Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Internet board game for two rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A B
msg tools
Hi all. My brother and i live in different coubtries and i'm looking for suggestions as to what would be a good and suit le gane to play over facetime/skype. We would both have a copy of the game so what titles lend themselves well to this? As a starting point games we enjoy rpg's and lcg's. Would like to steer away from magic if possible. Thanks in advance for ypur input

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I once played Firefly: The Game over the phone with my mom and sister. Nevertheless, that is probably not the first game I would recommend for long distances unless you know it really well. I don't have a lot of experience with rpg's and lcg's, but have you guys considered playing together on a website like boardgamearena.com? My sisters and I play together on there while we talk on the phone.

Still, there's nothing like having the physical game in front of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
msg tools
Wow, i didnt even know that site existed! Definitely be hving a look at that, thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smeariestbat wrote:
Wow, i didnt even know that site existed! Definitely be hving a look at that, thanks

Which means it's likely that you don't know about Yucata either -- have a look there too, you may find some games you and your brother would like to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Smeariestbat wrote:
i'm looking for suggestions as to what... to play over facetime/skype. We would both have a copy of the game

If I understand you correctly, you are not looking to use an app or electronic version of a board game to play, but would like to use an actual physical copy of the game, and use a video call to describe your moves to each other and reproduce them on the physical board in front of you? If this is the case, then I would suggest maybe avoiding games with hidden information (e.g. LCGs). Perhaps a co-op game would be suitable? You like RPGs, so maybe a co-op dungeon crawler like Mice and Mystics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
msg tools
Was ideally looking for a physical copy, although the online suggestions are very much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wilder
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with friends over Skype.

We have found that Dominion works really well, since you each have your own deck, and any shuffling you do does not affect the other players.

I have not played it online yet, but I think that Android: Netrunner would also work really well, again because you each have your own deck and don't really need any shared pieces. I don't have many expansions, so there may be cards that go into your opponents deck, but I am not aware of any that do this.

We have played Smallworld over skype, with a camera on each player, and a camera on the board, just to make sure you are all on the same page as one another.

You could also do something similar with Memoir 44, but since you are supposed to draw command cards from the same deck it might not work as well. But I have seen it where the player put a camera on the opponents hand so they could see what cards were drawn for them out of the common deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus-Gunther Herzog
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Smeariestbat wrote:
Hi all. My brother and i live in different coubtries and i'm looking for suggestions as to what would be a good and suit le gane to play over facetime/skype. We would both have a copy of the game so what titles lend themselves well to this? As a starting point games we enjoy rpg's and lcg's. Would like to steer away from magic if possible. Thanks in advance for ypur input

Well... any game with cards isn't going to lend itself well to Skype play, as you'd have to have an identically shuffled deck of cards on both ends? Or at least, have one person do all the shuffling and dealing and then have the other person find the appropriate card in their deck?

Thankfully there are some decent APPS. Though I'm not into LCG's so much, Summoner Wars gets pretty close, and has apps for Android in the iTunes (and cross-compatible for online play) with free trials and (of course) add-in card decks.

Star Realms is another that's worth a look. Google Play Store. iTunes.

As for BoardGameArena, have a look at Race for the Galaxy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.