13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: 'the hotness' rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Burke
msg tools
designer
Hi I am a board game designer and was wondering what determines what game is at the top of the BGG hotness list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
Petting Zoo wrote:
Hi I am a board game designer and was wondering what determines what game is at the top of the BGG hotness list?

The game with the most shill visits gets the hotness. You need to get your game on Kickstarter, create a really good looking box cover image, and include 180 miniature alien zombie vampires. Eight or ten stretch goals and you're set. You can start working on the rules in six weeks.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Holidays! ABCDEFGHIJK MNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
"[T]he Hotness reflects the dynamic popularity of items based on recent viewings."

From the Wiki which can be searched using the top search bar. (Use the pull down menu to change from "Board Game".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much what Sagrilarus said. Which makes it completely useless. Which is why for me (and others) it's not visible at all. It's hidden (via settings). And the extra screen real estate is extremely welcomed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Pretty much what Sagrilarus said. Which makes it completely useless. Which is why for me (and others) it's not visible at all. It's hidden (via settings). And the extra screen real estate is extremely welcomed.

Yup marketing hype which to me makes it a game to stay away from.

Hidden though for me too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Burke
msg tools
designer
For someone like you guys were do you look to learn about new games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
I find rules questions posted in the games feed often catch my attention. As often as not I'm clicking on the game's page instead of the question's page.

The industry is much more fractured now. It's harder to find the gems than it used to be.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Petting Zoo wrote:

News, geeklists, announcements from trusted publishers, blogs, etc. There is no good single source (without being ridiculously overly noisy), regrettably.

The industry is highly seasonal, so if you look at reports people post from Essen and GenCon, and look for patterns, that will get you 90% of the good games that come out each year. Well, there's also the Kickstarter monster, if you're into that. My recommendation is to stay far far away from that, at least until you feel saturated from already-published games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have geek bubbies that either talk a lot here or that I just have very similar tastes. I am subscribed to them and see what they are takking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Petting Zoo wrote:

I'm assuming you're referring to newly released games?

I do refer to The Hotness to an extent. If I've seen a game mentioned in the regular or games forums repeatedly and it's currently "hot", I may click and check it out.

I sometimes read the BoardGameGeek News "New Game Round-up" announcements.

I regularly look at my favorite OLGS's upcoming/preorder page to see what new games might interest me. They use thumbnails of the game boxes, so appealing artwork plays a part.

I don't look at new releases on Kickstarter. Likewise, if a game is mentioned in the press release or crowdfunding forums, I generally ignore it.

I don't use social media, read blogs, or subscribe to publishers' newsletters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Wow Petting Zoo, welcome to the jaded old guard who consider checkers to be an untried newcomer with too much glitz and glam to actually be a good game! laugh As concerns the hotness, they are not totally pessimistic though. Many kick starters have backers thumb images etc for social stretch goals to get on the list and give their games some exposure. Those that go on and stay on are the more established games that draw crowds to their games page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Holidays! ABCDEFGHIJK MNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I find BoardGameGeek News useful.

While I'm sure people try to manipulate The Hotness, when my gaming group is talking about a new game, it's generally on The Hotness. Scythe is the current example.

Also, I listen to my group: if they aren't interested, it isn't going to be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hotness indicates absolutely nothing other than page hits. The hotness, according to BGG admin, is whatever is getting the most views. This is from ANY view hits like google search, etc. This is why a game may jump all of a sudden. Sometimes what will climb hotness is a game thats currently generating alot of trouble or controvercy in some form. Doom that Came to Atlantic City or Myth.

Followed by pages with alot of activity.

Also there are some people on BGG who think its funny to artificially boost a game.

The Hotness is less than worthless as its also edited. There are games that will not appear ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.