Subject: Is it that hard to reply to a geek mail? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it that hard to reply to a geek mail trade request? Even if it's a simple no or no thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy D
Canada
Milton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's just how it is. Don't take it too personally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danni Durante
Canada
Etobicoke
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno... For me I try to reply most of the time. Sometimes I take a little longer as I want to think on it if it's for a trade. Most of the time if I don't respond it's because I've forgotten about it. I'm pretty sure a lot of messages go unanswered because it's forgotten about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I reply to every one, usually with an explanation of why I don't want it - usually because I avoid 1-for-1 trades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmb
That is what happens sometimes - if you are really unsure on the trade, you may not reply right away and then life happens and the 3 day time limit comes and goes.

Don't take it personal but it is frustrating for sure.

It's either that or your trade request is so off base (financially or in comparasion) the offer isn't worth even clicking no. That is a possibility - you may of offended the other member. I've never had that happen or done that to anyone but it is a possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.M. Diller
United States
North Street
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it is not that hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes people don't have time to reply right away and then forget about it. Or can't decide and then forget. Or get distracted. Or accidentally delete it.

If they didn't respond, obviously they didn't want to make the trade.

Also, if they don't have items listed "for trade" or "want in trade" themselves, and you are making a totally unsolicited request, they have no obligation to reply. They may really not enjoy online communication. Some people do not like that, and may even find it highly stressful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gstrobe188 wrote:
Is it that hard to reply to a geek mail trade request? Even if it's a simple no or no thanks.

apparently just as hard as it is to google and find this is a FAQ

http://tinyurl.com/jmljmue

sorry, couldn't resist... admins really should pin of these FAQ threads to this forum...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trading here is a numbers game plain and simple.

There are countless reasons why an offer doesn't get a reply. Spending any time at all being frustrated or guessing at why is an exercise in futility.

I've got well over 100 person to person trades logged here and the secret to success is not taking anything personally and not expecting a response from most.

Send out so many offers that you're not waiting on any one in particular.

If there's a game I really want, or one I'm particularly motivated to trade I'll send out a dozen or more feelers via pm at a time. It only takes 2-3 times the effort to send a dozen pm's as it does sending one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Paton
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, quantity is important. Three days ago I sent out 23 GMs trying to get a game, I've received 3 responses so far, and don't expect any more. I'm pretty happy with the results so far, usually the percentage is less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gstrobe188 wrote:

I think the real question is how hard is it to respond to all geekmail/email/texts/imessages/facebook posts one receives in a day? very hard.

Most people I know can't respond to everything that is sent to them and prioritize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Prioritize? It's pretty easy.

1. BGG

2. Everything else
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
Hello!
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy now... let's not forget why were here.

1) Playing Games
2) BGG
3) Everything else

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Klecko
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gstrobe188 wrote:

No, it's not hard. However, when you've been inundated with some really ridiculous trades, it gets old after awhile and now I just ignore them. Works for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PahToots wrote:

I'm not saying you're wrong (experience shows you are right) but it is extremely frustrating. Just let me know you're not interested! It's very easy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
slydog75 wrote:
PahToots wrote:

I'm not saying you're wrong (experience shows you are right) but it is extremely frustrating. Just let me know you're not interested! It's very easy!

For best shot at a response, put the game you are offering in the subject line, check spielboy.org to make sure value are equal, and try to match "tradeability" (how many people want game versus how many trading it, OOP status)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.