$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 132.03

7,745 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.8% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Bloodborne: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Dear console players who want to play this game...by yourself. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emanuel Fratila
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dear PS4 player, you probably have heard that a new BloodBorne game is being made...a card game. Not the sequel...yet.
Ok, no big deal, you say, and wanted to give it a try (generally a card game is easy to pick up and play), either playing alone/solo or with a couple of real people/friends.
First and foremost, you want to know that:
1. you can't play this game by yourself, because it doesn't support solo mode, just like the main game from which is inspired. Which is sad.
Ok, no problem, you say, maybe you have a lot of friends that you meet in real life, and not on Sony PSN or other online servers. Then let's go to second part.
2. If you buy this game especially for playing with others, then this game is recommended for you, only if you play it with at least 2 other people.
Whaaat, there's no 2 players mode support ? just like the main game from which is inspired ? Nope. Sad again.

Let's take a moment and be honest here, this game has a huge potential of success, knowing that there're at least 1 million BloodBorne players, and although not all of them will get this card game, most of us are surely interested in it. Sad to say, when I read that is for 3+ players, for the majority this is enough to cut loose the entire enthusiasm. Which is sad indeed.
I know that mostly all the players, here on BGG, are fine with 3-5 players for any card game or board game, but for the console players, who were thinking that they can also play this game either alone or with 1 friend, this will make them think twice before buying the game. Triple sadness.
Why would you make a card game for 3-5 players, when the main game from which is inspired support 1-2-3 players ? You can't play BloodBorne on PS4 with more than 3 players. So why 5 ? Why ????!!!!

For myself, I have to pass on this game, because I won't be able to convince 2 players to play this game together. One player yeah sure, for 3-5 no way.

So, dear PS4 player, if you thought that you will get this game, to play by yourself when you are not in the mood for the main PS4 game, or when you have a spare time, until a new PS4 game is being installed, think again.
Unless you can clone yourself 2 times, or have 2+ brothers with the same taste as you, you can't play this game as a replacement for his big brother. Sadness overload.


Conclusion: this game is mostly for veteran board gamers and card players. For the rest of us, the PS4 players, we'll have to stick to the main game. Because, no solo mode, that's why.

PS: Thoughts of a console player with high hopes for this card game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Solo mode should have been just a re imagined version of Friday Card Game
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Scarbrough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why!?!?! you don't have people to play with? That is a problem that can be solved. Solo and 2 player are not deal breakers in the slightest and I'm a PS4 player. I have ton's of people that want to play this game because they are bloodborne fans. Board games are mean't for the most part to be a social experience and to bring people together. Yes there are games that support solo play or are just solo play but board gaming as a whole that is not. Also in general the games that just support it require a ton of extra book keeping and/or are not great experiences compared to playing with people.

This should not deter you from trying the game in the slightest. The number of players has nothing to do with PS4 game thats a bad argument for why it should. Based on the mechanics of how the game plays its semi co-op much like the PS4 game (hunters fight with or against you during fights) Just think of it as a game where you can't play offline (cheating anyway) and have constant invaders.

TLDR: Join meetup find a board game group and play games with people, claiming this is for vet's because of a player count is really not fair to the game as from what I have seen it is a fairly straightforward and easy to learn. Games like Eclipse or twilight imperium are for vet's at least IMO.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmb
if you read the rulebook you can see the genius behind the player count. Also, if it sells good new expansions could bring additional play styles/counts.

This game is getting some high praise very early. It's very quick and inexpensive and worth it if your a fan of Bloodborne, imo. As for getting three players together - sell the theme, the quickness and the uniqueness. At least, that is what I'm going to try.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That read a bit passive aggressive.
RipTail wrote:
So, dear PS4 player, if you thought that you will get this game, to play by yourself when you are not in the mood for the main PS4 game, or when you have a spare time, until a new PS4 game is being installed, think again
Lets be realistic here: you're advocating for putting theme above good game design. Pretty much every time (and specially when Eric Lang is the designer) you bet most will favor good game design instead.

Second: Realistically, how many PS4 gamers are going to think that a Bloodborne card game must play solo just because that's how the video game is played? What?! How many solo card games (or with a good solo variant) are out there? I think you should be happy that this game is a very well designed game based on the Bloodborne theme, not just the video game in card form.

This game seems to be good, like really good, and not at all for veteran boardgamers. I think in this case your strange expectations are to blame here, hopefully you can get over them or you might miss on enjoying a different type of game based on a theme that you clearly like.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strom40 wrote:
This game is getting some high praise very early.

Can you point to this high praise? I'm not questioning the praise, I'd just like to read it before making any decision.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmb
Geoff wrote:
Strom40 wrote:
This game is getting some high praise very early.

Can you point to this high praise? I'm not questioning the praise, I'd just like to read it before making any decision.


I listen to a bunch of Podcasts - numerous times on Dice Tower (Tom's played it numerous times & really likes it), Secret Cabal (a few times)- mostly concerning the CMON con they had. A couple others all having to do do with the CMON expo - I think it was Epic Game Night. I listen to a bunch of podcasts.

Tom mentions Bloodborne again in this weeks Dice Tower podcasts

Edit: Just remembered! Listened to Blue Peg Pink Peg this week also and they discussed Bloodborne.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ajnos Ajnos
msg tools
mb
Emanuel, you can find two friends to play with you. I believe in you!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Wannes
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Strom40 wrote:
if you read the rulebook you can see the genius behind the player count. Also, if it sells good new expansions could bring additional play styles/counts.

This game is getting some high praise very early. It's very quick and inexpensive and worth it if your a fan of Bloodborne, imo. As for getting three players together - sell the theme, the quickness and the uniqueness. At least, that is what I'm going to try.


Genius? I think you might be praising Eric Lang a little too much but I have to admit, turning a singleplayer videogame to a 3+ player cardgame is a feat. I've read the rulebook and theres nothing genius about it at all. Maybe Im a stupid amateur board/cardgame player not seeing the pure genius of Eric langs design?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Wannes
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Espinoza wrote:
That read a bit passive aggressive.
RipTail wrote:
So, dear PS4 player, if you thought that you will get this game, to play by yourself when you are not in the mood for the main PS4 game, or when you have a spare time, until a new PS4 game is being installed, think again
Lets be realistic here: you're advocating for putting theme above good game design. Pretty much every time (and specially when Eric Lang is the designer) you bet most will favor good game design instead


Thats just the thing, why does this have the bloodborne theme and name at all? Almost any theme could be slapped on this game. waste of the bloodborne IP If you ask me..
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Wannes
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
If you want a singleplayer horror cardgame, FFG announced the other day the Arkham Horror cardgame for 1-4 players. Bloodborne borrows heavily from Lovecrafts Cthulhu mythos, so you might like the theme of Arkham Horror.
Check it out and see if its something you'd like instead
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gabriel85 wrote:
Espinoza wrote:
That read a bit passive aggressive.
RipTail wrote:
So, dear PS4 player, if you thought that you will get this game, to play by yourself when you are not in the mood for the main PS4 game, or when you have a spare time, until a new PS4 game is being installed, think again
Lets be realistic here: you're advocating for putting theme above good game design. Pretty much every time (and specially when Eric Lang is the designer) you bet most will favor good game design instead


Thats just the thing, why does this have the bloodborne theme and name at all? Almost any theme could be slapped on this game. waste of the bloodborne IP If you ask me..
yeah.. I'm sure they won't sell a single one. *rolling eyes emoji here*

You ask why does it have the Bloodborne theme and name. I say, why not? The game is good, set in the Bloodborne universe; just because it doesn't play solo or is not a copy of the video game it doesn't mean that it is a wasted theme! I can't understand this position at all.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gabriel85 wrote:
If you want a singleplayer horror cardgame, FFG announced the other day the Arkham Horror cardgame for 1-4 players. Bloodborne borrows heavily from Lovecrafts Cthulhu mythos, so you might like the theme of Arkham Horror.
Check it out and see if its something you'd like instead
That wouldn't work. The OP doesn't just want ANY solo card game, he wants Bloodborne as a solo game, to "play by yourself when you are not in the mood for the main PS4 game, or when you have a spare time, until a new PS4 game is being installed"

I'm afraid Cthulhu is not going to cut it...

To make things worst, Arkham is an LCG; clearly for "veteran board gamers".
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmb
Gabriel85 wrote:
Strom40 wrote:
if you read the rulebook you can see the genius behind the player count. Also, if it sells good new expansions could bring additional play styles/counts.

This game is getting some high praise very early. It's very quick and inexpensive and worth it if your a fan of Bloodborne, imo. As for getting three players together - sell the theme, the quickness and the uniqueness. At least, that is what I'm going to try.


Genius? I think you might be praising Eric Lang a little too much but I have to admit, turning a singleplayer videogame to a 3+ player cardgame is a feat. I've read the rulebook and theres nothing genius about it at all. Maybe Im a stupid amateur board/cardgame player not seeing the pure genius of Eric langs design?


I stand by my comments - the uniqueness of the co-op, strategies of banking blood vs. keeping your opponent from banking/scoring, player engagement, source implementation (Difficulty, push your luck, healing, upgrading, etc.), interesting combat, awesome art & monsters/bosses and all this in a 40 minute game. Eric Lang is on fire right now and I think may have another hit on his hands with this powerful, little card game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuel Fratila
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Guys, I think that you all miss my original point, I didn't say that because the game doesn't support 1-2 players is bad or not good.
In fact, I just don't care if it has a genius design, a genius designer, a good company behind, a genial rulebook and so on. You get the idea.
This is almost irrelevant in my case.
My complain, so to speak, is the fact that despite the fact that you have already a licence created by another company, a very appreciated IP and good gameplay mechanics, you fail to deliver the core of the main game.
In BloodBone, chalice dungeons are ALL optional, and are considered zones for farming experience, items etc. The card game is based on this. Ok.
Next, you can play this game alone or with 1-2 friend online (maximum 3). The card game is from 3 to 5. Ok.
I simply don't understand why you didn't respect this mechanic from the original game, and make the card game to be able to play solo as well(please don't tell me that the genius of Eric isn't able to create a game of BllodBorne with invasions, meaning competitive gameplay, a co-op experience, meaning summoning, or a solo adventure, in normal or hard mode).
I don't care if by doing so, the game will be considered to copy another card game or 100 card games, because I don't have those games, and for me and the rest of PS4 players, this will be a fresh new game.
Let's imagine the following:
1. If PS4 BloodBorne has been designed from scratch with 3-5 players in mind, in order to play, will all those fans that exist (over 1 million) still enjoyed and bought the game ? I don't think so.
When you came home from work, and have a spare time, and wanted to play a quick 1-2h session of BB, if you aren't able to find 2+ players to play, you won't be able to enjoy it, and constantly you have to depend on this.
That's why all video games start from ONE to whatever players, and not from 3-4 up.
2. If BloodBorne the card game, has been designed from the beginning with 1-4 players in mind, as an example, this definitely would help in the success and sales of the game.

I love BloodBorne, I respect Hidetaka Miyazaki (creator of the video game) and I am a fan of Dark Souls series, and it hurts me when I see that after months of waiting for this game, I can't enjoy it solo or with a friend of mine. I need a friggin group for this.

Reason, in my opinion, why video games are better than board games, in this aspect: they can be played anytime alone, while for board games you need to find people to play with.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh relax. This wasn't promised to you. Board games are mostly social experiences, multiplayer. If this was a single player card game, I probably wouldn't buy it, and I'm a huge fan of Bloodborne on PS4.

This doesn't replace the game. This isn't the sequel to the game. It's just a neat little card game with a Bloodborne theme.


You also shouldn't be hurt after months of waiting for this. It was clear from the outset that it would require 3 players.


"Reason, in my opinion, why video games are better than board games, in this aspect: they can be played anytime alone, while for board games you need to find people to play with."

There's no correlation here between video and board game. Video games might be more captivating to a solo player, what with AI, I suppose, so board games tend to be more exciting with unknown variables, like other human players.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Simmons
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
"...it doesn't support solo mode, just like the main game from which is inspired."

Ummm, you can play Bloodborne on PS4 solo. You can play totally offline and never get invaded or summon people in.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Paoletti
msg tools
mbmb
Video games and board games are undeniably two different media, each with their own speciality.

Putting the theme aside, BloodBorne VG is a game with a scripted storyline and a fast-paced combat system.
Turns out, board games aren't very good at fast-paced action due to the fiddly nature of physical components. And because of this, a fixed story, no matter how engrossing would hurt the replayability of the board game.

Having Chalice dungeons as a setting and a 3< player count adds enough variables to make the game fun to play as a board game. Point is, even while it's different from the videogame it still seems a good experience on is own. Just different.

Of course that doesn't change the fact that the OP may not have the possibility to organize a play group but hey, that's when video games come into play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Valencia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's be honest, though--there's no reason 1-2 player variants should be excluded from the box. Most semi-coops have them, they would dramatically increase the potential audience, and they wouldn't necessarily require any extra components or remove anything from the core game. I could easily envision an automated player of some kind to make it accessible to lower player counts.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
Let's be honest, though--there's no reason 1-2 player variants should be excluded from the box.
I guess the designer and publisher must be dishonest or stupid then. Oh wait, maybe there's another reason...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Valencia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Espinoza wrote:
kittenhoarder wrote:
Let's be honest, though--there's no reason 1-2 player variants should be excluded from the box.
I guess the designer and publisher must be dishonest or stupid then. Oh wait, maybe there's another reason...


Misstep by the publisher. Cutthroat Caverns came out almost 10 years ago and has taken a lot of criticism for not including a 2-player variant. The Bloodborne IP is primarily focused on single player with indirect multiplayer elements, none of them semi-cooperative. CMON had every reason to predict the demand for a 2-player variant, at minimum, and should have invested some resources into developing one. Remember, we are talking about the same publisher that erroneously printed 2-5 players on the box, the same publisher who printed a whole run of Xenoshyft without enough resource cards to support a 4-player game. They put out some good products, but they are definitely not infallible.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Eric Lang iterates, tests and redesigns each of his games over and over, obsessively, for months, sometimes years. You should at least give him the benefit of the doubt.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe designing yet another 2 player card game was not on the cards (hehe)? There's a glut of great ones already. Perhaps the move to 3P+ opens up a lot of design possibilities?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Valencia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Espinoza wrote:
Eric Lang iterates, tests and redesigns each of his games over and over, obsessively, for months, sometimes years. You should at least give him the benefit of the doubt.


Absolutely. If Eric Lang feels this is a 3-5 player game, that's where he should focus his effort. But how does that preclude a 1- or 2-player variant? Much of the time, such variants come from the developers, not the lead designer. It's CMON who dropped the ball here.

Not that Eric Lang is perfect, either. Remember the call of cthulhu lcg?

I'm not trying to hate on the game. Rather, I'm stating that CMON really should have foreseen the negative reaction to the player count and taken measures to address it. And there HAS been a negative reaction; every thread I have seen that mentions this game, somebody brings up the player count. The game will do fantastic regardless, but who knows how well it could have done otherwise? I guarantee this is not the last thread you will see on this topic.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it had a silly subtitle like "Chalice Dungeons" would it keep people happy?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.