Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't usually review games because there are so many people out there who are better at it than I am... but there are also very very few people here who actually own and play this game. And since it's really really expensive, it might be nice to know what you're getting into before you drop a parcel of money.

So here it is-

This is a kid's game. I had it when I was 8 and my brother was 6 (Christmas gift from Santa) therefore I have some really nice memories of the two of us playing with gleaming jewels and a lovely spooky voice directing us to "go up one level" and other things. So there's a huge nostalgia factor in it for me which makes it worth a big price tag but I don't know that without that, it would be worth it.

I just got a new-to-me copy from Ebay (I don't know where mine went- Mom's yard sale probably) and it's in excellent shape. The cardboard standees and jewel holders were preserved by being flattened and then placed back into place on their cardboard sheets, ALL the plastic gems are intact and the record player works- even the die is still with the game. It's got a cool styrofoam 3D game board and the printing on the decals is still fresh and nice. To me, it looks fantastic.

My daughter, who is not a gamer much but knows a good bit since she watches me play (I try to get her to play with me but mostly she won't), does not think so. She's used to the really nice glass gems we got for Splendor and the beautiful boards and pieces from my newer games and she was highly disappointed in the really rather comparitively cheap plastic gems and the styrofoam board. She conceeded that the record player was pretty cool- for it's time- but was less than impressed with the rest of it. *I have to note that her opinion was requested- before that she was trying hard to enthuse with me*

So without the fine patina of nostalgia, it's a very simple roll and move collection game. It's almost entirely based on luck. It has some interesting gimicks- the record player, the nice egyptian theme with pretty fair hieroglyphics and a three dimensional board- but without those it would be dead boring.

But I like it anyway. It's not a 'thinking' game... but sometimes that's a good thing. I also like that the standees may only be printed on one side... but two of them are women and two are men. And I'm happy to have it back in my collection even if it does say "Ages 7-14" and rarely hits the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.