1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Northeast

Subject: Holiday in the US : looking for Comic Book/Gaming Stores rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Say
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Vising the US for 2 1/2 weeks at the end of August.

Three days in Washington, Two in Baltimore, Five/Six in New York and Five/Six in Boston.

Looking for recommendations for Comic Book/Game stores to visit which have a good selection of LOTR:LCG - new to the game but looking to pick up as many Adventure Packs as I can whilst on holiday.

Will have a car as we are driving up the East Coast so I can travel in/around the cities and also out of town as required if the recommendation is for a great store. My wife/daughter will be off looking at stuff my son and I are not interested in some of the time so I will have the odd day here and there and will be able to spend the whole day looking around Gaming stores....

Many Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aldinger
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My experience is that, with the exception of the base game and maybe some of the Saga expansions, a lot of game stores don't carry the adventure packs. They make their money on the PvP games like Android Netrunner and Game of Thrones because of tournament play. You might be better off going online, buying what you want and having it mailed to wherever you're going to be ending up. Except for Amazon, most places will get it to you in about 5-7 days. And if it's over $100, shipping is usually free.

But then again, maybe I'm the exception rather than the rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools

Your Baltimore Report:

South of Baltimore is a very good game store -- Games & Stuff. Very good choices for games and gaming and they may be able to order what you're looking for in advance and hold it for you. This is more of a gamer's game store.

For comics, if you stray as far as Annapolis (south of Baltimore) I recommend Third Eye Comics, stuffed to the gills with comics and the ultimate in family friendly environment and stunning customer service in the store. They've opened a game store around the corner that may be able to order for you as well. The owner Steve is a larger-than-life individual that runs one hell of a business. I'll be hosting a Wings of Glory session there on the 22nd, love to have you along.

If you're looking for a more family friendly game store trip I'll recommend Family Game Store in Savage Mill. This one may be a good choice for you as it's just off of Interstate 95, likely on your journey if you're driving from DC north. FGS is smaller, more kid and family oriented, but about as nice a place as you're ever going to walk into. They have a loft with game space in a converted textile factory. A small boutique-y (and pricey) mall with assorted shops.

In Baltimore itself is Canton Games, which is small, relatively cramped in fact, but offers a discount off of MSRP on every sale and has some very surprising titles in stock. The store specializes in wargames, true to Baltimore's place in boardgaming's history. There's other stuff there too. Don't bring the kids, not enough room for them.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll pay full retail ( plus sales tax ) in NY, but The Compleat Strategist usually has one of the biggest selections of any game store I've seen. I could see them carrying a fair amount of the LotR packs. They also have a store in Boston, but its not nearly as well stocked .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools

Compleat Strategist is also west of Washington in Falls Church -- https://www.facebook.com/CompleatStrategist/. I haven't been to that one. The one in New York was a mess when I was there years back, and when a game fell on my head the owner told me he wasn't responsible for my injuries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey at least an employee talked to you. That's a victory in that store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're simply after buying a load, then online is defintely the best choice... Choose one of the big stores and set shipping address to hotel/wherever you are staying... Have done this loads of times myself - you can even change your eBay address if there is a good deal on there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Gentry
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Compleat Strategist in Falls Church is ok. It's a bit cramped, and the air conditioning sort of works, but they do have the best selection in DC, and the staff is friendly enough (though usually engaged in gaming). There's another store, Victory Comics, less than a mile away, with less selection but a better atmosphere. I wouldn't make a special trip to Falls Church for those stores.

If you're in downtown DC, you should stop by Labyrinth Games, very close to the Eastern Market Metro stop (Orange/Silver/Blue line). They're the nicest folks, and have a good selection of the latest games and puzzles.

Games & Stuff in Glen Burnie is definitely worth your time. The Games Keep in West Chester, PA (near Philadelphia) is well worth a small detour on the way to NYC. It's a huge store with friendly staff, and I found all sorts of great stuff there on my way to Maine a few months ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TBJ_SS wrote:
V... which have a good selection of LOTR:LCG - new to the game but looking to pick up as many Adventure Packs as I can whilst on holiday.

Not the answer you're looking for but IMHO... you're better off arraigning something with one of us locals.

For more bang for you're buck and a better selection you're better off finding someone you can trust and have a big order from CSI sent to their house and work out a pick-up time.

By all means visit the stores too, but that would be a random chance you find what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Millman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Washington DC, Labyrinth is the best Game store in the area. Thursday nights they have an open board game night. If you are planning to hit a game night, DM and I'll meet you there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Millman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh and a few miles off of I-95, in Newark, DE is a very good gamestore called "Days of Nights"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ExWallStreetGuy wrote:
Oh and a few miles off of I-95, in Newark, DE is a very good gamestore called "Days of Nights"

Yeah I stopped in there once a few years ago very impressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
Marty S wrote:
ExWallStreetGuy wrote:

I believe it's Days of Knights
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
Marty S wrote:
ExWallStreetGuy wrote:

I believe it's Days of Knights

Had to travel to DE for work last week. Stopped in to Days of Knights while I was down there. Excellent selection of games. A few Lord of the Rings:LCG packs, but mostly newer ones. But like I said great selection of games in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Say
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you all for the feedback and the offers to connect to play games and also to act as my personal post box to hold games for me!

Alas in terms of actually spending time gaming for an evening I don’t think the timing will work re travel dates and I won’t get an evening pass – I have already earmarked three evenings for NFL preseason game in DC, Baltimore and NJ as well as a Bruce Springsteen concert so I have no other evenings I can reasonably take off and remain married.

With respect to preordering items and having them delivered to a store or my hotel I may do that at the end of my trip in Boston depending on how successful I am along the route in tracking down what I need. It is a lot of fun going to different stores. That said which is the best US online store for LOTR:LCG?

Will certainly check out Labyrinth, Games and Stuff, Family Game Store, Days of Knights and The Games Keep.

I am happy to pay full price and sales tax anywhere in the US compared to what we pay in the UK where sales tax is 17.5%....
Thanks again to everyone who has answered – would be great if some folks in New York or Boston could chip in with details of stores in those cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="TBJ_SS" That said which is the best US online store for LOTR:LCG?

[/q]

Probably one of the usual suspects like CoolStuff, Miniature Market, or Cardhaus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools

You're going to a Redskins pre-season game? Seriously, find some good gaming instead. Or hit an Orioles game in the sweetest ball park in North America.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the drive to Boston from NY, just past Hartford on I84 is Time Machine, a hobby and game store. Directly across the street is Portal their game annex where all the good stuff is. It looks like a small factory or warehouse and is easy to overlook. It's a couple minutes off the highway.

Time Machine
71 Hilliard St Manchester CT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Say
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
We don't follow NFL that closely - its more for the atmosphere rather than the game itself. Have been to a few over the years - Bronco's, Pats, Chiefs, Chargers but the best atmosphere by far was in Nashville at a Vol's game.

As for Baseball - just don't get that game at all - nothing happens most of the time snore but I guess its like you watching Cricket!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Say
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks Marty and John for the heads up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cappello
United States
Pasadena
MD
flag msg tools
designer
mb
TBJ_SS wrote:
We don't follow NFL that closely - its more for the atmosphere rather than the game itself. Have been to a few over the years - Bronco's, Pats, Chiefs, Chargers but the best atmosphere by far was in Nashville at a Vol's game.

As for Baseball - just don't get that game at all - nothing happens most of the time :snore: but I guess its like you watching Cricket!

Maybe you don't get the game, but it's one of the best teams right now in hands down the best stadium in the league! Well worth it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason R
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sippi wrote:
TBJ_SS wrote:

As for Baseball - just don't get that game at all - nothing happens most of the time snore but I guess its like you watching Cricket!

Maybe you don't get the game, but it's one of the best teams right now in hands down the best stadium in the league! Well worth it

Well, I don't want to start a holy war or anything but the Orioles are okay, however the Nationals are closer and better with a newer (better) stadium.

As far as game stores like others have said the compleat Strategist has a great selection of board games and Victory, while a great selection of comics really doesn't have much for board games. Both definitely worth stopping if you are in the area, but not worth a special trip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, your best bet is to order the stuff from Coolstuffinc, Cardhaus, or MiniatureMarket before you arrive and have the boxes held for you at the hotel so they are there when you arrive (likely in NY or Boston since you're there longer). I've done this several times in Germany with OLGS there and never had an issue. The customer service groups should be able to help you without any issue. Hope you find what you're looking for.

I believe Cardhaus ships from NY, so there's little transit time

PS. I used to recommend going to Manchester NH to Myriad Games, but the last 2 times I went there the selection was horrible and now pretty much buy everything else online. Someone else recommended the Complete Strategist - it's been a few years since I've been but that had a good selection.

On an off topic - if you love chocolate and are in Boston, go to LA Burdick in Cambridge. There's also a good teahouse (tealuxe) near there in Harvard Square, and a good but inexpensive place to eat called Fire and Ice that's worth checking out.

If you're headed to the North End of Boston for an Italian experience, you need to go to Mike's Pastry, and also check out a restaurant called Nico's.

Outside of Boston - to the North shore there's a few beaches that are worth driving to - specifically Crane's Beach - and make sure you grab a Lobsta roll .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Say
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Jason - Thanks for the comment - who are the Nationals? Are they anywhere on our route?

Kevin,

I worked for State Street in London for 17 years so I have had the very good fortune to visit Boston on many occasions.

Haven't been to F&I nor Mike's Pastry but will check them out. We always make a stop at Regina's Pizza in the North End - always!

Once I am a few days out from Boston I will go online and order the stuff I haven't managed to pick up on route and have it delivered to the hotel. Part of the fun of visiting the US for me is the many and varied amount of game/comic stores available to you that we just don;t get in the UK. I like to visit as many as I can

Many Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Gentry
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Nationals are Washington's baseball team. Personally, I've never understood the appeal of baseball either, especially having to sit outside in Washington's humid 90-degree summers.

I haven't been to NYC since I got into board gaming, but I've heard the pickings are surprisingly slim; I've never been through Boston (always skirt around it on the way to Maine to avoid traffic). I've been to Time Machine in Hartford a few times, and while it was nice, it wasn't worth going out of the way for, just your average game shop. There's a lot to eat off that exit though (and a big mall for stretching your legs), so it makes a good place to stop for lunch.

Depending on how you're driving to Boston, there's a neat store in Worchester, Mass called That's Entertainment. It's a big all-around nerd store, with video games, old toys, sports cards, and a nice board game section in the back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.