autobahn.

Some people drive like they're on the autobahn, so if you've got a King Tiger, stay to the right while the armored cars pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.