Subject: Any Advice for Aspiring Autocrats? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Voodoo Chile
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love this game and have played it at least 50 times now. After all this time, the autocracy government remains a mystery to me. I haven't had much luck playing it, and struggle to come up with ideas on how to improve. Even if I want to be a warmonger, I find that Democracy is a better government to get lots of resources and an extra action per turn.

I have some questions for people who know how to make use of this government type.

1) What does your economy look like? The best luck I had was with Taxation, as I had a lot of angry cities I had taken from barbarians and other players.

2) What advances do you take before committing to tactics and then autocracy? Or do you do it right away and start hunting for barbarians?

3) Where do you get your happiness tokens from? I need them for forced labor, the draft, absolute power, and possibly taxation. Nationalism + and collecting from a port are all I can think of.

4) How important are steel weapons? They are great, but they also feel like they slow me down a lot as they cost 1 action and 4 resources.

5) How important are roads (or ships, depending on the map)? I feel like I'm strapped for resources anyways, but being able to move faster would be nice.

That's probably all my specific questions. If anyone has any general advice, favourite advances, etc, I'd love to hear it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some Education advances that work well with Autocracy, surprisingly. Free Education (with Public Education or Taxation) should get you your Mood tokens for Absolute Power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
4) Very important if your opponent has it or you plan to attack them.

5) Roads are really nice. If you want to move a group of units 2 spaces you either need to spend 2 actions or 1 action + 1 food. In a normal collect action you should get 3-4 resources most of the game. So if using roads you are only spending 1,33 or 1,25 actions on moving the group two spaces.

Of course it becomes less of an advantage if you want to move more groups 2 spaces, since you need to pay 1 food for each one.

In addition roads let you ignore terrain penalties when paying 1 ore. This can be really good as a tactical thing to get at your opponents cities faster. Or just the threat of getting there faster forces them to spend resources building units in cities they could otherwise have left unguarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Malczak
United States
Centreville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I posted something similar a year or so again….Democracy seems set up to pretty much be the most versatile of the governments (except in very limited circumstances). It’s simply 33% more actions (since you will normally collect almost every turn) and that extra action can be used for war just as easily as it can for any ‘peaceful’ purpose.

That said, it’s not terribly difficult to keep getting the extra action with Autocracy, particularly if you have been accumulating Mood tokens for a while. You have to go through a few hoops, but at least it allows you to get a full 4 move/attack actions if it suits your strategy (although again, I think that would be very edge-case as well).

If you want to go with Autocracy, my advice would be that the earlier you get started ‘conquering’ the better off you’ll be. If you wait too long, Democracies will be built up enough that you likely won’t be able to overcome their economic power. The biggest limitation for Democracy is that they need two good-sized/happy cities to really get rolling. The first collects and the 2nd builds troops etc. Once they get that up and running, they are much more difficult to attack.

For techs, I agree that Roads are necessary, Siegecraft can be very useful, and yep…Steel Weapons. Once you are ‘at war’, the best thing is to be able to keep up the pacing. That means not stopping to rebuild troops and move them slowly to the front. So it behooves you to win battles as decisively as possible. When attacking a Democracy, if you get the ‘2nd’ city that does most of the building, it’ll put a big dent in their efficiency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
If you have the expansion, autocracy could work very well with some civilizations. For example, the indians have the ability to obtain mood tokens (and even culture tokens) from their trade route. So, it will be relatively easy to have 2 mood tokens at the begining of each turn, which will allow you to have your extra turn (considering also that they could establish trade routes with elephants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom VanderHorst
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
3) I typically start with a Theocracy and then transfer over. With a number of temples built, that's usually enough of a supply of mood tokens.

4) As someone who plays with aggressive players often, I can't imagine not taking Steel Weapons. I've seen it bite players too much to not be convinced of its worth. If you're still unconvinced by its worth, I'd take the Science route first. You'll take more actions but each time you earn half a point and a Culture token. This sets you up for a possible wonder later on and then makes Steel Weapons free.

5)Again, I can't value roads enough if I'm in any conflict at all. Also, taking the Science route means that I can get Engineering and Roads for free. I often take Mathematics very early so that if I'm not in an optimal spot for my last action (ie. my largest city has already made an action) then using this action to get a free advance is fantastic. It also gets you one step closer to Sanitation, which is worth it early on!

Personally, though I have probably had my highest scores from Democracy, I find myself coming back to Autocracy more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Voodoo Chile
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tombowombo wrote:
3) Personally, though I have probably had my highest scores from Democracy, I find myself coming back to Autocracy more often.

Great, an experienced autocrat! Exactly who I was hoping to talk to. You gave several useful pieces of advice, but I can't help but notice that they are all over the tech tree. Theocracy, science, and construction on top of tactics and autocracy. By this count, it must be very late in the game by the time you have all the pieces you need, and I would guess at this point a Democracy player has at least a couple size 4+ cities.

How would a typical successful game unfold for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.