Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Running
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, is Range just Line of Sight? I played the 1st scenario and feel like I didn't get attacked enough (I know, weird complaint). If the Hunters can't "See" through doors (and they shouldn't) then the layout of the mansion makes for very few long hallway type places.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
"Within range" is basically "within 3 spaces but not through doors". There is no concept of line-of-sight in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
There is no concept of line-of-sight in this game.
For me, that's amazing news.
In games that's don't feature a heavily strategic combat implementation, it's not worth keeping. The tediousness outweighs the seeming "realism" increase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j landman
msg tools
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a tile or sequence of tiles where the three spaces could take a corner but still not be interrupted by a wall?

I'm fine with how straightforward the rule is, I'm just looking forward to the pulpy goodness of banking a shot off the wall to hit the Star Spawn around the bend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rykaar wrote:
Is there a tile or sequence of tiles where the three spaces could take a corner but still not be interrupted by a wall?

I'm fine with how straightforward the rule is, I'm just looking forward to the pulpy goodness of banking a shot off the wall to hit the Star Spawn around the bend.

There are some instances where the three spaces can go around a corner, but it's rare. And in those cases you can just say that your investigator is dashing to the corner to shoot around it, or you're doing a trick shot or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I take it that the LOS "dots" from 1e are done for then? No need anymore for taking a ruler out and measuring LOS on outdoor maps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Vardaine wrote:
So I take it that the LOS "dots" from 1e are done for then? No need anymore for taking a ruler out and measuring LOS on outdoor maps?

Correct, there are no dots on the tiles anymore (outdoor or in). Haven't checked the rules but it looks like that old LOS requirement has gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was confused about range and wasn't sure if door meant open or closed. As some tiles have open and some closed. In one instance it was horrible I was fighting 2 monsters in an adjacent space from the rest of the group through an open door. However the others in the group couldn't assist me with spells or ranged weapons from their space which was kinda odd. Also with horror checks, I'm sorry but if I see a hunter through an open door shouldn't that be a horror check during the mythos phase. But it seems doorways block that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the rules seem to say that doors create a situation where even though the spaces on either side are adjacent, they aren't within "range" of each other.

This makes no sense.

I can move from one to the other but not use any range effects?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryn Ballard
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
I agree that the rules seem to say that doors create a situation where even though the spaces on either side are adjacent, they aren't within "range" of each other.

This makes no sense.

Agree this is important and needs clarification. Is it true that there's no ranged combat between adjacent spaces through doors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are "open" doors in this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
yesbryn wrote:
SirRoke wrote:

This makes no sense.

Agree this is important and needs clarification. Is it true that there's no ranged combat between adjacent spaces through doors?

Indeed. You cannot shoot through doors, period.

No line of sight rules are implemented either (I imagine to keep the game simple) so that if a corridor has a 90° angle you're allowed to shoot even if you are not in direct sight of the monster.

So, in the latter case you're better than a Ranger sniper, but then, suddently, when you face a door... you're back to your normal self

(possibly the only thing I don't like of the game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vetter
Denmark
Hilleroed
flag msg tools
Vardaine wrote:

There are doorways! Doors are picture on the tile itself and I guess they are always assumed closed. Doorways however are of course always open.
So it makes sense that you cannot shoot through a door, but you can of course shoot through a doorway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
magikerendk wrote:
Vardaine wrote:

There are doorways! Doors are picture on the tile itself and I guess they are always assumed closed. Doorways however are of course always open.
So it makes sense that you cannot shoot through a door, but you can of course shoot through a doorway.

No, you can't.

Doorways are not a concept defined in the game. And rules for range are clear:

Range cannot be counted through walls or doors unless an effect specifically allows it.

Please, very important point: we are all free to houserule the game like we want, but answering with houserules, or interpretations, without making it clear it's a houserule, or an interpretation, could generate false knowledge in those reading these forums and willing to play the game as it was designed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryn Ballard
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
magikerendk wrote:
Vardaine wrote:

No, you can't.

Range cannot be counted through walls or doors unless an effect specifically allows it.

Please, very important point: we are all free to houserule the game like we want, but answering with houserules, or interpretations, without making it clear it's a houserule, or an interpretation, could generate false knowledge in those reading these forums and willing to play the game as it was designed.

Thank you for the clarification. I will keep this in mind during my next game and decide whether I want to house rule this or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
warpi9 wrote:
I was confused about range and wasn't sure if door meant open or closed. As some tiles have open and some closed. In one instance it was horrible I was fighting 2 monsters in an adjacent space from the rest of the group through an open door. However the others in the group couldn't assist me with spells or ranged weapons from their space which was kinda odd. Also with horror checks, I'm sorry but if I see a hunter through an open door shouldn't that be a horror check during the mythos phase. But it seems doorways block that.

If the door is closed, how do you know where to aim?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:

This makes no sense.

As I've pointed out above, being "within range" normally represents you targeting something. If the door is closed, how are you meant to target?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Vardaine wrote:

No. There is either a door or there isn't. There's no concept of "open doors".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
yesbryn wrote:
SirRoke wrote:

This makes no sense.

Indeed. You cannot shoot through doors, period.

No line of sight rules are implemented either (I imagine to keep the game simple) so that if a corridor has a 90° angle you're allowed to shoot even if you are not in direct sight of the monster.

So, in the latter case you're better than a Ranger sniper, but then, suddently, when you face a door... you're back to your normal self

(possibly the only thing I don't like of the game)

And I think this is one area we disagree on.

I think the removal of LoS rules for a game that isn't combat-focused and doesn't really need them was a good design choice. The thematic issues come up so infrequently (I think it's mostly only in Escape from Innsmouth that the issue comes up on a semi-regular basis) that it would be a lot of extra rules overhead for very little benefit (and LoS rules are always one of the most annoying and fiddly in board games, and I think in 1st Ed the issue of LoS literally never came up in all the games that we ever played).

There are decent enough thematic justifications for the doors/corners issues, and it really hasn't impacted our enjoyment of the game or spoilt the immersion any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
yesbryn wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:
magikerendk wrote:
Vardaine wrote:

No, you can't.

Thank you for the clarification. I will keep this in mind during my next game and decide whether I want to house rule this or not.

Where are you seeing "doorways"? The only one I can think of is the one between the kitchen and the dining room (and off the top of my head, I can't remember what the artwork is like to know whether it's a door or not).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryn Ballard
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
yesbryn wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:
magikerendk wrote:
Vardaine wrote:

No, you can't.

Where are you seeing "doorways"? The only one I can think of is the one between the kitchen and the dining room (and off the top of my head, I can't remember what the artwork is like to know whether it's a door or not).

Yeah that's the one case I can remember from our game yesterday - there is no door just a yellow line to mark the transition between rooms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just went through the tiles and realized pretty much every entry/exit from a tile has a door in it. Last night while playing, I didn't notice the darker doors there so I thought it was a open entry/exit. Makes more sense now, but still kinda odd that they are always closed. But it is Mansions of Madness. Case solved for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Magoulis
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for this clarification. I really buggered up my first play through. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

If the door is closed, how do you know where to aim?

Ask Oscar. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.