Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Gnech
United States
Harrisburg
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm not sure if we did this right, but seems a bit unbalanced.

Let's say we have a 2 player game.
Player A has 3 regular military, 1 xeno military, and no defense.
Player B has 2 military, no xeno military, and 2 defense.

So reading the rules, it seems like either player can defeat a 3 strength xeno card. But Player B will get the easier card (being lower on the track) and will get more vps for doing the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But player a has the ability to settle more worlds for free, and is in position to win the 5 points at the end of the game for highest military vs xenos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gnech
United States
Harrisburg
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way i see it, there's really two types of strategies in the base game of Race. Goods and military. The goods guy gets the supply bonus, the military guy gets the military bonus. So that balances out.

Then since a lit of production/halo worlds give you defense, seems like that would always be the optimal strategy, so it would just come down to who had better draws.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mumu shanshi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stop press! RftG has been solved devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
DiceGods wrote:
it would just come down to who had better draws

Yup, just like games with no luck comes down to whomever goes first...

Or, maybe, besides luck of the draw (in games with luck) and first player advantage (in games without luck), skillful play does matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rain
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DiceGods wrote:
The way i see it, there's really two types of strategies in the base game of Race. Goods and military.

You missed Dev, Trade, and Tempo. The goods strategy you mention is usually referred to as an engine, since it requires consume powers along with goods to succeed. But we're not talking about the base game here. In the XI invasion scenario, there are two other strategies that stand out to me: military hybrid, and producer.

A military hybrid tableau includes a strong production leech (goods and/or cards) that makes up for lesser military strength. It is capable of leeching settles, defending against invasion, and scoring during the consume phase. A producer tableau can win by repeatedly calling produce, and doesn't need consume powers (unlike a typical engine).

There are likely other strategies I am missing (I have only played the invasion scenario 20 or so times). In other formats, there are other distinct strategies, such as Windfall Spam (with Gathering Storm), Prestige (with Brink of War), and (what I call) the Big Build (also Brink of War). I would also argue that "Suicide Engines", i.e. ones that give up building, (e.g. ELC+ATS in TGS, or PGSC+ICB in BoW) play significantly differently from a standard engine.

It is also crucial to point out that the success of any strategy also depends on what your opponents are doing. For example, a Producer could do well against a Big Military board, but suffer against a Hybrid board with a good production leech. In addition to the skill necessary for building and managing your strategy, you also need to adjust it to everything else that is going on in the game. Luck matters, but skill matters much more.

DiceGods wrote:
Then since a lit lot of production/halo worlds give you defense

5 is not a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And of the 5 non-gray worlds that give defense; only one non-homeworld gives it "freely." The other 3 require discarding a good. That said, those worlds are very powerful and important if you're doing a produce/consume strategy, since by phase III of the invasion, you'll need that extra boost if you don't have any military.

Meanwhile, the high military player is putting out things like Rebel Homeworld for 7 VPs, or dropping some enormous alien windfall worlds, trading off those goods, and playing down a nice 6'er like New Galactic Order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.