$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
32.6% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and Targets.
mb
So I see that section 8.3 says to pay production cost as described in the player aid chart to mobilize units. And except for the Soviet Leg units which come in at full strength, ground units are mobilized at reduced strength, and air unit are mobilized with 4 sorties. Pretty darn clear.

But then I look at section 30.3.2 in the Playbook, which describes the set-up tables for the scenarios and explains the terms. It says that if there is an "R" called out in that column of the table, the unit is set-up or mobilized reduced. And if there is a number under the "S" column, that air unit is set-up or mobilized with that number of sorties. That sounds pretty clear, too.

I'm playing the Main Event, and in the set-up tables for the scenario not a single unit mobilized from the Turn Track has an "R" or "S" to indicate they should come in reduced or with sorties (although I do see some annotated in the "R" and "S" column in other scenarios). But section 8.3 does not make any allowance for this -- there's nothing I can find that says "ignore 8.3 for new units coming in from the Turn Track."

So -- is there any difference in mobilization procedure for new units and for those mobilizing after previously being eliminated? If not, what am I missing in the rules? And if so, where is it spelled out?

Apologies if this is glaringly obvious in the rules, or if it is answered in another thread. I just couldn't find an answer.

Thanks for helping!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry it wasn't clear to you.

Basically, if the scenario doesn't specific a specific strength or sortie level, it sets up at full strength or no sorties and you follow the mobilization rules for units that come off the Turn Track or otherwise get into the Mobilization box from having been eliminated.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Sal. So to summarize:

- New units coming to the Mobilization box from the Turn Track must be purchased using Production points, but whether they are brought in reduced or full strength (or with or without sorties) is determined by the scenario set-up table.

- Units in the Mobilization box that were previously eliminated are bought using Production points and are brought in primarily reduced (except Soviet Leg units) or with 4 sorties as specified in section 8.3 and the player aid chart.

Sound right?

Thanks for designing such a great game. Having fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Any unit purchased from the Mobilization box enter reduced or with sorties.When Sal says "follows the mobilization rules ... ", that means all units follow that procedure, whether reinforcements or eliminated units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, got it I think.

I think I was trying to rationalize things too much -- it seemed to make more sense that a new unit mobilized would be trained and deployed at full strength, while one mobilized after being eliminated would be reconstituting and deploy at a lower state of readiness. Another case of "follow the rules, don't read between the lines."

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you were just over thinking it. The set up tables are just that, for set up purposes only. While playing, the standard rules apply to everything unless superseded by a scenario's special rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Feralkoala wrote:
No. Any unit purchased from the Mobilization box enter reduced or with sorties.

Except for those pesky Russian regular infantry units that start at full strength.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I was going to add that but am typing on my kindle, where brevity is a virtue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.