Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, just wondering on how people are playing this Insanity card.

Just in case people don't want a spoiler:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Forbidden Words says 'You cannot speak'.

So does this mean the player can't speak or just the character? Both? If the character then what does this effect? I imagine they can't talk to NPCs. Can they cast spells?

How have you played it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CletusVanDamme wrote:
Hi all, just wondering on how people are playing this Insanity card.

Just in case people don't want a spoiler:

So does this mean the player can't speak or just the character? Both? If the character then what does this effect? I imagine they can't talk to NPCs. Can they cast spells?

How have you played it?

My take on it:

We play that the physical person can't speak, only use gestures to indicate his intent (pointing to himself when he wants his turn, pointing at tokens he wish to interact with, etc.) Even though it would be cool to stop him casting spells, we don't know which spells only require gestures and which have a vocal component.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CletusVanDamme wrote:

How have you played it?

The "character cannot speak" option doesn't make sense because, like you have already noticed, what would it mean? This isn't defined anywhere.
FFG would write something along "You cannot cast spells or interact with NPCs" if that would be what they wanted to achieve with this insanity.
So, only the option "player cannot speak" remains, as it's the only interpretation that doesn't introduce any ambiguity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, it's the physical person not being allowed to speak
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My reading is that the intent behind the insanity is that you are unable to communicate with the other players or discuss strategy. If I were nice, I would allow the player to say anything not relevant to the game, like "Do you need more wine?". Technically, the player could write on a piece of paper and show the group... but that's no fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.