Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leron T
United States
Beaverton
OR
flag msg tools
mbmb
Greetings all, I'm interested in Mysterium, but I'm weary of buying such an odd game that my group may not like (I've told them about it and they're reluctant and some still don't understand it). They don't like watching videos of other people playing. They want to experience games themselves to form an opinion...

So that leads me to an idea. Poor Man's Mysterium. I have Dixit, I have an old copy of Clue. Why not combine them into a makeshift Mysterium? You have dream cards, locations, suspects, weapons. I figure, as long as you house-rule it that the suspect's color is off limits (i.e. you can't play a primarily yellow card to implicate Col. Mustard, etc.). I figured I could also use the character's bios from "Clue Mysteries" to give a bit to go off of.

What do you all think? Would this work as a proof-of-concept to see if they like the game? Is there something else I should be aware of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Lynden
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth a shot to test out! Know, however, that the Mysterium cards, in particular the suspect cards, have a lot going on in them. What I mean is that the portrait of each character is surrounded by a number of paraphernalia, giving the ghost more to go off of when making card selections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One possible issue is that the art in Dixit might have nothing to do with the clues you have available. Mysterium's art was designed with the clues in mind.

On a tangent Deception: Murder in Hong Kong kind of replaced Mysterium with my groups. It's got a similar feel but is shorter, less fiddly and includes an interesting traitor mechanic. You might want to look into Deception if you're having trouble convincing people to play Mysterium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
You're rather close to Portland, any local gamestores that you can swing over to with a Library copy to try with your friends?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leron T
United States
Beaverton
OR
flag msg tools
mbmb
DanielRobison wrote:
It's worth a shot to test out! Know, however, that the Mysterium cards, in particular the suspect cards, have a lot going on in them. What I mean is that the portrait of each character is surrounded by a number of paraphernalia, giving the ghost more to go off of when making card selections.

That's why I figured I'd add the biographies from Clue Mysteries. You have a lot to work with when you know Ms. Peacock is a three time widow with a wealthy estate, Professor Plum often travels to Egypt, and Mr. Green is a former reverend of the church. might help clues along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leron T
United States
Beaverton
OR
flag msg tools
mbmb
LunaWolvesMan wrote:
You're rather close to Portland, any local gamestores that you can swing over to with a Library copy to try with your friends?

I'd considered a store's play copy, but they won't let me borrow it (from what I know), and scheduling is tricky enough as is with people needing to find sitters and things, it's easier to just have it at one of our houses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leron T
United States
Beaverton
OR
flag msg tools
mbmb
dugman wrote:
One possible issue is that the art in Dixit might have nothing to do with the clues you have available. Mysterium's art was designed with the clues in mind.

On a tangent Deception: Murder in Hong Kong kind of replaced Mysterium with my groups. It's got a similar feel but is shorter, less fiddly and includes an interesting traitor mechanic. You might want to look into Deception if you're having trouble convincing people to play Mysterium.

Have Deception, but the group is all traitor-mechanism-ed out. Might bring that one back out later, but I was hoping this was similar flavor with more trusting each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you guys have a game meetup where you could connect with someone and borrow a copy?

I'm just afraid the sort of "ad-hoc" style won't appeal as much and therefore it could fall flat.

The game artwork is quite outstanding and really fits the theme.

If it were me, I would buy it, knowing I can sell it on BGG later to recoup a lot of the expense.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Lesperance
United States
Northville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that Dixit is the obvious comparison, but if you think about it, Mysterium is a lot like Codenames. A clue giver gives a word to make a team associate it with a related word on the table. A clue giver gives a picture to make a team associate it with a related picture on the table.

The games are mostly different in the clue giver role, which presumably would be you. For the rest, its a fairly parallel thought process.

Just putting it out there because Codenames is fairly ubiquitous. So, "Codenames matching pictures instead of words" might deliver a better picture...than using a lot words...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leron wrote:
dugman wrote:

Have Deception, but the group is all traitor-mechanism-ed out. Might bring that one back out later, but I was hoping this was similar flavor with more trusting each other.

Well if they like Deception but want a full cooperative version then Mysterium is a good bet. Slight fiddliness aside it has a very similar overall feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.