Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After over three hundred plays of 6 nimmt! over about fifteen years, with anywhere from 2 to 10 players, this is what I've learnt.

This game imparts a fantastic sense of dread when the stakes are high, the columns are quite full, and I just know, I mean, I just know, I'm going to be picking up something. Choosing the poisonous card from my hand... it's rough.

On the other hand, I always enjoy laying down a card and hoping against odds that someone played something lower than me and will pick up instead. While I am filled with dread, it is because there is that hope. I don't fully resign myself to the bad outcome, I can always hope that someone is in bigger trouble than me.

There's also a great schadenfreude thrill watching others pick up. Particularly when you pick up that tiny pile that someone thought they were going to safely play on and they are forced now to pick up a huge column with plenty of juicy points in it.

Now, often when we think of emotional roller-coaster, we think of a luck fuelled game. There is certainly luck to this game. It's a card game. However, there is a strong element of hand evaluation, and how you should play out your cards, in order to get a specific end game hand. With what a good end game hand looks like varying by player count. The other influence on your decision as to which card to play is your evaluation of your fellow players.. Are the other players cowards? If yes, you might be able to sneak in a card that risks netting you big points. If they are risk takers, then you might be able to safely play on top of them once one of them takes the big column.

That being said, this is not a game for two to ten players. More like from four to eight. Too few, and picking up columns happens far too rarely. And picking up columns and the fear of, are what make the game fun. Too many and one's ability to predict the impact of the choices of the other players diminishes to the point where playing cowardly is the only way to go. It diminishes the range of viable options, and often, the results of one's decisions will feel like luck, not good play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.