Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zak
Canada
Wofville
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a cross post from the Bitter Woods forum as I'd like to also get the opinions of people who visit this forum and presumably are fans of the FAB system.

Just finished watching band of brothers (again) and wanted to try out a bulge game. With my time constraints, I need something playable that doesn't take an entire day to play, or else it will never see the table. Despite the name, I have heard that FAB Bulge isn't exactly fast, taking some people around 6 hours to play (although this may be "fast" relatively speaking). I'd also like to keep it to at most medium complexity as again I don't have the time to get up and running with an overly complex game. I'd say that No Retreat Russian Front is about the level of complexity and length I'm going for. Something with relatively low down time would be a bonus too.

Anyone have any thoughts about Bitter Woods vs. FAB:Bulge vs. something else as a good introductory bulge game? My impression is that BW is low complexity, but fairly long with more down time, and FAB bulge is short(er), more interactive, but more complex.

Cheers,

Zak

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gómez Relloso
Spain
Dobro (Los Altos)
Burgos
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Zak,

I have played boith games and I consider Bitter Woods more complex and, above all, much more longer than FAB The Bulge.
Bitter Woods is not a monster game and the complexity of its rules is medium, but being an hex & counter game it includes lots of units, the map is big and turns needs a considerable time to be resolved.
Maybe FAB The Bulge is not as fast as you would want, but you may play the medium scenario in 3-4 hours, and the full campaign in 6 (or maybe a bit more). I could not finish a Bitter Woods game in a full day!

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAB system is absolutely a joy to play, and is the best rules to overhead simulation of operational warfare you are likely to find. I couldn't recommend it more highly.

(And the complexity and play time have been overstated.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Radiation_King wrote:
This is a cross post from the Bitter Woods forum as I'd like to also get the opinions of people who visit this forum and presumably are fans of the FAB system.

Just finished watching band of brothers (again) and wanted to try out a bulge game. With my time constraints, I need something playable that doesn't take an entire day to play, or else it will never see the table. Despite the name, I have heard that FAB Bulge isn't exactly fast, taking some people around 6 hours to play (although this may be "fast" relatively speaking). I'd also like to keep it to at most medium complexity as again I don't have the time to get up and running with an overly complex game. I'd say that No Retreat Russian Front is about the level of complexity and length I'm going for. Something with relatively low down time would be a bonus too.

Anyone have any thoughts about Bitter Woods vs. FAB:Bulge vs. something else as a good introductory bulge game? My impression is that BW is low complexity, but fairly long with more down time, and FAB bulge is short(er), more interactive, but more complex.

Cheers,

Zak

If you can find a copy, the "old" Avalon Hill "Smithsonian Series" Battle of the Bulge game is a very enjoyable short-playing (2-3 hours) Bulge game, which also solos well. Worth tracking down.

There's also a new edition of "Autumn Mist" soon to be released; I forget the publisher. AM was also a good small Bulge game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't find the FAB system very complex. It's got a different set of procedures than a standard hex-and-counter, but it's pretty easy to wrap your head around it, and then you'll rarely need to look anything up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak
Canada
Wofville
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great responses. I was already leaning toward FAB, especially because it's a system that once I learn, will make it easy to get into the other games. I read somewhere that Golan was supposedly the last in the series, but then another more recent thread had the designer talking about future titles, so would probably be worth my time to learn it. That smaller bulge game mentioned also sounds interesting, and I may check it out as well.

Z
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gustavsson
Sweden
Bjästa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Golan'73 is definitely not the last volume in this series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
mitte_70 wrote:
Golan'73 is definitely not the last volume in this series
Can you be more specific?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gustavsson
Sweden
Bjästa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are more FAB volumes in work! That's all I can say right now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
mitte_70 wrote:
There are more FAB volumes in work! That's all I can say right now
This was the answer I had hoped for. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.