17 Posts

The Resistance» Forums » General

Subject: Just got Hostile Intent+Hidden Agenda, Best Modules for 5? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I read the rules and I find them pretty confusing when applied to 5 player games. Specifically variants like blind spy, deep agent, and defectors. For example can I play with defectors in a 5-player game? The spy defector doesn't know who the other spy is, so wouldn't this make it very difficult for the spies to win?

Classes like Deep Agent and Blind Spy seem pretty dumb in 5-player since the spies will just be nerfed by not having perfect knowledge of each other.

I under stand that the "Avalon Variant" with commander and assassin work okay with 5, but which other modules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea R
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Playing in 5 i would usually not use the "Avalon modules" but i did use the reverser and the defectors... or the Inquisitor..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some setups we play (and like):

Commander, Bodyguard, False Commander, and optionally Deep Cover (as assassin).

2 reversers or just 1 (good reverser).

Defectors with random switch, with or without reversers or with Com, BG & FC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So the spy defector doesn't know who the other spy is?

Doesn't this make it very difficult for the spies to win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VirtualAlex wrote:

From my experience, no.

Also Defectors+Commander+Bodyguard+Deep cover is also fun, with or without excalibur I mean sergeant.

EDIT: Ok, scratch sergeant, forgot it's not yet available outside kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sergeant module isn't in these two (it's in the upcoming Plot Thickens).

I think I've played all except Inquisitor & Hunter modules with 5. I've still not played the hunter module at all. I agree that they all work. Blind spy = blind spies variant (no spy reveal stage) with 5-6p but otherwise everything works.

Defector module with 5 players seems hard for the rebels to win in my limited experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How does Commander and defector interact? Does the commander know who the spy defector is?

What is deep cover? What about assassin? Can you play commander without assassin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VirtualAlex wrote:
How does Commander and defector interact? Does the commander know who the spy defector is?

What is deep cover? What about assassin? Can you play commander without assassin?

Commander knows the original spy defector, but if defectors switch sides once then commander knows just one spy, assuming that spy isn't deep cover (Mordred in Avalon).

Deep cover is a spy unknown to Commander. Using commander kind of requires assassin, but in some cases it could be argued that he might be omitted.

Some of these setups are quite chaotic and for pure hilarity. Next time we play I think I'll suggest commander + reversers + defectors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When do the reversers reverse the mission? How does that play out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VirtualAlex wrote:
When do the reversers reverse the mission? How does that play out?

Reversers can only play SUCCESS or REVERSE, both good and bad reverser. If there's only one REVERSE card played, then the mission result is reversed, but if there are two they cancel each other out (on 2 player mission if both are REVERSE mission is successful).

As to when to choose to play REVERSE as reverser, that depends ...

For example if the good reverser knows for certain (to some extent) that there's a spy on the mission, he might choose to play reverse, but then again there's the other side of that. If the spy suspects there's a reverser who might play it then it's mind games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh ok so... ok so in a 3-man mission if the results are Pass-Fail-Reverse this mission passes. I get it.

What do you mean the reverser can only play success and reverse even if it's a spy? The spy reverse cannot fail?

Suppose playing a fail is the same as playing a reverse into a group of all success cards... Interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VirtualAlex wrote:
Oh ok so... ok so in a 3-man mission if the results are Pass-Fail-Reverse this mission passes. I get it.

What do you mean the reverser can only play success and reverse even if it's a spy? The spy reverse cannot fail?

Suppose playing a fail is the same as playing a reverse into a group of all success cards... Interesting.

Yes, spy reverser can't play fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhsa wrote:
VirtualAlex wrote:
Can you play commander without assassin?

Using commander kind of requires assassin, but in some cases it could be argued that he might be omitted.

If there is no assassin then the commander should probably claim his role and say what he knows. Preventing that it the reason for the Assassin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
jhsa wrote:
VirtualAlex wrote:
Can you play commander without assassin?

Using commander kind of requires assassin, but in some cases it could be argued that he might be omitted.

If there is no assassin then the commander should probably claim his role and say what he knows. Preventing that it the reason for the Assassin.

True, but I was thinking about the scenario where commander only knows the original bad defector and not deep cover. But yes, we've always used assassin with commander as intended. Merged that role for a spy if there's no original assassin. Thematically deep cover or false commander as assassin is suitable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be so good to have a clearly laid out table for what works well with how many players. The options at this point with both Agenda and Intent are dizzying...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
VirtualAlex wrote:

Nah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
doctoryes0 wrote:
It would be so good to have a clearly laid out table for what works well with how many players. The options at this point with both Agenda and Intent are dizzying...
I believe every single module works best at 7. My opinion. Everything is just opinion really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.