Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Lush
United Kingdom
Littlehampton
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've looked at this game repeatedly, and it's really really tempting, but am I right in thinking the player interaction is quite low? Or am I missing something?

I love all the art and ideas in the Red Raven Games but generally they all seem to have low player interaction it seems (with the exception of the worker placement type mechanic where you take the space before someone else).

Would that be fair to say or is there a wealth of interaction in their games that I've missed in the reviews?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richlush wrote:
I've looked at this game repeatedly, and it's really really tempting, but am I right in thinking the player interaction is quite low? Or am I missing something?

I love all the art and ideas in the Red Raven Games but generally they all seem to have low player interaction it seems (with the exception of the worker placement type mechanic where you take the space before someone else).

Would that be fair to say or is there a wealth of interaction in their games that I've missed in the reviews?

The player interaction is very low. The game focuses more on the shared player experience rather than interaction. I think it's the type of game Ryan Laukat likes to make.

I wouldn't say it's universal to all his games, though. City of Iron: Second Edition has quite a bit of player interaction. Maybe check that out if you're interested in his games but want more messing with others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the main form of player interaction is that you can put something up for sale, and another player buys it. Of course, another form is that someone can buy a building you wanted before your turn, but that doesn't really count.

Ryan Laukat's most interactive games are the Eight-Minute Empire and ... Legends games, plus the somewhat aggressive worker placement in The Ancient World. Also the recently released Islebound. Never got Empires of the Void, but I guess that too is more interactive than the "storytelling" games (Above and Below, Near and Far).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rich,

Firstly I want to plug this game. It's one of my absolute favourites. However, I think you're right in your suggestion that there isn't masses of interaction. Of course you're competing for villagers, buildings etc but direct interaction is fleeting. The way we play the game is for the person to the left of the current explorer reads the story.

Somehow, it feels like there is more interaction than there is. If you like other Euro-style games where you're pretty much doing your own thing then it won't be a problem. If you really like lots of interaction in all of your games, maybe it isn't for you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Lush
United Kingdom
Littlehampton
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmb
ayejae wrote:
richlush wrote:

The player interaction is very low. The game focuses more on the shared player experience rather than interaction. I think it's the type of game Ryan Laukat likes to make.

I wouldn't say it's universal to all his games, though. City of Iron: Second Edition has quite a bit of player interaction. Maybe check that out if you're interested in his games but want more messing with others.

Thanks that's a really helpful response :-) I'm in the process of researching a new game specifically to play with someone who loves conflict but I also love the Red Raven games design and would love to add one at some point to my collection. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richlush wrote:
ayejae wrote:
richlush wrote:

Thanks that's a really helpful response :-) I'm in the process of researching a new game specifically to play with someone who loves conflict but I also love the Red Raven games design and would love to add one at some point to my collection. :-)

Ok, this isn't it. I second the City of Iron suggestion as a good game that also involves conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
richlush wrote:
ayejae wrote:
richlush wrote:

This is an important distinction. It's the conflict that's low, not the interaction - there's plenty of interaction in reading the stories to each other, but it's not what's usually meant by "interaction" in a board game context.

Of course, that may well still mean that this game isn't the one for you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richlush wrote:
ayejae wrote:
richlush wrote:

As JadedGamer mentioned above, Eight-Minute Empire: Legends is probably the Red Raven Game with the most conflict. I had forgotten about that one. However, that's an entirely different experience than City of Iron. I like BOTH games. However, Eight Minute Empires feels more like a filler, whereas City of Iron is a very deep and meaty game. Also City of Iron features more of Ryan's art. Check both of them out! No reason why you can't have both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Lush
United Kingdom
Littlehampton
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmb
ayejae wrote:
richlush wrote:
ayejae wrote:
richlush wrote:

As JadedGamer mentioned above, Eight-Minute Empire: Legends is probably the Red Raven Game with the most conflict. I had forgotten about that one. However, that's an entirely different experience than City of Iron. I like BOTH games. However, Eight Minute Empires feels more like a filler, whereas City of Iron is a very deep and meaty game. Also City of Iron features more of Ryan's art. Check both of them out! No reason why you can't have both!

Cheers all, I think I will probably pick this one up at another point for my own enjoyment then and look into City of Iron for the immediate! I'm after meat, but might also grab Eight Minute Legend at some point too :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with the others, plenty of interaction with Above and Below, meaning you are all playing together while competing for more-or-less limited resources, but not "direct conflict", so to speak.

Islebound might be worth your time, too. Another Lauket/Red Raven Games production. One can take over towns/ports on a modular map, either with combat or negotiation, including attacking each other's holdings (and sea serpents as allies, who doesn't want that?).

~Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.