BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Newbie: Ultimate Werewolf or Werewolves of Miller's Hollow rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emily Sandoval
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Hi y'all, forgive me if this isn't the right place to ask about this.

My friends and I recently go into tabletop games and I was wondering if maybe you can help shed some light on these two games. I know they're basically the same game (Werewolf/Mafia) but I was wondering if one was better or easier to understand/play?

Currently UWW: Deluxe Edition is 24.99 on Amazon and WoMH is $33 for The Pact edition which is basically the original game and all the expansions plus some extra things. I don't mind the prices of either just wanted to hear the opinions of others!

Thanks!

PS. I'd love to hear other recommendations for games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kellett
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While they both do the same job, I would recommend Ultimate Werewolf over Millers hollow if you and your group are new to games/werewolf.

UWW has the role names & descriptions printed on each character card so players can always check what their character is and is supposed to do (although that could look suspicious).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I wouldn't recommend either one.
I always felt that these Werewolf decks were money grabs. Werewolf/Mafia was originally played with just a common deck of playing cards, and people would agree that (for instance) the black aces were the werewolfs, and assign other cards to other roles. I never wanted to pay money for someone who did nothing else than make pretty cards for the same game. One part of it was that I didn't like that someone else decided for our group which roles would be in the game. It's one thing to say: "The jack of diamonds is a priest", it's something different to say: "This custom Werewolf deck doesn't have a priest, so we'll pretend that the 'washer woman' card is a priest."

But anyway, the problem with Werewolf is that it shuts people out quickly. When you're killed, you're out of the game and can follow it from the sidelines.
There's a better alternative now; The Resistance. Everybody stays in the game till the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that The Resistance or The Resistance: Avalon are better choices for hidden traitor social games. I think Werewolf shines when you have 15+ and somebody with story telling skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
To avoid having someone eliminated from day one, without even doing anything, you may wish to consider:

For smaller group (around 4-8):
Ultimate Werewolf: Inquisition - no moderator and no elimination, all players involved til the end

For larger group (10+):
Two Rooms and a Boom - as the title implies, you'll need 2 separate rooms to play meeple

If you are interested, you can even try a print and play in the 'Files' section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
MischiefMayhem wrote:

My friends and I recently go into tabletop games and I was wondering if maybe you can help shed some light on these two games. I know they're basically the same game (Werewolf/Mafia) but I was wondering if one was better or easier to understand/play?

The primary thing to consider about Werewolf/Mafia is the player count. As someone else said, it doesn't really get interesting until you have at least 15 people, so it's really more of a party game than a "me and my friends on a Saturday afternoon" game.

Also, you need a moderator, in case that wasn't clear. Someone who doesn't play, but reads out activities and "supervises" the game.

The Resistance has already been suggested as an alternative that seats a more reasonable head count and doesn't require a moderator. Another one in a similar vein is One Night Ultimate Werewolf (don't let the art style fool you - it's fun for all ages!) It's a werewolf variant that plays 3 - 10 people (best with 6-7 IMO, but works with other numbers) and keeps everyone in the game by virtue of ending after a single night. It takes literally five minutes to play, but it's so fun you'll end up going several sessions in a row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.