Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Weber
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, most of them anyway. gulp

I occasionally am able to purchase something on auction at a reasonable price. And sometimes pick up a nice OOP item.
But very often I see things like this:

Castles of Mad King Ludwig Starting Bid $30 Like New (but used)

Now if one can get this shipped free, brand new from Amazon for $35,
who in their right mind would pay a minimum of 30 + ~14 shipping for a used item from an individual seller?

The final price for the item would have to be no higher than $15 to make sense.
15 + 14 (shipping) + 6 (used condition discount/risk) < 35

As things are, I rarely am motivated to purchase from auctions anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Ghost
badge
Can't You See That You're Lost Without Me?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you feel this way, then don't bid on the items. I don't disagree, but to play devil's advocate, games on Amazon, Coolstuff, etc. are already discounted from MSRP prices, and there's no sign of board games depreciating in value anytime soon.

I only check out auctions to find rare, OOP games usually. It really does bug me, however, when the starting bid is within $5 of the BIN price. At that point, you might as well list it on the marketplace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
I buy a lot off of geek auctions, but then again I usually only buy old OOP games, so I have been very satisfied with the prices I've paid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to add to this people who have starting bids higher than equivalent items for immediate purchase on the geekmarket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben B
United States
Yakima
Washington
flag msg tools
newkillerstar27 wrote:
It really does bug me, however, when the starting bid is within $5 of the BIN price. At that point, you might as well list it on the marketplace.

I've had games sit on the marketplace for weeks to months. Then, after creating an auction, end up selling them for > the price I had them listed for on the marketplace.

For me, I set a price that I would like to get for a game. If I can't get that price for the game, then I have no problem hanging on to it. If I really want to get rid of a game, then I usually set a lower price.

If somebody purchases a game that they feel is a good value from the auction link you provided above, then they may be inclined to think, "I already bought this game, and I'm paying shipping for it. I may as well add on Castles of Mad King Ludwig for $30."

I see prices sometimes that I think are absurd. But complaining about the prices people set is likely not going to get those people to lower their prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I find prices like this I assume that the seller is prioritizing local pickup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunaWolvesMan wrote:
If I find prices like this I assume that the seller is prioritizing local pickup.

Or orders with multiple wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
benchilada wrote:

I've had games sit on the marketplace for weeks to months. Then, after creating an auction, end up selling them for > the price I had them listed for on the marketplace.

This is maddening as a bidder:

Me:
"Oh the marketplace has these for $15, but here's an auction starting for $10, I'll do $10"

Next bidder:
"BIN $20"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Folsom
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunaWolvesMan wrote:
benchilada wrote:

Me:
"Oh the marketplace has these for $15, but here's an auction starting for $10, I'll do $10"

Next bidder:
"BIN $20"

Basic gambling / impulse buy / feeling like a deal is leaving, you hurry and grab it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I always see the shipping comment and it always make me laugh. The only reason it makes sense to factor in shipping is if you never buy from an OLGS unless you get free shipping. If that's the case, you're generally spending upwards of $100. For those people, I add in a "free shipping over 100 (or 120)" depending on my mood. I get the desire (kind of) to be the first to break the seal and do the punching and all that, but for me it's make very little difference.

All that said, I generally am only buying OOP or old games from auctions so it's not an issue for me on the other end. Usually the only games with ridiculous prices are the ones that were released in the last year or two and it's rare that I'm buying one of those via an auction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Weber wrote:

I occasionally am able to purchase something on auction at a reasonable price. And sometimes pick up a nice OOP item.

who in their right mind would pay a minimum of 30 + ~14 shipping for a used item from an individual seller?

OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Weber
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I see prices sometimes that I think are absurd. But complaining about the prices people set is likely not going to get those people to lower their prices.

Agreed. Not complaining. I fully expect prices to remain high as long as bidders play along Would like to influence would-be bidders to act more reasonably though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Turnbaugh
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I thought the polite rule of geekbay was to not complain about prices and just move on if not interested. I guess creating a thread about it doesn't count?

People have many options for buying and selling games. If they don't care to research prices enough when buying or selling that is the responsibility of those individuals.

Sometimes when I sell games I'm only willing to sell them at a certain price and would rather keep them otherwise. I also list games hoping I might be able to sell them locally rather than having to ship or might be able to strike up a trade by listing in an auction.

Everyone has their own reasons for listing stuff the way they do. If they aren't making the money they want they can chose to lower prices. You also have the choice to move on and not bid.

I've also found and made some great deals on here that I wouldn't have been able to find otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there are many well priced auctions, the problem is they go fast and you don't notice. And just like anything else there are commonly other factors involved making what you think is a bad deal a good deal to some other person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many factors that motivate pricing in an auction. I agree that prices sellers ask are often high. (And my prices have proved to be high too on occasion--receiving no bids is a powerful motivator to reevaluate price. )

For me, I do what I can to be flexible in offering local pickup. Shipping is expensive for the buyer and a hassle for me; I much prefer meeting locally because 1) it's less hassle; 2) I get to meet other gamers in my area; and 3) there's something reassuring about closing a sale in person. So while I can't speak for anyone else, I price my items such that they most often make sense for local buyers only.

I'm willing to ship if someone is willing to bid, but I do get frustrated on occasion when bidders will try to reason with me that the price is too high when you factor in shipping (especially within the listing): if the price is too high, it isn't for you. Not every item targets every bidder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
LunaWolvesMan wrote:
benchilada wrote:

Me:

Next bidder:
"BIN $20"

I find the cure for this is patience. I have found almost everything on my want list goes through the auctions several times a year. It always comes back around.

And also use the aggregator:

http://bggauctions.workingasintended.com/auctions?utf8=✓&country=&username=

Best tool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Little
United States
Bonner Springs
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

I find the cure for this is patience. I have found almost everything on my want list goes through the auctions several times a year. It always comes back around.

And also use the aggregator:

http://bggauctions.workingasintended.com/auctions?utf8=✓&country=&username=

Best tool.

I have to double down on this perspective. I review auctions all the time - far too often, in fact. I've gotten great deals. Sometimes, the deal is for a game I didn't know I wanted until I did some research on it. Sometimes its for a game I've waited and waited for. Sometimes, the BIN is fantastic. Sometimes, I go with the SR, and it quickly goes past my target price, and I wait (unless I can't wait, which is sometimes, okay, a bit more than sometimes blush ). And, yeah, sometimes, I take one look at a starting price for a known game, see it is valued higher than it should be, and I don't waste time looking at any more in that thread.

It's all a matter of patience, knowing expected values, and being willing to find an occasional surprise gem.

Edit for P.S. : And sometimes, I wait a couple of days, and if there are no bids, I throw a more reasonable price out there. It never hurts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cathro
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think people might even expect someone to bid under their soft reserves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goatcabin wrote:
There are many factors that motivate pricing in an auction. I agree that prices sellers ask are often high. (And my prices have proved to be high too on occasion--receiving no bids is a powerful motivator to reevaluate price. )

For me, I do what I can to be flexible in offering local pickup. Shipping is expensive for the buyer and a hassle for me; I much prefer meeting locally because 1) it's less hassle; 2) I get to meet other gamers in my area; and 3) there's something reassuring about closing a sale in person. So while I can't speak for anyone else, I price my items such that they most often make sense for local buyers only.

I'm willing to ship if someone is willing to bid, but I do get frustrated on occasion when bidders will try to reason with me that the price is too high when you factor in shipping (especially within the listing): if the price is too high, it isn't for you. Not every item targets every bidder.

I find that people often do auctions for many different reasons.

I tend to run an auction when I am pricing games to move or I don't care about the money as much. Sure I did one recently when I bought a house, but that secured me some extra cash. It did more in saving me from moving a big stack of games.

I price aggressively, hoping to get rid of *most* of my stuff. The exception is when I am hesitant about selling the game in the first place, then I set a Soft Reserve only at what I am comfortable with.

I'm sure some people are trying to make sure they get a good return on their games, or they simply value their games more than I do. Everyone is different and the reasons for the auctions are different. If I was thinking "I guess if I sell this for $X I could use that money to buy this game instead" then I might price higher.

If you don't like the prices, don't buy. That's how these systems work. If they were hoping to sell, they might lower prices or try a different auction. It will all work itself out in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunaWolvesMan wrote:
benchilada wrote:

Me:

Next bidder:
"BIN $20"

Why in the world would that bother you? Somebody is getting a good price for a game, somebody else is getting a game for a price they were willing to pay, and if you're willing to go up to the price that you think that the game is worth, there's a copy in the marketplace for you. Sounds like everyone should be overjoyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea why this is still a thing. Don't like a person's auction don't bid. There are innumerable auctions on here ebay and other places. You have a amazing variety for both games and prices so sooner or later I am sure you will find one to your liking. It's what the market will bear. If he sets his prices at a level that no one bids then he has to lower them that's all, but if someone is willing to bid for whatever reason then you can shake your head but it is what it is so you move on. There are times when i simply wanted the game didn't want to hunt around was happy with the price and that was that I bought it. It seems much ado about nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cathro
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pharmakon wrote:
LunaWolvesMan wrote:
benchilada wrote:

Me:

Next bidder:
"BIN $20"

Why in the world would that bother you? Somebody is getting a good price for a game, somebody else is getting a game for a price they were willing to pay, and if you're willing to go up to the price that you think that the game is worth, there's a copy in the marketplace for you. Sounds like everyone should be overjoyed.

I can only guess that this bothers him because the person could have purchased the one from the marketplace for $15 leaving him the high bidder at $10 on the one in the auction. The person who outbid him could have saved $5 if they would have checked the marketplace first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
I always see the shipping comment and it always make me laugh. The only reason it makes sense to factor in shipping is if you never buy from an OLGS unless you get free shipping. If that's the case, you're generally spending upwards of $100. For those people, I add in a "free shipping over 100 (or 120)" depending on my mood. I get the desire (kind of) to be the first to break the seal and do the punching and all that, but for me it's make very little difference.

All that said, I generally am only buying OOP or old games from auctions so it's not an issue for me on the other end. Usually the only games with ridiculous prices are the ones that were released in the last year or two and it's rare that I'm buying one of those via an auction.

If you've got Amazon Prime, it's a sunk cost. I think Amazon once hand delivered me a hole punch on Sunday. The stockholders are subsidizing us.

You and I aren't looking for bargains in auctions, we're generally looking for games that we just can't find anywhere else (or at least for less than Noble Knight prices.) That's different from the people who are buying games from the last year or two, who are looking to save a buck.

That being said - I'm not seeing very many auctions for older or harder-to-find games come up anyway, and when I do, the prices they seem to bring in are so low that IMO collectors are starting to avoid BGG auctions. I wish I knew where they were going. Seen any good auctions lately that I've missed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IncHulkFan wrote:
pharmakon wrote:
LunaWolvesMan wrote:
benchilada wrote:

Me:

Next bidder:
"BIN $20"

I can only guess that this bothers him because the person could have purchased the one from the marketplace for $15 leaving him the high bidder at $10 on the one in the auction. The person who outbid him could have saved $5 if they would have checked the marketplace first.

That's what happened, but I'm not sure why it would bother him. The copy in the marketplace may have been there forever and the seller was unresponsive. The BINner may not like the seller in the marketplace. The BINner may have bought other things in the auction, and the marginal shipping cost (and reduced complication) may have discounted the game by more than $5.

My point is that if he thinks the marketplace seller is reliable, he's got the game if he's willing to pony up $5 - and everybody gets what they want. I think some people think that the happiest outcome of an auction is when something sells for the lowest price; and I guess it is, if you're always a consumer. The point of an auction to me is to reach the price where both parties are satisfied with the deal, and no third party is willing to pay more. That happened here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Jeff Weber wrote:

So?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.