United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed: Initial Post removed by OP.

travis7 wrote:
Please do not do this any more.

I do not like the idea of games that cannot be played without an app.

Apps go out of date and at some point in the future the technology will not allow the app to be used on it.

Apps go wrong with frightening frequency.

We spend so much time at work trying to fight against the computers going wrong. Win 10 update was a nightmare. Win 10 Anniversary Ed update is presently a nightmare. The last thing I want to do is get this digital madness taking over my fun-time. Board games are board games. Let us leave it that way. Please stop the App/Board Game hybrid.

No.

Next?

p.s. This is just the nerdy version of "please, Mrs Congresswomen, legislate all the things I don't personally like." Your reasons for not liking this are all perfectly valid, for you. However, one should never lose sight of the highly subjective nature of all this.

I work at a desk with a computer all day.
I go home and play videos games.
I write electronic music (granted, in hardware).
I write code in my spare time.
90% of my news comes from the web, all day.

I personally don't need an artificial bifurcation of my day into "work time with computers" and "home time with no screens." You do, and that's fine.. but not everybody else does.

The benefits of this union outweighs the negatives, imho. Procedural remixing of content is amazing, and the narrative immersion the app overs (audio, text, etc) can exceed what could come in the average analog core box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please do not do THIS anymore. If you don't want to play a game with an integrated app then play any of the literally thousands of others that came out this year or the tens of thousands that came out prior. Let the rest of us enjoy what is an absolutely amazing experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Devir
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No one is railroading you. There are plenty of other games that dont use apps...plenty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There will always be board games that have no apps. Just because there are some that are making use of apps doesn't automatically make those app-less games disappear. Just because you don't like the idea of hybrid games doesn't mean they shouldn't exist. If you don't like them, don't play them, and allow the people who do enjoy them to have their fun.

If you're just upset that Mansions of madness in particular now has an app attached to it, then just stick with 1st edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryn Ballard
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for being an exemplar for this baffling position. I give my view on this subject here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1616568/app-makes-great-boa...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mb
Throw your Windows computer in the garbage and your life immediately gets 100% better. Then get yourself set up with a Mac and enjoy happiness. Then try not to ruin said happiness with complaints about apps and boardgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Moody
msg tools
Have these people even tried the apps yet? I feel like they're just being contrarian. Road to legend was glorious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think app assisted boardgames are great and a way for solo players to enjoy games they would like to play, but unable to due to lack of players.
I have a lot of boardgames sitting on a shelf that I have yet to play (ie Fury of Dracula)because nobody wants to take the time to play it or don't have the time to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have preferred this to be an App that supported the game based on the original, much like they did with Descent. They could have put out an expansion for the original game and then offered the App. That way they could sell more copies of the original game. This would also allow them to offer new content for those that own and play the original.

I'm watching the reviews....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can say with 100% certainty that I wouldn't have given this game a second glance if the app hadn't been included.

I really sweated over purchasing the 1st edition ages back, but was turned off by the limited replay ability of the core scenarios, and fiddly Keeper role. This seems to fix both of those concerns, at least in theory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zpeteman wrote:
Throw your Windows computer in the garbage and your life immediately gets 100% better. Then get yourself set up with a Mac and enjoy happiness. Then try not to ruin said happiness with complaints about apps and boardgames.

Or even better, run it on a tablet like it's supposed to be. Who is going to bring a Mac to the table?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mb
We do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Eye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Played it on a laptop plugged on a TV. I had the laptop, others saw the TV who stood behind me on the sideboard. They never really had to look at it, as the narrative part was done by me. Felt a little like GMing but without all the tedious preparation. It worked solo and it worked with a group. I read the flavour, put up the exploration-tokens, hit continue and so forth. Only time we switched places was during the riddles. I'm planning to use the app on my tablet and TV via Apple TV to be able to just hand the tablet to another player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evaldas
Lithuania
Kaunas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They should just make app open source...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exilfranke wrote:
Played it on a laptop plugged on a TV. I had the laptop, others saw the TV who stood behind me on the sideboard. They never really had to look at it, as the narrative part was done by me. Felt a little like GMing but without all the tedious preparation. It worked solo and it worked with a group. I read the flavour, put up the exploration-tokens, hit continue and so forth. Only time we switched places was during the riddles. I'm planning to use the app on my tablet and TV via Apple TV to be able to just hand the tablet to another player.

I didn't even think about that. I should try that. It's too bad Xcom runs in portrait mode, or I'd do that the same thing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
barry Doublet
France
epernay
Other
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If this really bugs you, don't forget that there are already 80000 analogue games you can pick up. If in twenty years, half the new games come with apps, that still leaves 500 new games (out of 1000) a year to choose from. Plus the existing 80000.
Anyway, I wouldn't worry. It will never happen...holographic tables will be commonplace by then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the OP think these are FFG forums...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Exilfranke wrote:

Nice. I wonder how well it will look using chromecast and the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still have 1st edition and plan on keeping it. I foresee a time where I might want to play fully analog - keeper vs. players, but I find the app integration exciting and it opens up lots of possibilities for the game.

Personally, I think they should have created the game as a board game with a choice of using the app, but I accept it. This isn't the dramatic-doom-future-of-board-games some have been vocal about. There's plenty of room for both to develop and exist.

I do fear that one day in the future the app will fade and no longer be supported leaving me nothing but a box of very nice components, but I also fear the end of the world. However, I'll get plenty of play-time in on this game before either of those things happen.
My perspective - it's MUCH easier to get this out, set it up and play it than with the previous version so that's a huge plus in my book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Lamps
msg tools
23 years since I first played Wolfenstein3D and now it's on my phone.

This whole "the app will soon be obsolete" crap is just scaremongering from people who clearly don't remember being excited about getting a maths co-processor installed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trinket wrote:

This whole "the app will soon be obsolete" crap is just scaremongering from people who clearly don't remember being excited about getting a maths co-processor installed!

I too don't worry that much about continuity but in all fairness: you can't compare a beloved and legendary piece of software as Wolfenstein with an app serving a niche community. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Jan Tuijp wrote:
Trinket wrote:

I too don't worry that much about continuity but in all fairness: you can't compare a beloved and legendary piece of software as Wolfenstein with an app serving a niche community. goo

A very nerdy, tech-savvy niche community. If this were an app for fantasy football I might be concerned but not for BGG...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three Headed Monkey wrote:
Exilfranke wrote:

Nice. I wonder how well it will look using chromecast and the app.

I tested it out last night, it worked well. I play my first game like that tomorrow night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Jan Tuijp wrote:
Trinket wrote:

Wolfenstein was made for a niche community. Now it's legendary, sure. But PC gamers were not the norm back then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:

A very nerdy, tech-savvy niche community. If this were an app for fantasy football I might be concerned but not for BGG...

I propose there are far more tech-savvy individuals who take part in fantasy football than play board games, even if the % is much, much lower. But yes, worrying about obsolescence in an app, especially one for PC (going to ignore mac comments), is unnecessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.