7,600 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
47.9% of Goal | left

Support:

Marius Friedrichs
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were playing the Army of Dal'Zunm quest from the Heirs of Blood campaign last night and got into a discussion about the Overlord's victory conditions.

The quest's special rules state that
Quote:
Each time a zombie enters an empty space on the Open Field, that zombie mutates (see "Victory"); immediately replace that zombie with 1 fatigue token ...

Then under reinforcements it tells you that
Quote:
At the start of each overlord turn, the overlord may replace each fatigue token on the map with 1 ettin, using the 4-hero group limits.

Finally, the victory conditions for the OL are
Quote:
If 3 zombies mutate, read the following aloud: [...] The overlord wins this encounter!

My question is, if the OL replaces one of the fatigue tokens with an ettin is it still counted as a mutated zombie?
For example: If the OL has 2 fatigue tokens on the Open Field and replaces them with the ettins. Then in another turn gets one more zombie to mutate, does he win or would he need two more zombies now that he has replaced the first two tokens with the ettins?

My argument (OL) was that since the heroes are able to stake the zombies and the ettins, they would still count towards that victory condition as long as they are alive and not staked. The heroes argued that since the fatigue token was replaced it would not count towards the winning condition as long as the ettins are alive, but in my opinion, then it would be pointless to get the ettins in the first place because you would actually need at least 5 mutated zombies to win.

I tried searching for this but didn't come up with any results. What would you suggest? Did you have that argument when playing this quest or did I overthink this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grisman
England
flag msg tools
I'd definitely agree with you here, the key is that 3 zombies have mutated (turned from Zombies to Ettins, thematically), not that there are three fatigue tokens on the map. Otherwise, well, the victory conditions would normally say when 3 fatigue tokens are placed on the map

Edit: and I don't have the questbook in front of me, but I dont think it matters if an ettin has been Staked or not, it still counts towards the victory condition because a zombie did mutate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answer! I didn't think about it this way but your addition about the staked ettin actually makes sense because the mutation of the zombie did happen before the ettin was placed on the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still curious as to what others are thinking about this.

The fact that we discussed it and the heroes decided that I would need another two zombies to mutate if I summon the ettins (or get the ettins killed by them) so there are three fatigue markers on the board led to me effectively losing the quest because I couldn't get two more zombies to mutate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smithe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the victory conditions are pretty clear.

In the special rules section:
"Each time a zombie enters an empty space on the Open Field, that zombie mutates (see: Victory)..."

Under victory conditions:
"If 3 zombies mutate..."

In other words:

zombie mutating = zombie entering an empty space on the Open Field

victory requirement = "zombie mutating" has to happen 3 times.

That is, once 3 zombies have entered empty spaces on the open field (in total, not at the same time) the overlord wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your thoughts, Paul! It seems like I was right and that I'll have to discuss this again with my group when we next meet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.