Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking into options for upgrading the cardboard cargo/passenger/etc. tokens to more tactile pieces via my 3D printer. Here's what I've come up with so far (click for full size).

The "purple" filament is more of a heliotrope than I'd really hoped for, but such is life.

"CA" and "CO" etc. are just there so that a colour-blind player can tell the difference between cargo and contraband. There isn't quite room at this resolution to get the full word on.

These are my Mark 2 prototypes, run off on my own printer, so I can undercut Shapeways significantly at the cost of some loss of detail compared with what they'd produce. I could sell a set of these for:

Red: 20 each of (Contraband + Fugitive) = £1.88
Purple: 20 each of (Cargo + Passenger) = £1.89
Yellow: 30 of Fuel = £0.86
Green: 20 of Part = £0.47
Total £5.10 before postage (about €6.20, US$7, CA$9), and a posted package might just squeeze under the 100g mark though I wouldn't bet on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
why did you make 3D copies of the counters?

Why not boxes, crates and people?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first constraint is that they have to fit on the ship cards.

But this is why I'm asking for feedback. A human figure for a passenger/fugitive, on that same square base, ought to be possible - either lying on the base, which would be easiest, or even standing up. A crate would use a bit more material than the current cluster of small boxes but again could be done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Bocook
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
They're nice, and a cool idea; they just need some foofaraw. Parts could be the gears you have, but you could also do wrenches, springs, etc.. Keep them similarly sized, and you could still do the inexpensive batch of 30. Cargo and contraband could be boxes, cattle, Alliance-marked food, guns, and what have you. I like the suitcases for passengers, maybe handcuffs for fugitives?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
motosada wrote:
maybe handcuffs for fugitives?

Inara probably has a pair or two of those stashed in her shuttle, since Companions often cater to folks with varied "interests".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lemick
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
For $7 I'd buy a set, as long as the postage wasn't too outrageous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Wright
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm quite impressed!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmb
Those are VERY cool.

I think for Passengers and Fugitives, you can use that same suitcase and some OPEN handcuffs respectively.

Cargo and Contraband are a little tougher. A crate is a crate and they both start with C.

Maybe a relief (like the suitcase) of an open crate with something innocuous spilling out, like books or chickens for Cargo, and the same open crate with guns spilling out.

If all 4 images are different, it's not necessary to put words or letters.

To save material, if you make the back side (bottom) hollow where possible, that should help a little. You may have already done that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-David
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
“Happiness is nothing unless it exists side by side with sadness. Two sides. One coin” - 7th Doctor
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I really like those. Very cool sir! thumbsup

Scarbuck wrote:
If all 4 images are different, it's not necessary to put words or letters.

Totally agree.

Could we not have different colours also?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have fine control over the colours, so I chose the closest matches to the original components. I don't want to rely on colour, though, because I want to cater for colour-blind players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmb
I do know a disproportionate number of colorblind geeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-David
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
“Happiness is nothing unless it exists side by side with sadness. Two sides. One coin” - 7th Doctor
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes complete sense.

Let us know when you start selling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Maine
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Love the additional dimension. I purchased some oil drums used for model railroading to represent 'Cry Babies'. I know that goes counter to their cards as upgrades, but upgrades should hopefully be permanent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, here are the improved cargo, contraband, passenger and fugitive tokens.

(With a government like the Alliance, there are sure to be books on the contraband list.)

Gerry, I'll start working on your set shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
OK, here are the improved cargo, contraband, passenger and fugitive tokens.

(With a government like the Alliance, there are sure to be books on the contraband list.)

Gerry, I'll start working on your set shortly.

Hey are you selling a set of the new style?
What's the cost?
How many tiles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

These look really good. Any chance the purple could be blue(ish)?

And obviously, as previously asked, how much...?

Great work, after a few games the cardboard tokens start to become a bit shabby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave, see the first post of the thread for what the "purple" looks like in real life. The filament supplier I'm using doesn't offer a darker one, alas (though they do have a nice royal-ish blue).

I'm going to have to put up my prices soon but I'll stand by the rate I mentioned here until the end of the month. I can mix and match as many tokens as people want, in whatever colours, but the set that Gerry suggested was:

Red: 20 each of (Contraband + Fugitive) = £1.56
Purple: 20 each of (Cargo + Passenger) = £1.67
That set would total £4.56 before postage (about €5.30, US$6, CA$7.70). Cheapest postage would be £1.27 to the UK, €4.30 into mainland Europe, US$6.20, CA$8. (It might get cheaper than that, but it shouldn't be more expensive).

I'll run off the new tokens shortly and make sure they work in real life…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
Dave, see the first post of the thread for what the "purple" looks like in real life. The filament supplier I'm using doesn't offer a darker one, alas (though they do have a nice royal-ish blue).

Did a quick search and came up with these two results for Royal Blue:

#002366 and #4169E1, I hope it is closer to the lighter of these.

Firedrake wrote:
I'm going to have to put up my prices soon but I'll stand by the rate I mentioned here until the end of the month. I can mix and match as many tokens as people want, in whatever colours, but the set that Gerry suggested was:

Red: 20 each of (Contraband + Fugitive) = £1.56
Purple: 20 each of (Cargo + Passenger) = £1.67
That set would total £4.56 before postage (about €5.30, US$6, CA$7.70). Cheapest postage would be £1.27 to the UK, €4.30 into mainland Europe, US$6.20, CA$8. (It might get cheaper than that, but it shouldn't be more expensive).

I'll run off the new tokens shortly and make sure they work in real life…

Those figures sound fine. How do we buy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmb
Those are awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Bocook
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I like these! Very nice, and, yes, the books-as-contraband is a nice touch! Can't wait to see the test run!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UpStarter wrote:
Those figures sound fine. How do we buy?
Send me a GM with what you want, I'll quote you a price, send money by Paypal or (in the UK) direct bank transfer, I'll run them off and post them to you.

There's an example of the dark blue here:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't even wrap my head around how cheap you're offering these. A buddy of mine works for an engineering firm who quoted me a ridiculous sum of money for a single spree of 6 pieces that fits in the palm of your hand, and at a very low resolution. I'm leaning heavily toward ordering!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prototype versus production version, just to show how it changes. A crude photo done with a powerful torch at low angle to show the relief.

The fine details in the prototype tend to get lost in the slicing process, so the final version is a bit cruder. The same sort of thing is likely to happen to the detail on the crate for legal cargo when I get to it. I'm now running off the red component of the two orders I have - changing filament takes a little while, so I do a batch of a colour at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are examples of everything off the production batch (fuel/parts are out of focus but unchanged):

Gerry, Dave, I've finished printing your sets - I'll aim to get them packed up and weighed some time today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done sir. PM me with payment details.

Ta muchly.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.