Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Which One Night game should I buy: Daybreak or Vampire? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff J
msg tools
I just bought the original and I love it. I'd like to add some variety, so I'm not sure which would be the better buy. I like the new roles in Daybreak, but Vampire looks fun, too. I know if I get Daybreak, I can immediately mix and match roles. And I know that Vampire has variety on its own.

My concern about it is: how easy/fun is it to mix Vampire with Werewolf?

I saw there is a mention of Villager vs Werewolf vs Vampire method. Does this work in all practicality?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Pasmeny
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daybreak. Variety with out confusion. Imho

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I allowed to say neither?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff J
msg tools
pfctsqr wrote:

Sure, but only if you add your reasoning or maybe an alternative. I'm looking to buy one for the variety. The base game is fun, but I'd still like more variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff J
msg tools
bpasmeny wrote:
Daybreak. Variety with out confusion. Imho

This is where I'm leaning. Although I'm wondering if Vampire on its own might suffice as a change of pace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Deep Space D-6
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
One Night Ultimate Alien

beziergames.com/products/one-night-ultimate-alien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
One Night Ultimate Werewolf Daybreak and One Night Ultimate Werewolf. You need Robber and Troublemaker to make the game ONUWW.

Vampire doesn't add anything that would make up for the added fiddlyness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hatch
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jekface wrote:
I just bought the original and I love it. I'd like to add some variety, so I'm not sure which would be the better buy. I like the new roles in Daybreak, but Vampire looks fun, too. I know if I get Daybreak, I can immediately mix and match roles. And I know that Vampire has variety on its own.

My concern about it is: how easy/fun is it to mix Vampire with Werewolf?

I saw there is a mention of Villager vs Werewolf vs Vampire method. Does this work in all practicality?

I can't speak to how fun they are, since I've only played the original... but Vampire integrates almost as easily as Daybreak. The rules give clear information on how to go about it, and the only reason I say "almost" is that there are more new rules and interactions to learn in Vampire.

Depending on what you're looking for, that could be either an advantage or a disadvantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jekface wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

Sure, but only if you add your reasoning or maybe an alternative. I'm looking to buy one for the variety. The base game is fun, but I'd still like more variety.

I honestly prefer One Night Revolution to ONUW. It solves a few problems for me, notably:

1. Fewer roles that are just random shuffling of the game state

2. No more worrying about if people are hearing you lean over to mess with stuff - they know you are because it's that player's turn instead of that role's turn.

That being said, I know I'm in the minority. I haven't played One Night Ultimate Vampire, but it looks confusing, like the other poster said. I think if you're looking for the same gameplay, but just some other things to do during the night phase, Daybreak is your best bet.

If you are looking to really shake the gameplay up, Vampire definitely adds interesting mechanics. I just think for the weight of gameplay that ONUW is at, the new mechanics are a little convoluted. There are definitely people in my game group I wouldn't introduce it to because it would confuse them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One Night Ultimate Werewolf Daybreak

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imran
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DayBreak if you want more of the same. By that, I mean all the depth with the same simplicity as the base game.

Vampire if you want a "gamer's version" of One Night. I suggest this only if you often play with the same group. If you don't, Vampire can get confusing for new players. By the same token, the Epic Battles (Vamp vs. WW vs. Villager) are fun with experienced players, but don't dare play with newbs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.