Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: How does damage work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco P.
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi there,

i just ordered the board game and tryd out the app but im kinda confused about damage.

I have arkham horror and there you use tokens to track damage / sanity.

In Mansion of Madness 2nd edition, you have damage cards but how exactly do they work. Do you just draw a single card everytime you take damage? so if you take 2 damage from a hit, you just draw 2 cards?

Do you need to draw them faceup or down? and when are they turned?

For me, it sounds way more complicated than having simple life tokens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You draw 1 card for every damage. Unless otherwise stated in the app they are drawn faceup. A lot just say to turn facedown with no effect. The app will tell you draw facedown damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The app will tell you whether to draw them face up or face down. And if it just says 2 damage or 2 horror, then they are face up.

It is a bit more complicated, but the flavor of it really adds to the tension. A wound you sustained when first walking into the house could be more serious than you thought it was and cause additional harm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another rule that is good to remember is that if you take Damage or Horror in excess of your Health, you discard all your facedown Damage and take the Wounded condition card. The same is true for Sanity (you take the Insane card instead).

Faceup damage or horror remains when you do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco P.
Germany
flag msg tools
If you resolve a card and place it facedown, does the damage still count?

like you have 5 damage cards, does it mather if its face up/down or is it allways 5 damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It still counts as damage even if facedown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Olsén
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jlhorner1974 wrote:
Another rule that is good to remember is that if you take Damage or Horror in excess of your Health, you discard all your facedown Damage and take the Wounded condition card. The same is true for Sanity (you take the Insane card instead).

Faceup damage or horror remains when you do this.

Thanks. Totally forgot this during my first playthrough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Ocasio
msg tools
So does the faceup damage/horror cards count towards your remaining stats after becoming wounded/insane? So if I become wounded and have
3 faceup damage card with a health of 8 does that mean I can only suffer 5 damage or do I get all 8 again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RippednBurnin wrote:
So does the faceup damage/horror cards count towards your remaining stats after becoming wounded/insane? So if I become wounded and have
3 faceup damage card with a health of 8 does that mean I can only suffer 5 damage or do I get all 8 again?

Yes, it still counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In short, if the card is face up or face down, it's still a point of damage. It's just that face up cards tend to have a further game effect. Some times you have to randomly draw a face down card, turn it face up and deal with the effect - even if it just goes face down again.

When you play it, it will all make sense. Made enough sense I'd love to see this system expanded into Elder Sign (though, I do think the Grave Consequences expansion does that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.