17 Posts

Notre Dame» Forums » General

Subject: Looking for games like Notre Dame (fast, but smart) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Serj Falinskiy
Ukraine
flag msg tools
Hello! I am a big fan of Notre Dame and i looking for board games with the same small amount of play time (40 min) and gameplay depth.

What games do you recommend? I will be grateful for answers.

I play 7 wonders (fast and smart game), it's great, but i hope to find something new and interesting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Shaw

Central
Hong Kong
msg tools
mbmbmb
serj_falinskiy wrote:
Hello! I am a big fan of Notre Dame and i looking for board games with the same small amount of play time (40 min) and gameplay depth.

I play 7 wonders (fast and smart game), it's great, but i hope to find something new and interesting

No card-drafting, but the quasi-civ-builder Deus plays fast and smooth - and the rules are easy to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Shaw

Central
Hong Kong
msg tools
mbmbmb
serj_falinskiy wrote:

How many players do you usually have and what type of mechanisms/style of games do you like (other than Notre Dame and 7 Wonders)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serj Falinskiy
Ukraine
flag msg tools
We play for 3 players and I like eurogames. I like game with dice, worker placement, can't really tell what mechanism is my favorite)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serj Falinskiy
Ukraine
flag msg tools
thank you ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
serj_falinskiy wrote:
We play for 3 players and I like eurogames. I like game with dice, worker placement, can't really tell what mechanism is my favorite)

Based on those preferences...I will recommend The Voyages of Marco Polo, Bora Bora (also from Feld), and Grand Austria Hotel (although not sure about the lenght for 3players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Castrequini
Brazil
Valinhos
SP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aps29 wrote:
serj_falinskiy wrote:

No card-drafting, but the quasi-civ-builder Deus plays fast and smooth - and the rules are easy to learn.

I would suggest Ginkgopolis (I am a big fan of it and its designer is somewhat related to Deus's one).

Also I would suggest Luna (from Notre dame designer).

Both are clever. Maybe not smooth as Deus (but not rougher than Notre Dame).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serj Falinskiy
Ukraine
flag msg tools
thanks for your recommendation

i played VoMP, but I think it's harder then ND, and need more time to think on your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SapoLJackson wrote:
serj_falinskiy wrote:

Based on those preferences...I will recommend The Voyages of Marco Polo, Bora Bora (also from Feld), and Grand Austria Hotel (although not sure about the lenght for 3players).

All of those are good games, but none of them fit in the time limit they're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Deus. That is just a really fun game. I love Notre Dame so hopefully you would have the same reaction to Deus.

We play mostly 2p so I'm not sure if that fits with you.

I also love a lot of the Felds so you might want to try them. Many of them might run over the 40 minute time restriction though. Bruges is fun if you don't mind predominantly tactical decisions. I especially love Macao but it is a polarizing game, people seem to either love it or hate it. It has a very slow build up, which can be frustrating, but it's really fun when you get over that hump.

Concordia with the Britannia map for 2 (Concordia: Britannia / Germania) is a thing of beauty also.

Orléans and The Voyages of Marco Polo are also both worth looking at. Orleans is a bit lighter, but it's really fun to draw your characters out of the bag. Orleans and Marco both have a rather fast and furious feel--Orleans because turns are lightning fast, Marco because each character seems almost wildly overpowered. (In reality they are not, but if you can play to the strengths of your character you will be rewarded.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
serj_falinskiy wrote:

The only two games I can think of that rival Notre Dame for quickness, simplicity, and depth are Drakon, and The Princes of Florence.

Drakon is a tile laying game where each turn you choose to either lay a tile or move your hero one space. There are different icons and exits on the tiles (and generally you can not go back to the tile you just came from). I love all the nasty ways you can set up tiles to mess with your opponent(s). With multiple players, it's a bit chaotic (but fun). With 2 players, it's kind of chess-like.

Prices of Florence is an auction and recipe-filling game. You try to buy things that will make your artisans produce higher quality works, and then play your artisans on the table to collect points. There is an interesting decision of how much of the work value to take as money - not enough and you will have to lose points later at a worse ratio, but too much and you're inefficiently left with money at the end. The one problem with the game is that Jesters are worth about 3 times as much as any other thing you can win in the auction, and it's hard for new players to realize this, but as long as you make people aware of that, it can be taken into account when bidding. The other problem with this game is that it's ugly. Not a huge deal to me, but if they produced a nice-looking version of it, I'd buy it in a second. As it is, I've been waiting to see a good deal on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love playing Bruges and it has a similar feel to Notre Dame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Shaw

Central
Hong Kong
msg tools
mbmbmb
serj_falinskiy wrote:

If Voyages of MP plays too long for you, I suggest you steer clear of Grand Austria Hotel. I really like both these games, but if VoMP falls outside your criteria, GAH definitely does.

+1 on Bruges, although I find it plays a bit "loose" with three players and deciding how best to play the multi-use cards can slow things down a bit.

Since you are okay with dice, a more left-field suggestion is Roll for the Galaxy. Learning how to "programme" your dice can be a small hurdle for some players, but once you understand how that works, it plays really fast and smooth.

No dice or cards, but Vikings is really solid light-Med Euro. Basic game rules are super easy and turns go fast, but there are also several advanced options that are an official part of the game if you feel you need to take it up a level. It's an 'older' (2007! haha) title so isn't all the hotness, but definitely worth a look.

Ginkgopolis is also good but, depending on where you are located, can be hard to come by for a reasonable price.

Lancaster is also nice fast-playing worker-placement (with a bit of a twist) Euro that is easy to learn and has a couple of expansions if you find you like it.

If you're willing to push the limits of your requirements a little bit, Castles of Burgundy is an incredibly elegant game. It doesn't look that great but it just flows beautifully. (Trajan is my favourite Feld but I think CoB is probably his 'masterpiece' to date.)

(EDIT: to make titles easier to see)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about Marco Polo and Austria Hotel, those are great games but will take about 2 hours specially during your first games.

Games I remember, not similar to Notre Dame mechanics, but with a feeling of depth in under an hour would be Knizia's Samurai, Vikings, Palaces of Carrara, Ra, Castles of Mad King Ludwig.

Those are my group's elections when we have an hour more to spend and want some strategic decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Milestones fits. Many of the games mentioned here play nowhere as fast as Notre Dame. Antike might work as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Wehner

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmb
I would think Glass Road would do: it's been about 45 minutes for me and has a good amount of depth at that time commitment. It's a Witch's Brew / Broom Service -style social deduction mechanism instead of drafting, but we found it plays reasonably well with 2p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Glass Road can be played in about 40 minutes and feels like all other Uwe Rosenberg games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.