Subject: Debut of Indians and Alexander rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Juha Helin
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick game of Basic Impetus were played, this time Indian army versus Alexander and his Macedonians. Both has opportunity to play both sides so I think it was quite equal – not to mention fun. Of course, I had not tried the alexander force composition before in any of the games, and were not very familiar with them when I opted for Macedon during the first round. Poor defense for utter failure against the Indian super heavy cavalry.

I arrayed my phalanx in the middle, supported right with hypaspists, and had the cavalry wing on the left and skirmishers on front. Opposition arranged elephants on his middle, chariots on right, archers on the left and decided to strike head on. Chariots mowed down my cavalry with nasty precision and elephants struck home with all their mass – while the archers – well they were mostly spectators.

Second game, when playing Indians went much better and I actually had even a plan. While the rather rubbish VBU 3 infantry, and even more rubbish VBU 3 cavalry performed better than the Roman equites ever had, victory was stolen from the Indians because Macedonians decided to keep Hypaspists out of harms way.

I decided to use the long bows for my advantage and give arrow screen to the elephants. Chariots had the honorary position on the left, and the rubbish cavalry in the right. Opposition had very odd formation with phalanx, skirmishers and both FL jumbled up in dense block.

What happened when the forces finally met was interesting. Archers did all they could to soften up the opposition and succeeded. VBU3 cavalry dispatched enemy lights and damaged CM before ending dead. Elephants surged against the pike block – and were pushed back (another failed to engage at all, because my line was much wider than his narrow block and I ended up creating a traffic jam unintentionally).

Then, I discovered why VBU3 bowmen are better spectators than combat units. Being fairly pricey with VD2, I was pushed over the limit and Porus conceded defeat but kept his thorne – I think. I learned again that yes, deep phalanx is an anvil that even the toughest elephant army can bang it’s head on for some time…

The whole took approximately 45 minutes from setup to the end - 6mm basing, 60x30mm, gaming area of 100cm x 150cm and deployment zone 15cm off the edges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.