Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zak
Canada
Wofville
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished watching band of brothers (again) and wanted to try out a bulge game. With my time constraints, I need something playable that doesn't take an entire day to play, or else it will never see the table. Despite the name, I have heard that FAB Bulge isn't exactly fast, taking some people around 6 hours to play (although this may be "fast" relatively speaking). I'd also like to keep it to at most medium complexity as again I don't have the time to get up and running with an overly complex game. I'd say that No Retreat Russian Front is about the level of complexity and length I'm going for. Something with relatively low down time would be a bonus too.

Anyone have any thoughts about Bitter Woods vs. FAB:Bulge vs. something else as a good introductory bulge game? My impression is that BW is low complexity, but fairly long with more down time, and FAB bulge is short(er), more interactive, but more complex.

Cheers,

Zak

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak to FAB Bulge because it's a block game which I don't play. For the less complex I'd check out either Bitter Woods Designer Edition (Compass) or Ardennes '44 2nd Edition GMT). Whether either would take a full day I would say it's dependent on what kind of player you are. I'm a slow player so I would plan on a day. But as the saying goes, YMMV. I'd say BW probably takes a little bit longer than A44. Other than these I'm not aware of a Bulge game that would only take a couple hours except one of the shorter scenarios from these two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt
United States
Durango
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
friendc wrote:
For the less complex I'd check out either Bitter Woods Designer Edition (Compass) or Ardennes '44 2nd Edition GMT).

I have both of these, but not yet played, because my go to simple Bulge game is Tigers in the Mist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FAB Bulge gets an undeserved bad rap for not being "fast". For a one map Bulge game , you're usually talking regimental level, 1/2 turns per day. All the usual hex and counter suspects at that scale are gonna take a lot longer than FAB Bulge. The system takes a bit of getting used to, but I like it. And since its part of a series if you like it, you can get into FAB Sicily and the upcoming Golan games pretty quick.

Its a bit simplistic, but Tigers in the Mist is a good call. Sure it's OOP, but shouldn't be too hard to find , and should be cheap to boot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak
Canada
Wofville
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great. Thanks for the input guys!

Zak

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I agree Tigers in the Mist is a very good recommendation. I recently bought it but haven't played yet. Cost was reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Spetz

Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The choices are many... https://boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&objec...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.