Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy has arrived now (in Germany), and after all I read about printing errors, missing tiles etc. I was not sure how happy I was to have backed the game. And then I opened the parcel and all was just… nice. A compact box with just enough space to fit the expansion in but not a lot of air, well-punched and sturdy tiles, pleasing graphics and colours, a nice matte finish, a rulebook that is just a small bit short of excellent. And the Rising Tide board is the most funny folding board I have in my collection, I think.
I can live with the few typos (though I will gladly accept the replacement tiles), most are easily recognized as the result of communcation problems with the printer and maybe some rumbles over the time of the long-winded production process. All in all, I am happy now.

Can't say anything about gameplay yet, but I'll certainly start off with a very positive attitude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't agree more Lutz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a beautiful game. As a native New Englander it hits on that cylinder as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
True. I was travelling New England with New Bedford and Nantucket (and Melville's house in the Massachsetts hinterlands) three years ago, so these games bring back good memories.

I'm also happy to own Moby Dick, or, The Card Game - which I mostly bought as a piece of art respectively Moby-Dick memorabilia. So I can replace the only bland component in the game: the die.

(Image by Travis Hill)

Those dice are just normal D6 with numbers 1-6, just the numbers are represented by whaling/sailing imagery. The 1 is a harpoon, the 2 is moon and sun, the 3 a sextant, the 4 is a compass, the 5 is an anchor and the 6 a ship's wheel.

Haven't seen yet if I can make use of those "whale oil tokens" in NB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much reason to use the tokens, but maybe as the extra points from bonus buildings buildings.

I love the dice from Moby Dick (I also own it), but the die from New Bedford is a 1,1,1,2,2,3 die. So you'll have to do the conversion. I don't know if there's a single good mapping for the icons. Either way, it's only used in the solo game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sivilized wrote:
Not much reason to use the tokens, but maybe as the extra points from bonus buildings buildings.

I love the dice from Moby Dick (I also own it), but the die from New Bedford is a 1,1,1,2,2,3 die. So you'll have to do the conversion. I don't know if there's a single good mapping for the icons. Either way, it's only used in the solo game.

Oops... Obviously I haven't read the rules yet
Excited to do that tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you find a good use for them let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.