12 Posts

Race for the Galaxy: Alien Artifacts» Forums » General

Subject: Would this expansion work with The Gathering Storm? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonny
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I already own TG, but AA looks interesting. However, theidea of going through the deck to pick out one set of expansion cards to replace with anotherndoesn't seem that appealing...

Sorry if this question has already been asked. I had a look but couldn't see it!

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, not officially. Here's why the designer thinks it's a bad idea:

Re: Mixing AA with the 1st Arc Expansions

Removing one expansion and replacing it with another only takes a couple of minutes and isn't something you're likely to want to do that often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As above, removing the Gathering Storm, which is only 18 cards, would take around 1 minute. Removing AA, when you want to go back to Gathering Storm takes at most 2 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Brilliant responses, thanks :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other reason for not mixing all the expansions together is that gathering storm feels very different to alien artifacts which feels very different to xeno invasion. Mixing them loses that. By taking a couple of minutes to separate out, you end up with two or three different games available.

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would work perfectly fine with the Robot, using a variant I made:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/103929/solitaire-game-alie...

You can use AA with all of the Arc 1 expansions with no trouble, so long as you actually do remove specific cards that wreck the game play balance. Here's an extensive post I made detailing which cards I removed from the four-expansion list. I start the post by addressing all of the problems the designer had with mixing the two expansion arcs:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1176877/four-expansion-custo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Balance issues can arise if you mix AA with TGS. That said, feel free to try it out none of the less. If you play with the Orb Scenario (from AA), cards related to that won't come up as often due to dilution. Some of the cards may not jive well and require some of your own rules about how to resolve (e.g. Improved Logistics vs. Imperium Supply Convoy).

I wish Keldon's AI would allow this. It'd be neat to explore this variant.

pfctsqr wrote:
As above, removing the Gathering Storm, which is only 18 cards, would take around 1 minute. Removing AA, when you want to go back to Gathering Storm takes at most 2 minutes.
Call me impatient, but if you play Race dozens and dozens of times on end, those 1 to 2 minutes can add up. I'd probably consider getting a 2nd base game as for me, time is also money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
Call me impatient, but if you play Race dozens and dozens of times on end, those 1 to 2 minutes can add up. I'd probably consider getting a 2nd base game as for me, time is also money.

Only if you change it between every game. Generally, we stick with one combination for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, only two developments actually affect the Orb module mechanics, and they're non-critical to gameplay, so it's not a big deal if they're diluted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
loofish wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

Only if you change it between every game. Generally, we stick with one combination for a while.
I won't refute your observations and experiences.

For me though back last decade, I often switched between the full arc 1 vs. just TGS that it was worth it for me to have a 2nd copy of the base game. I couldn't always plan to play at least x games with just TGS to teach newbies, and then go ahead with y more games with just experience players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it depends on you play with. With most people playing whichever it set up is fine (and switching occasionally), but there are a couple of times when teaching new players unexpectedly that I've wanted multiple base sets as I need to explain the game, remove expansions & find starting hands quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
We've just added the expansion cards into the main deck as we've gotten them with no noticeable impact to play over at least a hundred games since we added our first. There are a few strategies (I recall some from Xeno Invasion but that might just be because it's our most recent) that get diluted and become more of a shoot the moon strategy but for us it's still preferable to sorting cards and we like the variety. Note that we have yet to play the Orb or whatever the Xeno game is called - anything more than cards gets too cumbersome for what we enjoy about Race For The Galaxy.

We also created laminated copies of all starting worlds so we wouldn't have to deal with sorting those out either so you can tell which way we lean on the "convenience vs as designed" issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.