Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
I had had a good life, I thought, a pretty good life. I was at the beach with Sonia, my wife, and the sun was setting, and felt sort of ... tired, I suppose. I closed my eyes and thought back.

I had always been productive. I remembered that time in my late teens, when I had saved enough cash to chip in for a small swimming pool in our back yard. The money I had gotten from running erands and delivering newspapers, and I loved that pool. It sure did attract the girls of the neighborhood - in fact that is how I eventually met Sonia. I was always creative, and I remember spending long night writing what I thought was the perfect Dungeons & Dragons campaign, but while the planning went well, nobody really turned up to play the game with me - perhaps it was a mistake that I instisted to also play the mage of the party.

I got older and got a job as a screenwriter for a soap opera. I wanted to write for HBO - but competition was hard, so I wrote episodes on evil twins with amnesia, you know good stuff. I also started dating Sonia. My childhood friends, Jay and Emm, were concerned that she was too hung up on material goods, but I saw beyond that - Sonia was the girl for me. When dad retired, he and mom wanted to move somewhere quieter, so I bought the house from them. I was looking to move up in the world of creative writing, but no positions were open. So one day Chuck, my boss' boss, fired my boss, and like that I got a chance to manage screenwriters instead of writing screen plays myself. I was probably for the best - I mean my friend Jay had written a play in her spare time, which was quite a bit more succesful than anything I ever wrote, and in fact Emm would go on to direct that same play - a satirical play about a struggling screenwriter with a materialistic girlfriend - and get a big time production up on off-off-off Broadway! Anyway the new job paid better, as Sonia pointed out, which allowed us to get that snooker table and new camera, we had been talking about. It was while talking pictures of Sonia playing snooker that I finally popped the big question, and after looking my in the eye for a second, and taking in our beautiful house, pool, snooker table and camera, she said yes! making me the happiest man.

The next years were busy, busy, busy, maintaing my career in management, while raising our family. I did try my hand at cooking, eventually putting out a surprisingly good Beef Wellington. We upgraded the pool to an infinity pool, and used it as much as possible. The kids grew and got kids of their own. I took their pictures with my trusty camera.

My friends Emm and Jay had done well too. Jay had never married - in fact pursuing her carreer in HR left no time for romance, so it was a bad blow when she was laid off. She got her dream job teaching creative writing in high school, and though I don't know where the money came from, she did spend a lot in her later years. A sports car, a boat - she had always been riding her Fonda motorcycle, but boy did she upgrade in those years. She was also a raid leader in an on-line guild.

Emm went into researching, and she and her boyfriend were always reading, first her comic-books, then all the books in their library. They sometimes went fishing, probably were she got that secret ingredient for her famous recipe for duck a la chicken a la surprise.

'Want to go for a swim in the pool?', Sonia had said. 'No' I said 'Let's go to the beach'. And there we were, the sun setting, my eyes closed. I had had a good life, I thought as I slipped away, a pretty good life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
Somerset
NJ
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Christian,

This was beautiful. I actually got chills as I read this, your thematic session report of The Pursuit of Happiness.

Thank you so much for posting such a great story, one which the experience of the game helped you create!

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
evilone wrote:

Christian,

This was beautiful. I actually got chills as I read this, your thematic session report of The Pursuit of Happiness.

Thank you so much for posting such a great story, one which the experience of the game helped you create!

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games

Thank you for the kind words. I really enjoyed the game and so did my wife and daughter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.