$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
31.8% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » General

Subject: Replayability with same game set - TIME Stories or Pandemic Legacy like? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dedicated To Fun
msg tools
After you play this game, can you put the cards back in order like TIME Stories and play the exact same game with a new group? Or is it like Pandemic Legacy where you have torn up cards and put stickers all over the board making it impossible to play again from scratch again?
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
DedicatedToFun wrote:
After you play this game, can you put the cards back in order like TIME Stories and play the exact same game with a new group? Or is it like Pandemic Legacy where you have torn up cards and put stickers all over the board making it impossible to play again from scratch again?
Thanks!

You write on cards, destroy cards, read entries out of the book, use stickers, open boxes, just like Pandemic Legacy and Risk Legacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Haag
United States
Hamburg
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You will be marking up cards with pens and stickers at the very least. Also, the retired advisor cards get destroyed after all upgrades are used from them, so no, you can't reset the game back to the beginning once you start.

That said, Mr. Daviau has stated a few time that the game will remain playable after the campaign ends, similar to the way that at the end of Risk Legacy you were left with your own custom Risk game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With a sufficiently heroic effort, my guess is that you could make the game reusable, but doing so would be painful and possibly expensive. It would likely require a considerable effort at the end of each game to record the game state, and a considerably more involved setup, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
For best experience, perform all legacy tasks as instructed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain W.
Germany
flag msg tools
Having played both Risk Legacy and Pandemic Legacy (currently in October) I would definitely propose to play it the way it is designed and simply enjoy it.

I know that "destroying" the game and making it a one-shoot is an argument. But we have played both games on a very regular basis all 2 or 3 weeks one evening - and each took us roughly a year to play. As a result I would assume that there are really few games I played that often (even as I thought before I played them endless times *g*).

So, simply play and enjoy the feeling of creating your unique game!
As for the money: calculate it as around 1$ a evening per person (cheaper than beer and food consumed while playing).
If you are still hungry after ~18 games: go and buy a second copy :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Don't feel forced to take part in the planned obsolescence of board games, whether it is an exciting new genre or a way for the boardgame companies to keep getting money off people is debatable (maybe it's both?).

The choice of play is yours, if you never want to rebuy the game but want to play it in the future, then take your time and remove the legacy aspects, turning stickers into tokens, transparent sheet stickers cut over labels you write on then use dry erase markers, notepads etc.

I'll be removing the legacy from it myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Koverath wrote:
Don't feel forced to take part in the planned obsolescence of board games, whether it is an exciting new genre or a way for the boardgame companies to keep getting money off people is debatable (maybe it's both?).

I understand that some people don't like the idea of legacy games and that's fair enough. But can we please drop this particular myth? Labelling it a cash-grab feels insulting to those involved with the game, especially when it's so clearly untrue (most people won't buy multiple copies; it takes much longer to design/playtest vs. a regular game; the idea is being driven by designers rather than board game companies).

To the point at hand - this is a game in the Pandemic: Legacy style. If that doesn't appeal to you, it's likely that people will publish guides to making the game replayable on this forum over the next few months. Waiting for those will help you make sure you're covered for any secret componenents with reduced exposure to spoilers, as well as minimising the additional costs involved in modifying your copy. It'll still be a *lot* of extra work, both before and during the game though.

(You could also just buy a different game that's designed from the ground up to be a replayable campaign instead - that will probably produce better results if that's what you're after ).

Note: as with Pandemic: Legacy this game will last one group around 15 plays to get through all the content, unlike Time Stories which can only really be played once by any given player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bilal Muaqat
Scotland
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
I agree with you Robert. I haven't played Pandemic: Legacy (not the biggest Pandemic fan) but thoroughly enjoyed Risk: Legacy.

If one thinks of the amount of time you get out of any given board game... 30+ hours for Seafall(approximately 15 games of 2+ hours) is an ample amount of time - not to mention set to be a great experience.

I can't think of many games that have seen that much play time - TI3, Codenames, Dominion, Game of Thrones, Risk in all its forms, Descent, Lords of Vegas, Fire in the Lake and Panzer.

I, too, get why folks may be dubious but I certainly do not see it as a cash grab. If you like the theme then play something like Merchants and Marauders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a lot of non-legacy games I've played less than 15 times. If I get 15+ games (30+ hours) out of it for $16-20 (my share of the cost, splitting it 4-5 ways), that seems like a not unreasonable investment.

I can absolutely understand the visceral distaste of deliberately "defacing" a game. But this game is designed to be used that way. Trying to change it seems counterproductive ... but hey, its your game, so if you want to non-legacy it, more power to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Massey
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koverath wrote:

The choice of play is yours, if you never want to rebuy the game but want to play it in the future, then take your time and remove the legacy aspects, turning stickers into tokens, transparent sheet stickers cut over labels you write on then use dry erase markers, notepads etc.

Do yourself a favor. Don't buy the game..
It would be like me buying Catan and saying

"this doesn't have enough conflict in it ...I'll change it !

As said above.. plenty of other games available to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Koverath wrote:

Planned obsolescence? At the end you get a board that you can still play on, like with Risk: Legacy.

I'll admit that it was one of my gripes with Pandemic: Legacy, but there is no obsolescence here. Removing the legacy from it is literally removing the game. And while I can't stop you from doing so, I do feel you'd be wasting your time better spent on playing games that actually cater to your interests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
Given Pandemic Legacy's ascent on the rankings and popularity, I have difficulty understanding why people think it is still debatable whether it is an 'exciting new genre' or a 'way for companies to keep getting money off people'.

Lets be clear - Hasbro can spend a few weeks on a Monopoly edition with minimal effort or playtesting and release thousands of units to stores and sell them, easily making a big profit.

On the other hand, Seafall took years, the total hours of effort put in by designers, producers, playtesters etc to get it over the line is very likely to be substantially the most for any game ever (if only they measured such things!). It's likely to have been one of the most expensive games, in that sense, to ever produce. If measured in that way, it may well never break even. It's a labour of love.

In addition to that, Pandemic Legacy is ranked number one for a reason - it's because so many different people considered the experience of playing so good. It clearly is an 'exciting new genre' for an awful lot of people. If any particular person isn't excited by it, that's fine, but it doesn't negate that it does excite a lot of people.

I really think the debate on that one should be considered over. Some people will never like legacy games and that's fine, but if the only reason you don't like it is because you think it's a cash cow, it's worth revisiting that opinion.

For those new to legacy games, I will say that I think you will find the game much less fun if you don't play it as intended. There are other publishes who create 'campaign-style' games where you can get the benefit of the game changing over time but without the permanence a legacy game brings. Both have their pros and cons, for me, and I think everyone should give Legacy a go before judging it (unless you absolutely know you can't get past it). But, I don't think Seafall is going to be worth your investment if you try to avoid the legacy system. It was designed specifically for that to be a central feature of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do people who buy adventure modules for RPGs (not technically a "legacy" product) expect to be able to run them over and over again (other than a few GMs who run modules repeatedly at conventions, of course)? It might help to think of SeaFall along similar lines; the legacy aspects of the game are somewhat RP-ish in some respects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.