Subject: No BS Kickstarter? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Winters
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Subject: No BS Kickstarter
I wanted to make another thread talking about the Kickstarter structure, its so unusual.

First, there is the price difference between the early birds and the regular. Like has been discussed, this is the biggest difference I've seen in a Kickstarter, percentage-wise. They say they want to reward their newsletter subscribers, fine. It would probably have been better include a shipping discount code in the newsletter itself, or cross reference newsletter email addresses with kickstarter pledge email addresses to give the discount, that way not only do you make sure the newsletter subscribers are the ones getting the discount, but also every other backer doesnt see how cheap the game is for some.

Second, I find it a little off putting that they close the early bird slots when an EB backs out. It just lowers your chances of getting the EB pledge if you follow the campaign closely.

Third, theres this bizarre, vague "no stretch goals but we may add stuff to the deluxe edition" wording in the campaign. So you look at the pledge tiers, and you can choose between a deluxe edition that may get better and more expensive by the end of the campaign, or a basic edition. I think MOST people would pick the cheaper deluxe edition with the plan to switch to basic edition by campaign end if the deluxe edition didnt look worth it. That was certainly MY thinking.

Fourth, they then lock down basic pledge! So now theres no more switching tiers, you either get the deluxe version of the game or bust. I would be surprised if this "trap" was their intention from the beginning, but I do feel like I have been duped into getting the deluxe version of the game.

So there's a bunch of tiers and only one real choice. No BS? Hmmm.

All that being said, Im STILL a backer. Game looks great and right up my alley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Buettemeier
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Esst mehr Käsetoast!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you read the latest project update https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ludicreations/crisis/po... ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bookswinters wrote:
Subject: No BS Kickstarter
I wanted to make another thread talking about the Kickstarter structure, its so unusual.

First, there is the price difference between the early birds and the regular. Like has been discussed, this is the biggest difference I've seen in a Kickstarter, percentage-wise. They say they want to reward their newsletter subscribers, fine. It would probably have been better include a shipping discount code in the newsletter itself, or cross reference newsletter email addresses with kickstarter pledge email addresses to give the discount, that way not only do you make sure the newsletter subscribers are the ones getting the discount, but also every other backer doesnt see how cheap the game is for some.

Second, I find it a little off putting that they close the early bird slots when an EB backs out. It just lowers your chances of getting the EB pledge if you follow the campaign closely.

Third, theres this bizarre, vague "no stretch goals but we may add stuff to the deluxe edition" wording in the campaign. So you look at the pledge tiers, and you can choose between a deluxe edition that may get better and more expensive by the end of the campaign, or a basic edition. I think MOST people would pick the cheaper deluxe edition with the plan to switch to basic edition by campaign end if the deluxe edition didnt look worth it. That was certainly MY thinking.

Fourth, they then lock down basic pledge! So now theres no more switching tiers, you either get the deluxe version of the game or bust. I would be surprised if this "trap" was their intention from the beginning, but I do feel like I have been duped into getting the deluxe version of the game.

So there's a bunch of tiers and only one real choice. No BS? Hmmm.

All that being said, Im STILL a backer. Game looks great and right up my alley.

I feel like LudiCreations has been pretty up-front and transparent with their reasons as to why they're doing what they're doing. Other campaigns would have started with a lesser game, then worked up to better components and stuff through stretch goals.

I know early bird antics upset a lot of people, but there's still good reasons why campaigns want to reward early backers. Many times people just Star a campaign and wait until the end to pledge -- that can be difficult for a campaign. Closing off the early birds is just enforcing it, no?

They closed off the basic edition because they wanted to be certain of the copies to make and begin production ASAP. Uncertainty is the biggest enemy to a business. If people were trying to "game" the system as you say, well, kind of their fault, right?

The campaign is certainly different, but there's not really a "right" way to do things. I don't feel bad for backing this game at all and looking forward to getting it in a measly 4 months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Winters
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I disagree that they are being up front. They are better than most kickstarters about providing explanations after the fact.

They were somewhat vague about whether or not anything would be added to the deluxe edition, but were relatively clear that the price of the deluxe edition would increase (they certainly could have waited to make that more expensive tier once they had decided whether or not anything wpuld actually be added). I dont consider locking in an earlier, discounted deluxe edition "gaming" the system when no one is sure what the final delixe will contain.

Why not announce they are closing the basic tier 24-48 hours before they close it? What is the reason not to do so? To get exact production numbers 24-48 hours faster?

I guess the question is what is more kickstarter BS? Inflating the price up front and then revealing the game over time, or suggesting if you pledge basic now, it will cost you later if we add something you want.

Here's a no BS Kickstarter: This is the game. Nothing will be added to it. It costs this much. We will wait till the end of the kickstarter see how many copies we will order, because we need the money from the kickstarter to place our order.

Once again I do not want to hint that I am speaking badly about the game, I cant wait to get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Well, the fact that it has early bird pledges is part of the BS that surrounds Kickstarter, so I'm not entirely sure anyone could refer to this campaign as "no BS" with a straight face.

Although I do like the little logo that suggests that no reviewer was paid for their review. Interesting, I wonder why Undead Viking hasn't looked at this game . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Winters
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Exactly. You want to see a no bs kickstarter? Look at akua, going on now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Silberman
United States
Portola Valley
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect Undead Viking is busy with his day job for TMG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.