Subject: Shame about the box... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
AG Palmer
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
Honestly, I feel like this game would have rocketed all the way to Patchwork levels of 2p game popularity if not solely for the box. This is pure suicide-by-presentation.

Seriously, check out the back. You know, where you look to see what the game's all about.
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/1783745/longhorn

A single image of the game lined up with OCD perfection, and then just text vomit, everywhere. If you manage to find your language somewhere in there, it's two sentences. The first one says "you're outlaws in Texas" and the other says "the aim of the game is simple: to steal cattle".

This tells me quite literally nothing I couldn't have guessed from the boxart. They presented a small game that excels at tight mechanics and strategy... and marketed it solely through the theme. Which it barely has any of.

If the back had thrown in some zeal and promoted "classic mancala mechanics!", a "board that's never the same twice!" and "a tense duel of wits where you'll always need to think three steps ahead!", this game would be a total rockstar by now. It would dominate Top 2P Games lists everywhere.

As it is, I found it in my FLGS' annual clearance, which they reserve for only their absolute worst sellers. And I was blown away!

It really is a shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Weaver
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game, but I hate the box for a different reason: the size. This should be in a Kosmos 2p sized box. There's not enough room in the box for the components and the box size forced the rule book to be almost unreadably small. It sits segregated from the other 2p games, so I rarely think about playing it when we're looking for a light 2p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandan Parsons
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
I hear what you're (both) saying. The thing is Longhorn is technically a European import, so it has to accommodate more than American preferences. And we are company focused on toy stores (not hobby), so bringing the game over in the first place was a difficult decision (let alone improving on the European box design).

I'm sorry we dissappointed, but I'm glad you enjoy the game (it's one of my personal favorites). I will relay your concerns on to the powers that be, and hopefully we will deliver a more appealing package in the future!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AG Palmer
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
Brandaniel wrote:
I hear what you're (both) saying. The thing is Longhorn is technically a European import, so it has to accommodate more than American preferences. And we are company focused on toy stores (not hobby), so bringing the game over in the first place was a difficult decision (let alone improving on the European box design).

I'm sorry we dissappointed, but I'm glad you enjoy the game (it's one of my personal favorites). I will relay your concerns on to the powers that be, and hopefully we will deliver a more appealing package in the future!

Thanks for the response. I hadn't considered that people might prefer different box styles in other parts of the world, that's actually very interesting to think about. When I run it over in my head again, I suppose my exclamation-riddled example pitch is quite stereotypically American!

If the box ever is redesigned, I'll know who to thank! I'd gladly repurchase, since even though the sales pitch doesn't affect me now, Mason's right - a less cramped size could let me bag the components, which I'd love.

Regardless, I am glad it made its way over here Great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.