Hide
8 Posts

Liar's Dice» Forums » Rules

Subject: Game boards and aces rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daronicus Rex
msg tools
I've been checking out all the cool game board designs that the BGG members posted here. However, in just about every board I've seen, the ace squares seem to be one space too early.

In both Perudo and Liar's Dice, as far as I have ever learned, the rank of the die is 2-3-4-5-6-Ace, even when the Ace is not wild (like in a palafico round).

With the Aces wild doubling/halving rule, this means that 8x6 can be raised to 4xAce (in fact, this particular example is explicitly stated in the published rules). Because Ace is the highest rank, the only way to go from there is to increase the count, either to 5xAce or to 9x2 or higher.

In a palafico round, where Ace is not wild, a valid raise is 8x6 to 8xAce, and 8xAce cannot be raised to 8x2 (only 9x2 or higher).

So in terms of game board squares, the order should be

1 x number
2 x number
1 x Ace (wild)
3 x number
4 x number
2 x Ace (wild)
5 x number

Because the doubling/halving rule is so thoroughly described and documented, I am surprised to see all the game boards designed as though Ace is the lowest rank -- at least the ones that I checked out.

Any thoughts on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daronicus Rex
msg tools
Wait, I just found one board that matches my understanding: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/85587/perudo-bidding-track

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your argument makes no sense. Once aces are wild they are neither high not low but something apart. Then whether you put aces above or below the nominally equivalent position is a design choice, there's nothing right or wrong about it, just what plays better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daronicus Rex
msg tools
Semantics. Perudo ranks aces as high even when not wild. Perudo also states explicitly that when aces are wild and a player bids aces under the wild doubling/halving rule, one ace is higher than two sixes: their rules, not mine.

In this case, when *bidding* wild aces, we are talking about the aces not for their nominal wild value but as a biddable entity that outranks sixes. To observe this official Perudo rule on the game boards mentioned, one would have to move the marker backward, which seems counterintuitive.

If you don't care about the Perudo rules and want to play another way, that's perfectly fine. I was just curious as to why most of the posted boards run contrary to the published Perudo rules.

Maybe there's a common variant of Liar's Dice (not Perudo) in which aces are low (but bidding wilds are still halved/doubled). That would explain why most of the member-contributed game boards I've seen are laid out the way they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Holidays! ABCDEFGHIJK MNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb

Bluff is the version of Liar's Dice that won SdJ, so I suppose that makes it influential. As you can see above, its dice are 1 2 3 4 5 , and it puts n/2 before n. I think the logic is that you're not going to bid unless you have some, so you're probably depending less on other players' dice.

So, I think most people copy the Bluff board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daronicus Rex
msg tools
Thanks, Walt. That's helpful. I've never played Bluff as such but always Perudo or a Perudo-Liar's Dice hybrid. Your comment explains a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daronicus wrote:
Semantics.

Really not what that word means.

Quote:
Perudo ranks aces as high even when not wild. Perudo also states explicitly that when aces are wild and a player bids aces under the wild doubling/halving rule, one ace is higher than two sixes: their rules, not mine.

In this case, when *bidding* wild aces, we are talking about the aces not for their nominal wild value but as a biddable entity that outranks sixes. To observe this official Perudo rule on the game boards mentioned, one would have to move the marker backward, which seems counterintuitive.

So you're actually complaining about a board designed for one approach being used for the other. Of course. All the stuff about aces high is just irrelevant noise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
Daronicus wrote:
Semantics.

Really not what that word means.

Semantics!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.