$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 104.93

6,568 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.4% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Pennsylvania to Apply 6% “Netflix Tax” rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I don't use Netflix myself; haven't seen the reason to yet:

https://www.allflicks.net/pennsylvania-to-apply-6-netflix-ta...


Ferret
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
I don't use Netflix myself; haven't seen the reason to yet:

https://www.allflicks.net/pennsylvania-to-apply-6-netflix-ta...


Ferret


Though the term “Netflix tax” has become popular, laws like this don’t just affect Netflix – they also affect competitors like Hulu and HBO Now. App purchases and ebooks are also affected.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This also includes music, e-books, apps, online games, and ringtones.

Magazine and newspaper subscriptions, as well as digital versions of the Bible, will be exempt from the digital downloads tax.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
lfisher wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
I don't use Netflix myself; haven't seen the reason to yet:

https://www.allflicks.net/pennsylvania-to-apply-6-netflix-ta...


Ferret


Though the term “Netflix tax” has become popular, laws like this don’t just affect Netflix – they also affect competitors like Hulu and HBO Now. App purchases and ebooks are also affected.


Yeah, the link mentions that down in the bowels.

Very much ouch.


Ferret
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
This is exactly the kind of thing that would get me off the couch and onto the streets except for the fact that I still need to watch all of Season 2 of Daredevil and my wife has got into Stranger Things...
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
myopia wrote:
This is exactly the kind of thing that would get me off the couch and onto the streets except for the fact that I still need to watch all of Season 2 of Daredevil and my wife has got into Stranger Things...
Stranger Things is really good. One of the three shows that are must see for me. The Walking Dead and Ash Vs Evil Dead being the others.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I guess Netflix should have split into a streaming and mailing company after all. Those distribution centers are kind of a liability now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand the state adding any value to the Netflix stream. Is this just to make up budget losses or some part of Muh social contract that I am not aware of.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
mbmbmb
In Pennsylvania, many services are already subject to sales tax, including premium cable. I always found this odd, but streaming video isn't fundamentally different from HBO. It's just newer.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SPIGuy wrote:
In Pennsylvania, many services are already subject to sales tax, including premium cable. I always found this odd, but streaming video isn't fundamentally different from HBO. It's just newer.



don't they already charge a tax on your internet provider ? If we believe in net neutrality then a bit is bit regardless of how or where it is going on the network.

It just seem odd and ripe to snowball into other areas. Perhaps Pokemon go taxes, minecraft taxes. It's never going to end if they can selectively classify a bit as taxable.

I wonder if cable taxes are down as more people are cutting the cord, that's the only thing I can think of.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
mbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
I wonder if cable taxes are down as more people are cutting the cord, that's the only thing I can think of.

This, plus lobbying by cable providers about the "unfair advantage" enjoyed by streaming services.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
I don't understand the state adding any value to the Netflix stream.


I don't think you understand taxes.
8 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
jeremycobert wrote:
I don't understand the state adding any value to the Netflix stream. Is this just to make up budget losses or some part of Muh social contract that I am not aware of.
PA went through a bruising budget battle that only recently ended. And what happened was basically:

PA spends a metric fuckload of $$$ on our bloated & stale education system, because Liberals.
PA refuses to tax fracking companies, because Conservatives.
And since both of those groups are lawyered & lobbied to the hilt, then the state of PA's spiny penis looks around for a nice juicy asshole to violate and chooses the defenseless middle-class. Thus... a "netflix tax."

Have I mentioned the state of PA has the second-largest state legislature in the nation? Because you need 253 fuckwits to really screw up a state government.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
I guess Netflix should have split into a streaming and mailing company after all. Those distribution centers are kind of a liability now.


No real connection there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
SPIGuy wrote:
In Pennsylvania, many services are already subject to sales tax, including premium cable. I always found this odd, but streaming video isn't fundamentally different from HBO. It's just newer.



don't they already charge a tax on your internet provider ? If we believe in net neutrality then a bit is bit regardless of how or where it is going on the network.

It just seem odd and ripe to snowball into other areas. Perhaps Pokemon go taxes, minecraft taxes. It's never going to end if they can selectively classify a bit as taxable.

I wonder if cable taxes are down as more people are cutting the cord, that's the only thing I can think of.


It would basically already apply to those things.

Don't worry, comcast already gets tons of tax breaks to keep constructing in Philly.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
I guess Netflix should have split into a streaming and mailing company after all. Those distribution centers are kind of a liability now.


No real connection there.

Without a physical nexus, like a distribution center, Pennsylvania couldn't compel Netflix to collect taxes for them. I'm sure they technically require owned but uncollected taxes like that to be reported by people on their own taxes but barely anyone does that.

If Netflix has to collect taxes while, say Hulu, does not that's a competitive advantage for Hulu.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
lfisher wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
I guess Netflix should have split into a streaming and mailing company after all. Those distribution centers are kind of a liability now.


No real connection there.

Without a physical nexus, like a distribution center, Pennsylvania couldn't compel Netflix to collect taxes for them. I'm sure they technically require owned but uncollected taxes like that to be reported by people on their own taxes but barely anyone does that.

If Netflix has to collect taxes while, say Hulu, does not that's a competitive advantage for Hulu.


Hulu also does, did you read it?

I think I see your point now though, I wasn't sure physical nexus still applied.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Preisach
United States
East McKeesport
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm of two minds on this. But, the simple answer is that the 6% is very little compared to the savings I'm getting from not have cable.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
lfisher wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
I guess Netflix should have split into a streaming and mailing company after all. Those distribution centers are kind of a liability now.


No real connection there.

Without a physical nexus, like a distribution center, Pennsylvania couldn't compel Netflix to collect taxes for them. I'm sure they technically require owned but uncollected taxes like that to be reported by people on their own taxes but barely anyone does that.

If Netflix has to collect taxes while, say Hulu, does not that's a competitive advantage for Hulu.


Hulu also does, did you read it?

I think I see your point now though, I wasn't sure physical nexus still applied.

I don't know that Hulu does, but I was just using it as an example. The article lists it as an example of something the tax applies to, not that Hulu will be forced to collect it. I have no idea what sort of physical presence they have anywhere. Physical nexus definitely still applies though. The actual PA Dept of Revenue site states that businesses with operations in PA are responsible for collecting it, otherwise PA residents must report it on their taxes.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
I don't understand the state adding any value to the Netflix stream. Is this just to make up budget losses or some part of Muh social contract that I am not aware of.
PA went through a bruising budget battle that only recently ended. And what happened was basically:

PA spends a metric fuckload of $$$ on our bloated & stale education system, because Liberals.
PA refuses to tax fracking companies, because Conservatives.
And since both of those groups are lawyered & lobbied to the hilt, then the state of PA's spiny penis looks around for a nice juicy asshole to violate and chooses the defenseless middle-class. Thus... a "netflix tax."

Have I mentioned the state of PA has the second-largest state legislature in the nation? Because you need 253 fuckwits to really screw up a state government.


http://taxfoundation.org/article/state-local-tax-burden-rank...

Quote:
State State-Local Tax
Burden as a Percent of State Income Rank

Alaska 6.5% 50
South Dakota 7.1% 49
Wyoming 7.1% 48
Tennessee 7.3% 47
Texas 7.6% 46
Louisiana 7.6% 45
New Hampshire 7.9% 44
Nevada 8.1% 43
South Carolina 8.4% 42
Mississippi 8.6% 41
Oklahoma 8.6% 40
Alabama 8.7% 39
Montana 8.7% 38
New Mexico 8.7% 37
Arizona 8.8% 36
Colorado 8.9% 35
Florida 8.9% 34

North Dakota 9.0% 33
Georgia 9.1% 32
Iowa 9.2% 31
Nebraska 9.2% 30
Missouri 9.3% 29
Washington 9.3% 28
Virginia 9.3% 27
Idaho 9.3% 26
Michigan 9.4% 25
Kentucky 9.5% 24
Kansas 9.5% 23
Indiana 9.5% 22
Utah 9.6% 21
North Carolina 9.8% 20
Ohio 9.8% 19
West Virginia 9.8% 18
Arkansas 10.1% 17
Delaware 10.2% 16
Pennsylvania 10.2% 15
Hawaii 10.2% 14
Maine 10.2% 13
Massachusetts 10.3% 12
Vermont 10.3% 11
Oregon 10.3% 10
Rhode Island 10.8% 09
Minnesota 10.8% 08
Maryland 10.9% 07
California 11.0% 06
Illinois 11.0% 05
Wisconsin 11.0% 04
New Jersey 12.2% 03
Connecticut 12.6% 02
New York 12.7% 01

DC 10.6% (10)
U.S. Average 9.9%

However- also note that almost high tax states are highly desirable places to live. Which means higher cost of living, higher salaries, higher cost to provide the same services.

Some of the "low tax" states have very few residents, so small governments, and a small physical plant to maintain.

And really... only 6 states can really claim to be "low tax" states. And everyone has the option of moving to them to save on taxes.

Three states are "high tax" states. The rest are in the 8%-11% range. pennsylvania isn't one of them.

Finally, were we to dig into Pennsylvania's budget I bet we would find at least 5% waste for conservative pet projects. That right there would fund a .4% tax cut.

As for why netflix-- they go where the money is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PA has a 6% sales tax. All this is doing is including additional services within the scope of the tax. Would I prefer it were less, sure? But I have no objection to including Netflix and other similar services within the scope of the exsting sales tax.

And if all of the increase were to go to education, I would happily support an increase to 7%. First place to spend it - increasing funding to districts with poor tax bases, so the quality of a child's education is less dependent on where they live.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:
PA has a 6% sales tax. All this is doing is including additional services within the scope of the tax. Would I prefer it were less, sure? But I have no objection to including Netflix and other similar services within the scope of the exsting sales tax.

The problem with this, especially in online businesses where location of the business is rarely a deciding factor, is that it penalizes local PA businesses. Their products now cost 6% more than a business with no association with PA.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
actuaryesquire wrote:
PA has a 6% sales tax. All this is doing is including additional services within the scope of the tax. Would I prefer it were less, sure? But I have no objection to including Netflix and other similar services within the scope of the exsting sales tax.
Ugh... you're killin' me! cry

If you roll over for a tax increase today, you'll roll over for a tax increase tomorrow.
And if you roll over for a tax increase tomorrow, you'll roll over for a tax increase next week until it never stops.

Meanwhile PA still has some of the most expensive public universities in the nation (and I won't even begin to touch the property tax burdens in this ass-backwards state,) but we aren't allowed to dissect the higher education budget because education is a sacred cow in PA, thankyouverymuchDemocrats.

And meanwhile PA allows unlimited fracking (unlike New York) with no consistent taxes on drillers (who are pocketing millions and polluting our air & groundwater to boot,) but we aren't allowed to investigate something better than the outdated "extraction fees" because gas companies are a sacred cow in PA, thankyouverymuchRepublicans.

So they come to the taxpayer, and we're dumb enough to roll over and say, "Sure, I'll pay more! I'll have your spam, dear. I love it.!"

Well, some of us don't like spam, and we're tired of eating it.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you are outraged by the idea of treating providers of e-content the same as providers of hard copy, but you are unhappy that frackers aren't taxed equivalenty to other businesses. Sounds like you are having some cognitive dissonance there.
3 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
actuaryesquire wrote:
PA has a 6% sales tax. All this is doing is including additional services within the scope of the tax. Would I prefer it were less, sure? But I have no objection to including Netflix and other similar services within the scope of the exsting sales tax.

And if all of the increase were to go to education, I would happily support an increase to 7%. First place to spend it - increasing funding to districts with poor tax bases, so the quality of a child's education is less dependent on where they live.


Our income tax is low though.

Property tax...why don't they just disembowel me and get it over with?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.