Tyrants of the Underdark» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about Total Control rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Kalchik
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hey all, quick question about the wording on Total Control.

"You have total control of a site if all its troop spaces are filled only with your troops and no enemy spies are present."

Most of our group is reading this as say for Menzoberranzan, I would need all six spaces filled with my troops, plus no enemy spies at that location to totally control it. However, a couple people have brought up that it's slightly ambiguous with the 'all its troop spaces are filled ONLY with your troops' so if I had four of the spaces filled with my troops and the other two were empty, I would be totally controlling because all the filled spaces have only my troops.

I checked the FAQ but it just repeats exactly whats in the rule book so I figured I'd get some crowd sourced thoughts on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
It doesn't say "all the filled spaces are filled only with your troops", it says "all the troop spaces". The "only" is redundant but it doesn't change anything, to have total control of an area, every space in it must contain one of your troops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
It doesn't say "all the filled spaces are filled only with your troops", it says "all the troop spaces". The "only" is redundant but it doesn't change anything, to have total control of an area, every space in it must contain one of your troops.

+1, also check the quick reference printed on the back cover of the rulebook, which rephrases the sentence in question a bit:

"...if ALL the site's troops spaces are filled only with your troops"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lee
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely every space in the site filled (and no spy), not just only your troops.

Design reason? Without this rule, there isn't a big reason to continue to deploy to an uncontested & unthreatened site, especially near the end of the game.

#WotcStaff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Kalchik
United States
California
flag msg tools
Peter Lee wrote:
It's definitely every space in the site filled (and no spy), not just only your troops.

Design reason? Without this rule, there isn't a big reason to continue to deploy to an uncontested & unthreatened site, especially near the end of the game.

#WotcStaff

Perfect, thank you very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter Lee wrote:

#WotcStaff

Makes perfect sense to me. Even with that rule, most of the time I just put a single troop (or enough to beat the white troops for control) in a spot then use my deployments to fill up adjacent lanes so that opponents can't come threaten my gains instead of going for total control. Total control for me is more of an end game thing, when you run out of places to expand into, except maybe for those site markers (continuous VPs each turn is hard to pass up... OTOH taking over those spots just means you're definitely getting the next spy ).

If you could just have total control by having 1 troop in a spot while there are no white troops or opposing troops around, you would never ever stop to fill up locations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.