Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Heuer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The value of AEG's Big Game Night has been going down for years while the price has been going up. This is definitely the last year we are attending. For $32 each we got to play some AEG games and got a box of air. Take a look:

Total game components in the box:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Smith
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The video isn't working. What were the actual titles/promos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heuer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fixed it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Dennard
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. It was a pretty lame swag box this year. I think I'm done with it, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hampton
United States
Red Bank
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That looks like a giant Love Letter deck. Is that the 8 player version they are releasing later this year with the original Japanese artwork?

While you could probably make your money back selling the games separately to those who prefer the original artwork... yeah, that's a lot of wasted cardboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I stopped going when they no longer had enough open tables for the number of people at the event. Compared to years past, that swag box is just embarrassing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
That is embarrassing shake

I'm seriously ok if they want to give a small amount of games
But to disguise it in a big box of empty boxes?

Wth AEG
Deception is not a way to promote your brand
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to the 2015 BGN after hearing it was so, so great. Well, it turned out to be not so great. So bad indeed that it made a really negative impact on the entire con for me. I would never do it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pullen

Amarillo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. That is sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know this seems like typical AEG goofy behavior to me. I am sure they will be bought out by some company by the end of the year and cash out while the going is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A big box full of mostly empty boxes? Really? I can feel the disappointment just looking at the video
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't understand the empty boxes, what are they supposed to be for. AEG pays money to make those. seems like a waste of money/effort all round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Reid
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abodi wrote:
I really don't understand the empty boxes, what are they supposed to be for. AEG pays money to make those. seems like a waste of money/effort all round.

I had never heard of the Big Game Night thing, but the only way to justify an empty box IMO is if it will replace/improve on an original box for a specific game. I am with you...the money they spent on all those boxes could have added another expansion or two. This empty box practice seems deceptive and takes advantage of a company's longtime customers. Though I suppose it depends on how the event is advertised. Do they promise to provide a a box full of stuff usually? Even if it is just a perk that participants have grown to expect, that kind of disappointment won't bring in new people or even keep the regulars.

I felt your pain watching that box open and reveal box after box of emptiness!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom L
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
READ A BOOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
The "empty boxes" have utility if you buy a lot of AEG small box games, and the three empty small boxes are useful for holding loose card games that came in envelopes or similar. I had to pay more than $32 to get this, and I'm happy with it. Maybe the difference is that I knew what it was going in, instead of having it be a "surprise" sprung on me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
rocketkiwi wrote:
The "empty boxes" have utility if you buy a lot of AEG small box games, and the three empty small boxes are useful for holding loose card games that came in envelopes or similar. I had to pay more than $32 to get this, and I'm happy with it. Maybe the difference is that I knew what it was going in, instead of having it be a "surprise" sprung on me.

Was it a surprise?

No idea when this was posted, but it says:

Quote:
Each Big Game Night Box contains the following 4 games from acclaimed designer Seiji Kanai ( Love Letter, Lost Legacy, Cheaty Mages ):
1 copy of Love Letter — Kanai Edition with oversized cards
1 copy of Say Adios to the Villains (Doomtown: Reloaded ™themed Say Bye to the Villains)
1 copy of Eight Epics — Kanai Edition
1 copy of Regality and Religion – Kanai Edition

You will also find:
2 boxes fitted to contain up to 7 games from AEG’s pocket line!
3 empty pocket line boxes to store gaming components such as dice, tokens or even other games!

http://www.meeplemart.com/store/p/62422-AEG-Big-Game-Night-2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Del Arroz
United States
Danville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The game with the paper board is really lame. The co-op/solo game Eight Epics? is meh but at least I don't have a game like that in my collection so that works ok.

Say Adios to Heroes is a reprint -- but I didn't have that one, happy to have the doomtoown art on there.

And Love Letter. Again.

Sad about this I had hoped at least there'd be a trains map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
dachsy wrote:

I was going to say as an environmentally-conscious, self-described far-leftie, that the cardboard waste and over-packaging here is what bothers me the most. But after owning more than 1,000 games at one point, with shelves once filled to bursting with cardboard and plastic (all those old SPI games), that'd be a tad hypocritical of me, I suspect. Still, that amount of goods doesn't need that big a box, honestly. And if you need spare storage for game bits, there are lots of readily available alternatives to a bunch of small cardboard boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett B
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Calling 4 micro games and a bunch of empty boxes "Big Game Night" is just plain daft.

If they called this their "Small Box Game Starter Kit" with "4 games to get you started, and room to add up to 13 more games" I might actually be enthusiastic about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not defending it, but I think "big game night" refers to the actual event that AEG hosts at gencon and that the box is a gift that comes with it

bouchbre wrote:
Calling 4 micro games and a bunch of empty boxes "Big Game Night" is just plain daft.

If they called this their "Small Box Game Starter Kit" with "4 games to get you started, and room to add up to 13 more games" I might actually be enthusiastic about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! A Big Box full of empty boxes.whistle

You guys got seriously boned this year.shake

Did anyone actually express their dismay to AEG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Parham
United States
Vacaville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, what did people expect? It's AEG who just keeps pumping out reskins of Love Letter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm crazy but I'd be fine paying $32 for that stuff. The love Letter looks pretty nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esswhy wrote:
Not defending it, but I think "big game night" refers to the actual event that AEG hosts at gencon and that the box is a gift that comes with it

bouchbre wrote:

I'm pretty sure the only reason people attend that event, which is perhaps the priciest ticket in the whole Con (apart from TrueDungeon) is for the potential swag. Honestly, there isn't a whole lot else going on that one couldn't get anywhere else at the Con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hampton
United States
Red Bank
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Alright already, we agree that the box was very puffed up in attempt to match it's name. Is anyone going to talk about what's in the box? What's with the giant Love Letter cards? Any Doomtown-flavored tweaks to Say Goodbye to Villains?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dachsy wrote:
The value of AEG's Big Game Night has been going down for years while the price has been going up. This is definitely the last year we are attending. For $32 each we got to play some AEG games and got a box of air. Take a look:

Well, I will say this... anybody who doubts that unboxing videos don't convey much should be sent a link of this video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.