Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M D
United States
Peotone
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anyone else a bit upset that just about everyone is on the Avengers team? They introduce a new team the new warriors and only have one character on that team? Shouldn't some of these characters be on different teams like the Marvel Knights? Or am I being way off base here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Forsyth
Il
flag msg tools
mbmb
I do think there should have been at least a Young Avengers team (like X-Force).
This also could have been a good time to add second affiliations. Like an S to show Secret Avengers and a Y to show Young Avengers, while keeping them Avengers. I don't really have a problem with only one New Warrior given the plot of the story.

*EDIT* It's also nice to have Avenger versions of Spider-Man and "Daredevil".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since they added ALL young avengers I would have expected Young Avengers to show up as a full fledged team...because, unlike Marvel Knights, they actually are a team! At least introduce them, as Ryan says, as a variation to the Avengers. Same for Secret Avengers, but without Mighty Avengers I can see why they decided to skip that part. But i'll never understand the decision NOT TO add Young Avengers, especially because...

they added a freakin' New Warriors affiliation for freakin' Speedball! And Namorita who shows up on 5 cards! I would have been perfectly fine with this, had they also given us a Young Avengers team...

I'm really baffled by some of the decisions taken in regard with this set.

Don't get me wrong, I love it, from the few bits that I've seen. I already consider it my favorite expansion (which makes sense, considering that each expansion lately has been a step up mechanically).

Nonetheless, some of the decisions are really-really odd. Aunt May on Peter Parker's divided card and not Iron Spider?

I'm not the biggest fan of Divided cards, but I do not have a problem with them as others do. However, wouldn't it have been great if they had given us both Mighty Avengers and Secret Avengers and Tigra's card would have been divided between Mighty and Secret?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Forsyth
Il
flag msg tools
mbmb
i do love Aunt May showing up randomly to fight Galactus robbing Midtown Bank. But I have to agree on my surprise of no Iron Spider (name or even art) on his cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Archer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm actually a big fan of the Divided cards. I really hope this isn't the last we see of them.

Secret Avengers as a team would have been cool, but I'm okay with not seeing that, since we finally have Spider-Man and Daredevil (sort of) as Avengers. However, I do think it was a lost opportunity to not have a team name and icon for Young Avengers. I love having them in the set, but I feel they need a little more recognition than this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Forsyth
Il
flag msg tools
mbmb
I haven't seen the divided cards in person, so I don't know if the text will be too small. But so far, I love them too. I even have a great idea for a custom hero who uses divided cards. Just gotta learn to balance that set...haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TyrellArcher wrote:
I'm actually a big fan of the Divided cards. I really hope this isn't the last we see of them.

I'm 180-degrees out from you on this one. I do not like them.

redlion64 wrote:
I haven't seen the divided cards in person, so I don't know if the text will be too small.

Trust me. You'll need a reading assistance device. They went with the smallest font possible that would still qualify as letters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Forsyth
Il
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gosh I hope not, I'm the only one in my family who doesn't need glasses haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Vinyl
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
The Young Avengers was definitely a blown opportunity.

The New Warriors doesn't bother me as much. Spider-Man was the lone Spider-Friend for years! And we may get Slapstick in the Deadpool expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Forsyth
Il
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm a little torn with Lockheed, seeing as he belongs to an X-Man, but it's the Pet Avengers! But hey, if they introduced dual Affiliations, he could have been both Avengers and X-Men.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McKeehan
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm okay with the Young Avengers just being Avengers since theoretically they would eventually grow up and be Avengers.

While Lockheed might be with the X-men (though we don't have a normal Kitty Pride), he's not the only Pet Avenger whose human has no real affiliation with the Avengers (Lockjaw, Ms Lion, Hairball, and possibly Zabu).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Vinyl
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
jodokast4 wrote:
I'm okay with the Young Avengers just being Avengers since theoretically they would eventually grow up and be Avengers.

They were introduced 11 years ago. Still haven't become Avengers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Fresh wrote:
jodokast4 wrote:

well.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikeevoy wrote:
Is anyone else a bit upset that just about everyone is on the Avengers team?

Honestly, no. I've been wanting a big box of Avengers for the longest time, so I'm cool with it being almost all Avengers. For me the only disappointment is that, with a few exceptions, these are not the Avengers I was looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see the bright side, the only major Avengers that have to be added are Wasp, Scarlet Witch, Ant-Man, She-Hulk and Quicksilver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
Let's see the bright side, the only major Avengers that have to be added are Wasp, Scarlet Witch, Ant-Man, She-Hulk and Quicksilver.

Triathlon takes offense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Puderbaugh
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:
TyrellArcher wrote:

I'm 180-degrees out from you on this one. I do not like them.

redlion64 wrote:
I haven't seen the divided cards in person, so I don't know if the text will be too small.

Trust me. You'll need a reading assistance device. They went with the smallest font possible that would still qualify as letters.

Since I'll get my copy this week, I don't have much to say on divided cards. From what I've seen, I don't imagine I'll care for the small font.

Regardless, judging by past history, they will go the way of Versatile, Artifacts, Shards, Focus, X-Treme Attack, Dodge, Thrown Artifacts, etc. etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sanner
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I talked to the team during gencon. My recollection/understanding of the conversation is that Devin Low was concerned about the large and growing amount of content in the game, the growing number of teams, and the shrinking amount of interactions between cards. It is getting difficult for old cards to work well with new cards that have new team affiliations. So to try and fix that problem, many characters were forced into the Avengers affiliation that maybe should have gone else where. One of the designers pushed for the new warriors affiliation because it made sense to the civil war story. And they are hopeful to make more new warriors in the future. I imagine it's hard to keep multiple groups of fans happy. Those that want better card interactions, correct team affiliations, and the "correct" team affiliation for their favorite version/story of a character. In the end, I do feel like Upper Deck is trying to make the best game they can make with the restrictions handed down to them from Marvel. There is much more going on in the background that we are able to know. Hopefully we as fans of the game can keep that in mind when new sets come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sanner
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also from the team at gencon. The divided cards went through several versions of the card frame. The process was taking a long time to get right. Any more changes would have caused major delays. Then people would have been complaining about the delay. So they took the existing frame, shrunk everything and put two cards side-by-side. They are aware the font is small. But they tried to do something new and different with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ewsanner wrote:
Also from the team at gencon. The divided cards went through several versions of the card frame. The process was taking a long time to get right.

They still didn't get it right/good IMO, especially (specifically) the font. If they couldn't get it right and we're worried about delays, they should've just dropped. But that's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sanner
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree the font is very small. But it could have been too late to drop the cards and design new ones. But that's purely speculation on my part.

Not completely defending UD or going against them. Just providing the info I have for what it's worth. I don't even begin to understand the process of licensing, designing a game and dealing with Marvel. Just pointing out it is easy to find fault in anything and think it could be done better without understanding the entire process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Dynamo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Fresh wrote:
jodokast4 wrote:

Actually, while still being referenced as the Young Avengers, Kate Bishop, Hulkling, Speed and Wiccan were officially recognized as Avengers, when they started the Marvel Now age, and as stated above, Wiccan and Hulkling are actually part of Sunspot's New Avengers team now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.