Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking the FCC House 9 for a spin with an expansion mission. The objective is the Food Court. Specifically we need to B&C and then blow it up. The MERCs have some explosives to help out, but honestly, with the Boomer in tow, dropping a few Collateral Damage discs seems like the least of my worries.

Right out of the elevator two black Agent Discs convert to a Sec For II each. I rush the south side, moving my CDD type attackers straight past the shotgun wielding SecFor and use later activations and focused fire (and a bit too much ammunition) to dispatch the lone security guard.

The other SecFor, I pretty much ignored and kept my crew out of his potential range. However, to alleviate any concerns of additional surprises, I set up the Juicer and Engineer on Focused Reserve for good measure.

As fate would have it, a few SecFor I popped up at the stairs right in front of my Leader and Boomer. They target the House Leader and manage to inflict two blood. In an interesting twist, the SecFor, being in the stairs were actually immune to CDD discs so the Leader and Boomer combined for a hellish outpouring of dice which tore through the hapless security forces in short order. The Leader was put on Reserve for the next turn to cover the stairs and ensure there would be no more surprises.

A new SecFor I popped up at the opposite stairwell as well as a new Black Agent Disc. I spot the Security Room and send in the Juicer to rummage around. We find some Chem War ammunition which will come in handy when we hit the B&C.

The Boomer and Spy zip across the hallway, spotting a few employees in the North Hallway as they pass. The security level is still low. We paid them no mind and concentrated on setting up outside the Food Court. Maybe this will be an easy game…

The security level is still very low. I’ve seen a lot of employees so far and have managed to keep the building free of collateral damage so far.

I reload and shuffle MERCs around in front of the Food Court door as employees run for their lives eventually causing a security level increase. Agent discs are starting to get close and I’m afraid of converting any more with the security level creeping up. I kick in the door and start shooting as my MERCs team pours into a Food Court.

The Engineer fires first and rolls poorly. Not a great start. The OpFor despite a flurry of dice, under perform what they could have. The Spy twirls his blade and leaps into the fray, putting down a yellow slot and taking cover. Good. I’m going to need the extra dice.

Next few rolls are sub par. The OpFor are rolling decently. By the time the Juicer is up I am running dangerously behind. With Chem War munitions loaded, he unleashes a furious barrage but can only makes up the gap. The Boomer is there to finish off the action, but it is too little too late. When the dust settles I lost by three points and my MERCs team is laid to waste under a hail of bullets.

Well that was anticlimactic. Even with the added boost of the Chem Ammo I fell short and died in a blaze of glory. I wish B&C failure wasn’t so final. There really is no margin for error or bad luck. And bad luck can happen to anyone. Feels unsatisfying to have a game end on such a note. I may take some time to look up some house rules to soften the blow or perhaps I should just stay clear of missions with All Position B&Cs for a while.

This is the first game I’ve played with the location enhancements. I really like them. They add in diversions that can help you out. After thinking about it, I could have headed to the North side of the building to grab some additional ammunition (I think it was Flechette...) which may have boosted my chances a bit. I only needed a handful of additional bursts to get the job done.

Current Record is 2 Victories out of 7 attempts. It feels like it’s been a while since I won a game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write up, thanks. I agree that the failure in the B&C should just give you a secondary objective of fighting your way out (assuming you're still vertical).

A lot seems to depend on the building design too. It's tough to make a design that allows you to win (at least mostly) but is not too easy and not so horribly difficult that you have no chance. I don't have that sussed out quite yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice writeup Brian!

B&C's can be rough with some bad dice rolls. Often, choice of which B&C tile you use can make the difference.

I haven't played House 9 yet, did you play the Spy as written on the player board or the way it was written on the faction sheet that says the Spy gets Flashbangs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played as written on the player board, so no flashbangs. Maybe that would have helped? I'll check the sheet tonight sometime.

I went through just about all of my B&C tiles and seems like it is picking the best of the bad options. There is something bad about just about all of them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, there's usually some tradeoff when it comes to the B&C tiles. Something might be better but something will be bad too.

As for the Spy, I will only play him with the Flashbangs as listed on the faction sheet. I think there was a mistake on the player board because he has no ability. The Reload doesn't make sense, as he can only get a ranged weapon by playing the campaign game and also for people to have bought the add-on for extra equipment/weapon cards.

The 0 defense and collateral damage melee attack kind of sucks, especially with no useful 2nd slot ability. So the Flashbangs will certainly make the Spy better. Besides, it's written on the faction sheet for the Spy, though it's called Bedouin on the faction sheet, another misprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.