Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I have a simple push-your-luck mechanic in a project I'm working on (part of a much larger game), and I would appreciate some feedback on a choice I'm making.

The mechanic is simple: Reveal cards one at a time from a deck until you either decide to stop or draw too many penalty cards and bust.

Option 1:
- Cards contain either a blank or a penalty.
- If you draw X penalty cards you bust and your score = 0.
- When you choose to stop drawing, count the number of cards you drew and that's your "score".

Option 2:
- Cards contain either a blank, a penalty, or a star.
- When you choose to stop drawing, count the number of Stars you drew and that's your "score".

Option 2 might feel more "exciting" as you wait on each reveal to see if you get a star or a bust. The flip side is that with option 2, it's possible to get a score of 0 even when drawing many cards, which could feel frustrating.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wagner
United States
Cleveland Hts.,
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Are you familiar with the game No Thanks! ?

It does the same thing but in reverse -- pay chips to refuse taking a card, and work to get the _lowest_ number of points to win the round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Not intimately, but I've seen it. Good one to study for this though. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming the ratio of scoring cards to penalty cards is the same, aren't both options equivalent except that the latter has more wasted effort?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Could be, and I suspect some players will care only about the probability.

What I'm wondering is if one option might feel more fun to some. A slot machine could just be a die roll, but watching the pictures line up is more fun for some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
It's Diamant, which is a good thing. A great game, more like your option 2.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Interesting, I've never seen that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
wowbagger44 wrote:
I have a simple push-your-luck mechanic in a project I'm working on (part of a much larger game), and I would appreciate some feedback on a choice I'm making.

The mechanic is simple: Reveal cards one at a time from a deck until you either decide to stop or draw too many penalty cards and bust.

Option 1:
- Cards contain either a blank or a penalty.
- When you choose to stop drawing, count the number of cards you drew and that's your "score".

Option 2:
- Cards contain either a blank, a penalty, or a star.
- When you choose to stop drawing, count the number of Stars you drew and that's your "score".

Option 2 might feel more "exciting" as you wait on each reveal to see if you get a star or a bust. The flip side is that with option 2, it's possible to get a score of 0 even when drawing many cards, which could feel frustrating.

Thoughts?

it has a good potential. Reminds me of some type of fusion between blackjack and Exploding Kittens. I feel like you have a strong core design mechanic but I also feel like you could spruce it up a bit by introducing another level of complexity into it at this point. In regards to option 1 or 2 they both feel legit why not have a game that can be played in several modes? So you can essentially keep both options and offer them to the players in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think it could stand to have another (small) layer of strategy on top. This is intended to be a very small part of a bigger game (this is sort of the "combat" mechanic) so I want to keep it fast.

Thanks for the feedback

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Callahan
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Flip City And Mystic Vale have a similar mechanic, although what you receive if you stop is not your score but the amount of money (or mana in respect to Mystic Vale) to spend on bettering your deck in order to get to final victory conditions. So it's a tried and tested mechanic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.