The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Imrahil ally>hero>ally resource question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Willmott
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've looked around for the answer to this one but can't find it.

I'm playing a Caldara deck with the new Imrahil ally.

Simple question. Caldara gets discarded and Imrahil becomes a hero. When I bring back Caldara with F&F, what happens to any resources still on Imrahil? Do they stay there and wait for another opportunity for Imrahil to show his quality or are they discarded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nwillmott wrote:
I've looked around for the answer to this one but can't find it.

I'm playing a Caldara deck with the new Imrahil ally.

Simple question. Caldara gets discarded and Imrahil becomes a hero. When I bring back Caldara with F&F, what happens to any resources still on Imrahil? Do they stay there and wait for another opportunity for Imrahil to show his quality or are they discarded?

Not an expert but my from other threads I apply this rule:
If it "hurts" the player then that is probably the correct way to play it.
So I would think the resources would go away but I'm not that far yet in expansions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure he keeps the resources, but you can't spend them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
I'm pretty sure he keeps the resources, but you can't spend them.
this is how i would rule it, but i feel that this thing needs an official ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Burkett
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You definitely wouldn't be able to spend them, but I think they'd stay put. After all, other allies have resources put on them for other reasons. Although, they do typically specify to place actual resources in a hero's "resource pool", which maybe is different than just having resources placed "on them". So basically I just talked myself out of being certain that they wouldn't go away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to submit an official rules question about this, but FFG's website apparently doesn't like my browser or my ISP or something. Someone else will need to ask this question.

If you want to copy and paste the question that I wrote, for convenience's sake, here it is:

The question I didn't manage to ask wrote:

Another question about Caldara and ally Prince Imrahil came up. Say I discard Caldara, making Imrahil a hero. A few turns later, when Imrahil has, say, two resource tokens on him, I bring Caldara back with Fortune or Fate. Now there is no longer a hero in my discard pile, so Imrahil is an ally again. What happens to his resource tokens? I see two possibilities:

1) He keeps them, but he cannot spend them since nothing on his card allows him to spend resource tokens as an ally. (Unlike, say, ally Treebeard). If I discard Caldara again, he will still have his two resource tokens, and at the start of the next Resource phase he will get a third resource token.

2) They are discarded, because his card doesn't give him any reason to have resources when he's an ally. (Again, unlike Treebeard). So if I discard Caldara again and Imrahil becomes a hero again, he starts from zero, and after next Resource phase he will have just one token.

3) Something else I haven't thought of.

(Assume in all these scenarios that Imrahil never leaves play while this is all going on.)

Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, I said "another question" because in the https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/225784-prince... thread, the question came up of how many allies Caldara would fetch if Imrahil is in play. The answer, surprisingly, was that Imrahil becomes a hero before Caldara's effect is resolved, so she would fetch three allies, "or even 4 if you make a unique spirit ally into a hero with Sword-thain first." (Direct quote from Caleb's response).

I've never made a Caldara deck before, because her ability seemed underwhelming. But now I'm going to have to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
What's surprising about that? His effect is permanent/passive, so of course it would butt into her effect resolution immediately as it becomes relevant.

Also, since one can only ever (currently?) get Caldara back with FoF, which is pretty expensive, would one *ever* not blow any resources Imrahil might have to help pay for that? The resource question is a fun thought experiment, but wouldn't really ever come into play in a plausible actual play situation, imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
Also, since one can only ever (currently?) get Caldara back with FoF, which is pretty expensive, would one *ever* not blow any resources Imrahil might have to help pay for that? The resource question is a fun thought experiment, but wouldn't really ever come into play in a plausible actual play situation, imo.

Well, there could always be 6+ resources on Imrahil when you go to play FoF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
Weltenreiter wrote:

Not playing any blue cards whatsoever to keep his resources down while waiting 6+ turns to draw a FoF? Ok then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
Weltenreiter wrote:

Not playing any blue cards whatsoever to keep his resources down while waiting 6+ turns to draw a FoF? Ok then.

I never said it's a reasonable situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mabry
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
Weltenreiter wrote:
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
Weltenreiter wrote:

I never said it's a reasonable situation.

Well that may not be a reasonable situation, but it is quite reasonable to say...want to have 1 resource on Imrahil and 1 resource on each of your other heroes so that you could play Shadows Give Way.

So you bring back Caldara with FoF leaving 1 resource on Imrahil and your other two heroes. Discard Caldara to get more allies, and still have enough resources to play Shadows Give Way.

Although I can't think of an all too reasonable reason why you wouldn't just play it before using Caldara in the combat phase. Maybe you need the allies in play during the encounter phase to soak up some damage from certain enemies that have damaging engagement effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Willmott
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses. Maybe I should have said that this situation did occur, but it was the first time I had played a Caldara deck, and the first time I had played Imrahil... Maybe I should have thought to spend his resources first, but it didn't occur to me.

Anyway, I left the resources on him, assuming that they could be used once he became a hero again. I'll wait for an official ruling and in the meantime I'll have a word with myself for not thinking things through properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.