13 Posts

The Walking Dead: No Sanctuary» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone Have Reports from Gencon? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Dacula
Georgia
msg tools
Would love to hear what people are saying about the game. I know it's a year out, but I am hoping to hear that it is generating some excitement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dekan Wheeler
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
GTRock wrote:
Would love to hear what people are saying about the game. I know it's a year out, but I am hoping to hear that it is generating some excitement.

Us too! We had some great plays at our booth at GenCon. Hopefully reports will trickle in soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, the only report I saw was in the KS comments by Ryan Boylan:

"Ryan Boylan Superbacker 3 days ago
I understand the game will be better with components and I'm still excited to get my hands on it, but it just seemed... blah. I mean I like the series as much as anyone, but it just didn't seem too fun.
Maybe my demonstrator was newish as it was 5:00 on day one, but basically here's how it went. I was Rick and was leader. I played a yellow card and someone in my group played a red and apparently that was a huge moment as now there was some distrust. Oookk?
Anyway, the board was just a simple and boring forest setting with a building and maybe a camper that were both difficult to see. There was a grid overlay. Basically some walkers showed up and we needed to get to a building. The combat was clunky and not exciting.
Again, I am totally not trying to troll this game. I stuck with them through the whole resetting base pledge and goals etc. I really want this game to be great. However in all honesty, this game ranked least fun overall at Gen Con for my group. And by the way, I'm a hard core gamer, a friend is a pretty serious gamer, and the other two like the occasional game. No one liked it at all.
We'll see. Here's hoping!

Dave 3 days ago
@ryan that's interesting. Were you expecting it to be more combat oriented? If that's the case I can see why you'd be disappointed. My question is, did the cards that were played, red yellow and green, really feel like they changed the direction of how the game was played or were there mechanics involved that allowed you to work around the cards. So that you could still meet your objectives pretty easily regardless?

Ryan Boylan Superbacker 3 days ago
Tbh I'm not sure what I was expecting. I didn't read the rules, and I only skimmed the updates throughout the campaign as they seemed focused on character back stories. I'll dive into them again when the gane is in hand. I love story-driven cooperative games, so I'm hoping this is that, but the playthrough I experienced seemed more like a learning/tutorial mode (which maybe it was.) I just had no clue why we were doing what we were doing, and there was no sense of dread, companionship, trust, distrust, goals, etc... just moving pieces on a grid and passing.
As far as the cards, it didn't seem to change things at all, except for the fact that it didn't match colors.
Again, reserving judgment but sharing my very concerns based on a VERY limited time with the game. I hope we just had a poor experience for a great game."

I'm really hopeful that this is just a case of the tutorial scenarios being dull, or a weak demonstrator. I personally see a lot of good in the design but have expressed my concern over the tiles in another thread. The designers reassured me that in later scenarios, they become more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Miguel
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Cryptozoic responded:

Something to note about the GenCon scenario is that it is the tutorial scenario from the game, great for learning, not fantastic for those nail biting moments. As you play other scenarios in the game two things will happen.
1) You will feel the story unfurl, especially if you are a Walking Dead fan, Hitting the same points as seen in the show will absolutely feel appropriate. It also becomes interesting as your story is bent as you use characters that wouldn't have been part of that scene - creating your own new narrative.
2) In later scenarios YOU WILL LOSE. Especially once you realize that the Sadler's are playing with Co-op gaming itself as a mechanic. Yeah playing a defiant card seems simple, but when you realize that your lost because of the accumulated stress from jut a couple of defiant actions it will force you and your team to re-think how they play the game together.

I have play tested the game, and I can tell you that yes, the tutorial isn't exactly edge of your seat exciting, but the rest of them...hot damn. It's stressful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YetiHandler wrote:
Cryptozoic responded:

Something to note about the GenCon scenario is that it is the tutorial scenario from the game, great for learning, not fantastic for those nail biting moments. As you play other scenarios in the game two things will happen.
1) You will feel the story unfurl, especially if you are a Walking Dead fan, Hitting the same points as seen in the show will absolutely feel appropriate. It also becomes interesting as your story is bent as you use characters that wouldn't have been part of that scene - creating your own new narrative.
2) In later scenarios YOU WILL LOSE. Especially once you realize that the Sadler's are playing with Co-op gaming itself as a mechanic. Yeah playing a defiant card seems simple, but when you realize that your lost because of the accumulated stress from jut a couple of defiant actions it will force you and your team to re-think how they play the game together.

I have play tested the game, and I can tell you that yes, the tutorial isn't exactly edge of your seat exciting, but the rest of them...hot damn. It's stressful.

No disrespect, but it's more interesting to me to hear a review from someone not linked to the project (company or playtester). That's why I didn't include the response.

Keep in mind, I pledged and am looking forward to it. But it's good to read these kind of thoughts too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, use a shitty scenario as the demo, then complain 'it was the scenario!'.

Seems stupid as hell to 'sell' the game via demo at a major convention by using a scenario you know to be weak and not representative of the game.

If they were that stupid, they deserve the bad press for being so. Of course, the alternative is the guy who wrote the unfavorable review may have a point that holds up regardless of scenario...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Sadler
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jakecarol wrote:
So, use a shitty scenario as the demo, then complain 'it was the scenario!'.

Seems stupid as hell to 'sell' the game via demo at a major convention by using a scenario you know to be weak and not representative of the game.

If they were that stupid, they deserve the bad press for being so. Of course, the alternative is the guy who wrote the unfavorable review may have a point that holds up regardless of scenario...

While I'm hesitant to reply to this, as I'm sure my bias as the designer will draw suspicion on anything I say, I find it beneficial to point out a couple things:

In my opinion, the introduction scenario is not a "shitty" scenario, and I wouldn't blame that scenario on anyone's poor experience with the game. I really enjoy the first scenario, and the majority of our playtesters have praised it as an entry point; thus it's inclusion in the final game.

Each tutorial scenario adds additional levels of complexity, and we found it in the best interest of the people demoing to get the very baseline introduction to the game, as time is very limited at the demo table.

I personally ran several groups through the tutorial, and there was some very clear enjoyment around the table. I wasn't there all day, but the short time I was there in the morning was a very positive experience.

It's unfortunate to hear that this person did not have a pleasant experience with the game, but maybe they would enjoy the later scenarios that introduce more and more complexity and tension.

Everyone will have their own preferences with games, but I was very pleased with the overall reception, and I think the video previews that already exist that cover this same scenario hopefully reinforce that this is not a "shitty" scenario.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
Unfortunately, the only report I saw was in the KS comments by Ryan Boylan:

"Ryan Boylan Superbacker 3 days ago
I understand the game will be better with components and I'm still excited to get my hands on it, but it just seemed... blah. I mean I like the series as much as anyone, but it just didn't seem too fun.
Maybe my demonstrator was newish as it was 5:00 on day one, but basically here's how it went. I was Rick and was leader. I played a yellow card and someone in my group played a red and apparently that was a huge moment as now there was some distrust. Oookk?
Anyway, the board was just a simple and boring forest setting with a building and maybe a camper that were both difficult to see. There was a grid overlay. Basically some walkers showed up and we needed to get to a building. The combat was clunky and not exciting.
Again, I am totally not trying to troll this game. I stuck with them through the whole resetting base pledge and goals etc. I really want this game to be great. However in all honesty, this game ranked least fun overall at Gen Con for my group. And by the way, I'm a hard core gamer, a friend is a pretty serious gamer, and the other two like the occasional game. No one liked it at all.
We'll see. Here's hoping!

Dave 3 days ago
@ryan that's interesting. Were you expecting it to be more combat oriented? If that's the case I can see why you'd be disappointed. My question is, did the cards that were played, red yellow and green, really feel like they changed the direction of how the game was played or were there mechanics involved that allowed you to work around the cards. So that you could still meet your objectives pretty easily regardless?

Ryan Boylan Superbacker 3 days ago
Tbh I'm not sure what I was expecting. I didn't read the rules, and I only skimmed the updates throughout the campaign as they seemed focused on character back stories. I'll dive into them again when the gane is in hand. I love story-driven cooperative games, so I'm hoping this is that, but the playthrough I experienced seemed more like a learning/tutorial mode (which maybe it was.) I just had no clue why we were doing what we were doing, and there was no sense of dread, companionship, trust, distrust, goals, etc... just moving pieces on a grid and passing.
As far as the cards, it didn't seem to change things at all, except for the fact that it didn't match colors.
Again, reserving judgment but sharing my very concerns based on a VERY limited time with the game. I hope we just had a poor experience for a great game."

I'm really hopeful that this is just a case of the tutorial scenarios being dull, or a weak demonstrator. I personally see a lot of good in the design but have expressed my concern over the tiles in another thread. The designers reassured me that in later scenarios, they become more interesting.

I feared exactly something like this. I love Walking Dead, but if this cannot get even close to Dead of Winter in thematic feel, then license is wasted.

Here's hoping someone will allow Walking Dead license for a set of Dead of Winter characters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Seidler
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I hope this game will not be as boring as DoW. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:

No disrespect, but it's more interesting to me to hear a review from someone not linked to the project (company or playtester). That's why I didn't include the response.

Keep in mind, I pledged and am looking forward to it. But it's good to read these kind of thoughts too.

At this point the Kickstarter ended a month ago. I like to hear from people that have actually played the game a fair amount of times and have been able to get an understanding of the mechanics, the game, and the feel of the game. Since the Kickstarter is just barely over, no one except company playtesters have been able to get that understanding yet. Because of this it is valid to hear from a company playtester and see what their thoughts are, compared to some guy that played 1 demo and sounds like they weren't even fully paying attention to what the Kickstarter or the game was about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rccoll wrote:
Logus Vile wrote:

At this point the Kickstarter ended a month ago. I like to hear from people that have actually played the game a fair amount of times and have been able to get an understanding of the mechanics, the game, and the feel of the game. Since the Kickstarter is just barely over, no one except company playtesters have been able to get that understanding yet. Because of this it is valid to hear from a company playtester and see what their thoughts are, compared to some guy that played 1 demo and sounds like they weren't even fully paying attention to what the Kickstarter or the game was about.

Fair enough, but neither are great indicators. The playtesters and company are biased though whereas the person in question went in with an open mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisback79 wrote:

I think DOW is pretty good actually
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Seidler
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barbarianprince wrote:
Chrisback79 wrote:

I think DOW is pretty good actually

For me it felt too shallow and if I want a game with a traitor mechanic there are many much better games for this purpose.

But hey, that's the way tastes differ, isn't it? :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.