Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Gringer
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, now that a Vassal module is out there, I need to get playing. Anyone have any recommendations on which scenario might work best as an introduction to the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Clark
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably best to try one of the shorter scenarios for your first play - there's at least one with just three turns. But the critical thing is to start playing as well as reading the rule book. Indeed, best way to learn is to play. Beresford has posted some very helpful house rules (see the Files section here) with his own design notes here, which I recommend.

And on the subject of Vassal, I'm keen to start playing WBTS too, either by PBeM or live via Skype. My time zone: GMT + 1 (BST currently). I prefer live play but not always feasible. PBeM is slow but allows you time to play and read/learn the rules. Please PM me if interested. Let's get into this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Simon
United States
New Milford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would try one of the later scenarios. The columns are smaller and there a lesser need to forage the map to death. You can concentrate more on the art of maneuvering (and coordinating) those columns.

I would also play a practice battle (set up your own). The mechanisms for playing out a battle are fairly straightforward and you shouldn't have any trouble with them. But what you need to understand is how absolutely devastating battles are to both armies. The Designers Notes make mention of this but seeing it for yourself will drive the point home more effectively. You don't fight unless you have to or you have a decided advantage (and you can keep your opponent from evading). There was a reason these guys didn't fight more than a battle or two every year. The design brings this out quite nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget to download the Clarifications file from consimworld. And note that Breisach is in Baden, not in Alsace as it says several times in the Playbook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
should we post those here?

I would be game to do a pbem game in about a month or so if anyone is interested. I am in EST.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gringer
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tip, Beresford. For good measure I'll upload it to BGG.

beresford wrote:
Don't forget to download the Clarifications file from consimworld. And note that Breisach is in Baden, not in Alsace as it says several times in the Playbook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.