Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
On a recent trip to visit my in-laws, my wife and I were talking about various things. In the back, we have a DVD system set up so the kids can watch videos during the long drive (it's about 9 hours each way, give or take).

As they put a movie in, it dawned on me that although I've listened to that movie several times, I had never actually SEEN it. The movie was Planes: Fire & Rescue (from Pixar). I realized that although I've heard the voices, I didn't even know what any of the vehicles in the movie even looked like. So at a rest stop, before shutting it off, I decided to take a peak, and the main character plane didn't look at all like I envisioned it (other than it being a plane).

Anyway, that got my wife and I talking about other movies that we've heard many times, but have never actually seen with our own eyes.

Here's a few for me:

- Planes: Fire & Rescue
- Pokemon Heroes: Latios & Latias
- Matilda

I'll admit, while they wouldn't exactly be my first choice of movies normally, I kinda want to see them so that the next time my kids watch them during a trip, I can at least picture in my head kind of what's going on!

What movies have YOU "heard" but have never actually seen? (Mostly looking for movies you've heard all the way through, not just snippets here or there, but it doesn't necessarily have to be from car trips).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a while my dad was obsessed with this football movie called Second String. It never interested me at all so I just did things elsewhere in the house, but I could usually hear the movie when he watched it. I don't think I've ever seen a single scene from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nothing to add here except that this post makes me very grateful that we bought headphones for each of the kids when we got a DVD player for the car. That is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Snardo wrote:
Nothing to add here except that this post makes me very grateful that we bought headphones for each of the kids when we got a DVD player for the car. That is all.

We've considered that, but I actually don't mind listening to them most of the time (although in the Pokemon one, the Latios and Latias have this high-pitched wailing/crying noise that gets pretty annoying) - gives me something to listen to. Although there are times I'd rather listen to an audiobook while they are watching.

Plus, I guess I'd have to figure out how to make 5 sets of headphones work with only 1 or 2 output ports (it has 2 screens, but I don't remember if it has an output port on each).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Murder She Wrote
Miss Marple
White Chicks
Sex and the City

My wifes fave's.

Even though I've never watched any of them, I know far too many scenes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually work on my computer and listen to netflix or prime. There are entire series' of shows I have listened to and not watched. It's really disconcerting to walk into a room where a show is in progress and sit down to think, "I've seen this, I know I have, but it doesn't look familiar at all!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Greer
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
First one that comes to mind for me is the Breakfast Club. I've seen a few scenes, but definitely have heard every scene (though not necessarily in the right order). My step-sister loved this film to death; every time they came over to visit they'd want to watch it, and I couldn't have cared less. (I think I was 13 years old.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Spongebob movie. The older one, not the new one. Also, Shark Tale with Will Smith and Jack Black.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the LOTR trilogy. I've seen a few scenes total from all 3 put together.

TV Shows:

Criminal Minds
The X Files
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries (ok, I've seen 1 or 2 full episodes, but hardly any of the others)
Once Upon a Time
Stranger Things
Turn

And all the many, other shows my husband (and sometimes my daughter) like to watch on Netflix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
This demonstration is not authorized and is in clear violation of Mall of America policy.
badge
Those who continue to demonstrate will be subject to arrest.
mbmb
For the longest time, I was in this position with My Neighbor Totoro. I still don't think I've seen everything, but I've now seen enough that I have a sense of what the characters looked like.

The cat bus was a bit of a surprise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"My wife is driving me crazy with nagging! I came back from the store with everything on the list she gave me and now she's all on my case because I forgot ONE little kid."
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
This probably doesn't count, because I eventually saw the movie several times, and even have a DVD of it now, but for several years I only heard the soundtrack of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail." Let me explain*:

A friend of mine had purchased the vinyl album before it sold out back when the movie first came out (1974?) and loaned it to me because he found it hilarious. He had seen the movie when it had its short run in the theater in Tulsa, Oklahoma, where I grew up. Apparently the Tulsa audiences didn't appreciate the absurdist, sketch-style British comedy that the Pythonites made famous, and the movie only had a short run, leaving before I even knew it was there. My friend, who had introduced me to MPFC re-runs on the local PBS station, turning me into a fan, had managed to see it and bought the album at Peaches before it ran out.

He kindly allowed me to make a cassette tape of "The Album of the Soundtrack of the Trailer of the Film of Monty Python and the Holy Grail", which included about an hour's worth of the best scenes in the movie. I listened to that tape over and over for several years before I was finally able to see the movie itself when an acquaintance had a group of friends over to watch the VHS tape of it he had purchased. I was finally able to see the actions that went along with the dialog that I had pretty well memorized, and see a few new, short scenes that were not on the album. Somehow, actually seeing the actions helped make the dialog a bit funnier (although the initial coconut scene had already been spoiled for me), and I still enjoy the movie and have shared it with my kids via DVD -- although I made sure to mute the sound when they got to the "oral sex" bit at Castle Anthrax.

BTW: Back in '95 I was in Scotland for the WorldCon in Glasgow, and took the opportunity to tour the country for two weeks prior. My buddy and I visited the castle (Doune Castle) that stood in for Castle Anthrax, Swamp Castle, and the castle of the Frenchmen. It was the same structure, just filmed from different angles.

* You have no idea how badly I wanted to add "No, there is too much. Let me sum up."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.