Hide
10 Posts

Islebound» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ichor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Dunham
msg tools
We need a rule clarification for Ichor. When you lose Ichor in a battle, the controlling player is supposed to get him back when they gain at least one other serpent. So, if I trade 2 fish for 1 serpent after losing Ichor, would I get Ichor back as the purchased serpent or would I get a serpent and Ichor back together?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jennifergailf wrote:
We need a rule clarification for Ichor. When you lose Ichor in a battle, the controlling player is supposed to get him back when they gain at least one other serpent. So, if I trade 2 fish for 1 serpent after losing Ichor, would I get Ichor back as the purchased serpent or would I get a serpent and Ichor back together?

I read the rule to mean, you get the serpent you just obtained plus Ichor. The key for me in the rules is the wording of "other serpent". So in addition to that serpent, you get Ichor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
msg tools
mbmbmb
The card reads: "Gain Ichor again when you gain at least one Sea Serpent." It doesn't actually say "other serpent" on it.

However, I do believe that it is separate, like a trigger. When you gain a sea serpent, Underriver Gate "triggers" and you also gain Ichor.

That also seems like the appropriate power level for a card that cost you 12 coins or a hefty amount of resources to build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Mancino
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Some hours ago I received my copy of Islebound, it's amazing! Now I'm playing the first time. I have a question about Ichor: if I must retreat from a battle, can I lose only Ichor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
msg tools
mbmbmb
R0BS wrote:
Some hours ago I received my copy of Islebound, it's amazing! Now I'm playing the first time. I have a question about Ichor: if I must retreat from a battle, can I lose only Ichor?

Sure. You get to pick a pirate or sea serpent to lose when you retreat, and I don't see any reason to not count Ichor as a sea serpent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Mancino
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
The doubt was due to two rules:

The event card "Underriver Gate" says "Discard Ichor when used", so I have to discard Ichor because it is the effect of that card.

If I retreat from a battle, the rule says that I have to discard a pirate or a sea serpent.

If I join both effects, than it makes sense to discard only Ichor.
Furthermore, it makes sense if I decide to use only Ichor in a specific attack (for example the event card in Borsham), and at the end of the attack I discard it in any case.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
msg tools
mbmbmb
R0BS wrote:

The event card "Underriver Gate" says "Discard Ichor when used", so I have to discard Ichor because it is the effect of that card.

If I retreat from a battle, the rule says that I have to discard a pirate or a sea serpent.

Furthermore, it makes sense if I decide to use only Ichor in a specific attack (for example the event card in Borsham), and at the end of the attack I discard it in any case.

Thank you.

Ah, I understand now. I did not remember that Ichor had that written on the card. I suppose what it comes down to is whether or not Ichor counts specifically as a sea serpent or if only the "normal" sea serpents do. If he does, then you can discard him to fulfill the "discard a pirate or sea serpent, for fleeing" condition, and then you don't have Ichor to discard for the second effect.

On the other hand, if the rules do specifically not include Ichor in the "discard 1" scenario, then you would have to discard two cards...

We'll have to get clarification from Ryan Laukat for this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
R0BS wrote:

Thank you.

You can discard Ichor when retreating as the retreat cost if you choose. However, you could discard another pirate or sea serpent and keep Ichor in a retreat.

If Ichor is used in a successful battle, he must be discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
msg tools
mbmbmb
mechanicalfish wrote:
You can discard Ichor when retreating as the retreat cost if you choose. However, you could discard another pirate or sea serpent and keep Ichor in a retreat.

If Ichor is used in a successful battle, he must be discarded.

Thanks, Ryan! You're the best!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Mancino
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Thanks Ryan for the clarification

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.